Houston
Sponsored by

New Major Beer Fest

6,440 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Ducks4brkfast
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/retail/article/Convention-center-to-host-beer-festival-in-October-5140109.php?t=9b1fdc59ba97c6371e

quote:
For three days in October, the convention center will host Big Brew, a major new festival that aims to tap into the region's burgeoning craft-beer scene by putting 1,000 beers out for public sampling, along with seminars on what you're drinking and where it comes from.

To satisfy Houstonians' growing passion for pairing food with beer, some of the biggest chefs in town are lining up 40 local restaurants for an evening of culinary improvisation.

"We really do think we can make this a beer-tourist destination," said Big Brew organizer Clifton McDerby of Food & Vine Time Productions.

McDerby will formally announce the Houston event in a joint appearance Tuesday with Mayor Annise Parker and Luther Villagomez, general manager of the Brown center and chief operating officer of Houston First Corp., the quasi-public agency that runs the city's convention business.

Big Brew will run Oct. 23-25, highlighted by two sampling sessions on the final day, each of which is expected to draw thousands.

redag06
Neck Beard Convention
Furlock Bones
AG
In
BarryProfit
That looks awesome. In for sure.

FYI - I took my little boy to that model train convention last weekend. He loved it, I would have liked it more if they served beer.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Sounds like a bunch of dorks talking out their asses while drinking beer out of one ounce cups.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Neck Beard Convention
This. Whose ass will I have to kick to get a Budweiser at that festival?

[This message has been edited by 3rdCoastAg (edited 1/16/2014 10:04a).]
slickag2007
AG
Sounds awesome to me.
RK
AG
quote:
Whose ass will I have to kick to get a Budweiser at that festival?
65532ag
Im interested
OnlyForNow
AG
Barry, I figured it was either dad's with boys or pedos.

How many pedos did you count?
David Carr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWBV7yKWhWE
swimmerbabe11
already putting it on my calendar
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I took little man to the train thing too. He freaking loved it. Like most 3-year old boys he loves him some trains.

I was too busy dealing with him though to count the pedos. But I don't really think it's pedos, just 60+ year old men who grew up in the 40s & 50s when toy trains were really cool.

I could be wrong though.
Mustang1
AG
No A&M football that wknd either
BarryProfit
Yeah I wouldn't really say the old men working the show were pedos, just old crusty nerds.
Frok
AG
I love how beer has become the new indie-bands. The more obscure the beer is, the cooler it is.

Al Bula
AG
quote:
I love how beer has become the new indie-bands. The more obscure the beer is, the cooler it is.
I don't love it at all. This is not something you make a sarcastic remark about.

Obscure to me is the once-a-year camo can of Lone Star that comes out in fall. Can I get a Hell Yeah?
Texaggie7nine
I agree that falling over a beer because of it's rarity is stupid. For me it's all about taste. That's why I have no issue with buying the "Best of" Belgium Beer cases with Hoegaarden, Leffe and Stella.

Lot's of beer snobs will snicker saying that's something novice beer drinkers get.

I don't give a **** if it's distributed nationally, Leffe is good. Stella is good. Hoegaarden is bad ass.

There's levels of beer snobbishness. While the "I just drink to get drunk" pissbeer drinkers who will continue to get Miller/Bud/Coors light and think they are drinking great tasting beer can and should be laughed at, there is no need to thumb your nose at people that have been awakened to what real premium beer should taste like but don't only limit themselves to beer that most people cannot find.

Your Band analogy would be like the Bud/miller/coors drinkers all like and stick with Nickleback or Train or Black Eyed Peas while the reasonable beer snobs at least go with some good Foo Fighters or Muse or Chili Peppers and don't really care how big the bands have gotten because they don't base their liking of a band on how few people know about them.

[This message has been edited by Texaggie7nine (edited 1/16/2014 3:29p).]
OXDL45
AG
Looks interesting.
Vernada
AG
I'll be there Saturday.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Must be exhausting tracking down all these obscure beers and trying to stay ahead of the other hipsters on the bleeding edge of beer geekdom.

I actually really enjoy those beers but want to throat punch the neck beards.
Scientific
AG
Suspenders and wingtips will be in full force.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
Sounds like a bunch of dorks talking out their asses while drinking beer out of one ounce cups.

So Gingerman but with tiny cups?
Jock 07
AG
quote:
For me it's all about taste. That's why I have no issue with buying the "Best of" Belgium Beer cases with Hoegaarden, Leffe and Stella.

who will continue to get Miller/Bud/Coors light and think they are drinking great tasting beer can and should be laughed at

You do realize those are brewed at Bud breweries, right?
Not Funny
Tom Hagen
AG
http://www.bigbrewhouston.com/grandtasting.shtml

$45 for 24 one ounce "tastings". Sounds like a steal.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
For me it's all about taste. That's why I have no issue with buying the "Best of" Belgium Beer cases with Hoegaarden, Leffe and Stella.

who will continue to get Miller/Bud/Coors light and think they are drinking great tasting beer can and should be laughed at

You do realize those are brewed at Bud breweries, right?

Obviously you didn't read my post. I said beer snobs would thumb their noses for that reason. I don't give two ****s where it's brewed or if it's a small craft brew or major brewery. All I care about is taste.
7nine
CATAGBQ04
AG
I think I'll give it a whirl
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
http://www.bigbrewhouston.com/grandtasting.shtml

$45 for 24 one ounce "tastings". Sounds like a steal.

So $45 for a pint and a half. No thanks.
Texaggie7nine
I would bet it works out for a lot more beer than that. Either larger samples or forgotten punches
Texaggie7nine
quote:

Get your very own tasting cup and let your taste buds explore! Each guest will receive a tasting card for 24 one ounce tastings of their choice. Should you want to continue to sample the selections, additional tasting cards are available for only $2 which allows for another 12 one ounce tastings
spadilly
Ducks4brkfast
AG

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO TRY NEXT
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.