Houston
Sponsored by

Pigeons in Houston parks

5,862 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by HBCanine08
RoseRichAg01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which parks in Houston have an abundance of pigeons? (Need to trap some for the dog.) Thanks.
slurpee
miller outdoor theater. they have somewhere in the range of eleventy billion to twelvety zillion.
sts7049
AG
west campus in CS.
Texaggie7nine
If you dog was worth his salt he would catch them himself
RoseRichAg01
Yeah, who doesn't want a pointing dog that doesn't point, 7nine? Thanks for the suggestion on Miller. Joking aside, West Campus might be closer to me than Miller. Maybe I'll just try Hermann.

Edit: My bad, didn't realize that Miller is in Hermann. Thought it was up north somewhere. I'll definitely head there. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by RoseRichAg01 (edited 5/11/2011 2:38p).]
aggiedent
AG
FYI from The Migratory Treaty Bird Act:

quote:
It is illegal to transport, trap or kill native non-game adult birds like Blue Jays or Mockingbirds without a permit, even if they are harassing birds at nestboxes or feeders.

Texaggie7nine
I thought pigeons fell under "dove".

RoseRichAg01
Pigeons are technically rock dove. They are not native, though, so wouldn't fall under that law. Does Houston have a law about that? Maybe. But I'm removing a nuisance species at no cost. I'll take my chances with going to the pokey.
Texaggie7nine
From a google search.

quote:
According to section 6-5 of the Houston and Wylie Texas Animal Control Ordinances, it is unlawful for anyone other than a peace officer or approved animal control officer to catch or impound any animals, including pigeons.

Read more: What are the Pigeon Control Laws in Houston? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_5911819_pigeon-control-laws-houston_.html#ixzz1M4kSbPH4

RoseRichAg01
Well, that'll just make it more fun. Yall sure are protective of pigeons.

[This message has been edited by RoseRichAg01 (edited 5/11/2011 3:04p).]
Ryan the Temp
AG
Tranquility Park downtown. I've been ****ted on one too many times.
CONCATENATE
AG
RATS WITH WINGS!

Trap 'em all!
RoseRichAg01
Hermann seems like it's got easier access (read easy to hop in my get away car and get out of). It's a necessity since I'm sure 79 is gonna alert the park police.
David_Puddy
AG
WE HAD A DEAL!
David_Puddy
AG
Jerry: You ran over some pigeons? How many?

George: What ever they had. Miranda thinks I'm a butcher but it's not my fault is it? Don't we have a deal with the pigeons?

Jerry: Of course. We have a deal. They get out of the way of our cars, we look the other way on the statue defecation.

George: Right! And these pigeons broke the deal. I will not accept the blame for this.
slurpee

go get 'em!
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Yall sure are protective of pigeons.

I'd be happy for you to trap em. Just wanting you to be informed.

Big Cat `93
AG
Grackles are the true winged rats. Hateful beasts.
RoseRichAg01
Yeah, I know, 7nine. Just joking around. Grackles are native birds, so they would be protected under federal law. I guess I'll take my chances with the pigeons.
slurpee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b4TU_R7J3c&feature=related

that's some news i can handle.
tx4guns
AG
Make sure you check them for bands in case they are someone's racing pigeons. Mike Tyson would be angry. DUMan08 is the resident pigeon expert.
aggiemike02
AG
Please update us on how this goes.
MouthBQ98
AG
The Houston city code contradicts state law regarding the European Feral Rock Dove, possibly, and the lawful hunting and elimination thereof.

Technically the Pigeon is an invasive pest, and there are very few restrictions on killing them by lawful means with the appropriate hunting license.

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 5/12/2011 10:35a).]
TheOriginalCaptMac
Any update on your adventure. I live in Friendswood and am the proud new owner of a 14 week old GSP and am looking for pigeons to use for training as well.

I had thought about Herman but was concerned the "po-po" or the tree huggers would be a bit of a problem.

I have traps and nets.

I have had some success catching them under the overpasses near my home but not in the quantity that would support a rigorous training regime.

I would be willing to purchase homers if they are cheap. If anyone has a contact that might want to thin their coups of poor performing homers?

Mac
KW02
AG
Corner of Woodway and 610
Post removed:
by user
RoseRichAg01
Congrats on the dog, Mac. Best place that I found was not a park, but a retention pond next to some retail and across from some overpasses. Retention area has some concrete in it that the birds like to hand out in. I guess it's easy feeding.

I did lose a trap there because I decided to go drink some beers while I waited. Came back and the area was mowed. I guess the *******s took it when they cleaned the place up.

Quality Feed in the Heights is the only feed store that I've found carrying pigeons. They aren't cheap, though. I agree that racing rejects is probably the best bet, but I haven't found anyone in my area.
88jrt06
AG
I counted 52 doves (not pigeons) in just the TOP of a large tree hanging over my backyard. Those are just the "hanging-out" crowd. Add at least 100 more flitting around, and it's pure Hitchcock....(and **** central).
Way out of control. This ain't a one acre lot!

We need more feral cats. Btw, those doves are talented in the air....but total morons otherwise.
HBCanine08
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.