Austin
Sponsored by

Any financial tips for kids Invisalign or braces in Leander-Cedar Park-Austin area?

1,288 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
sdc177
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I start a new job Monday that doesn't provide medical/dental insurance although my compensation will prevent me from getting government handouts. I have twin 15 year olds that will likely need Invisalign or braces this year but i think we prefer Invisalign.

Anyhow, I have picked out a medical insurance plan from the government exchange but need help on the dental part. I see a lot of dental insurance is limited to $1-$2k per year maximum benefit which doesn't cover much when it comes to orthodontia. I need help figuring out the best way to handle this financially. I am open to any type of dental insurance or any type of discount plan that makes sense for significantly lowering orthodontia costs. Or even just using a specific practice that does a great job and has good prices.

Help me out please
johnson2012
AG
I have adult Invisalign through Wired Orthodontics on lake Creek parkway, but they see tons of kids too. My dentist recommended them. As an FYI, Traditional braces were quoted at like half the cost & would have straightened in a fraction of the time.

Anyways, my dental insurance has a lifetime $1k adult benefit for Ortho. Total cost is just under $5k and the remainder after insurance is being paid monthly through the ortho's office (no affirm or any type of third party) interest free over two years. Two years is the expected time for my treatment so I assume that's where they got the term from. There is a discount if you pay in full early, but I don't recall the details.

As for pricing, I'm a "level 4" of 5 so my treatment was on the higher side. It's all built in to the pricing, so no office fee for check ins, no add on if you need additional trays, etc. It also includes an in office whitening when you are done.

Not an exact answer to your question, but hopefully still a good data point. Highly recommend Invisalign. Just make sure they actually wear the trays as much as the Ortho says.
Mookie
AG
Contribute to an HSA and negotiate via phone/email for a cash price, kind of like buying a car. They all offer the same services.
MaroonStain
AG
I've heard from 20 year Ortho person to not get Visalign(so?) because you'll end up needing actual braces in the future.
Ordinary Man
I had braces back many years ago, '66-'69. I wore a retainer for a few years afterwards until they broke.

Fast forward around 50 years, and my teeth had shifted over the years to where they need straightening again.

The dentist I had for 40 years eventually became trained in orthodontics (Clear Correct/Invisalign) and tried to get me to do it. I resisted for several years since I had other expenses going on. I finally decided to have him straighten my teeth. The program, Clear Correct, took about a year. They used progressive retainers that were changed every two weeks(worn 20 hours/day). It was easy to do and turned out great. I had my wife do the same thing after I had completed mine.

I wear a retainer at night to keep everything in place. The retainers of today are much better than the ones from 50+ years ago.

Clear Correct and Invisalign are similar treatments. My dentist liked the Clear Correct product better than Invisalign at the time. I think he later switched to Invisalign. I'm sure there are incentives for doctors to go with one company or another.

Anyway, I have no complaints about the retainer type method for teeth straightening. The only thing is once you straighten your teeth, you'll probably be wearing a retainer the rest of your life.
CapCity12thMan
AG
seeing how invisalign corrected my kids teeth to now perfect, I don't know that I would argue against it. It was his lifestyle/hassle to have to take them out, rotate them, etc. so it was his choice. He kept up with it religiously an the results are great.

Will he have to have some correction later in life? No clue, and by this time - not my problem, not my cost.
falls91
AG
Advanced Family Dentistry on El Salido Pkwy in Cedar Park has a program through an orthodontist school that reduces the cost quite a bit. I am not sure if invisalign is an option, however.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Wife is currently on braces after Invisalign. If you just need your teeth straightened, don't mind it taking longer because it's less noticeable, it does great. If you need any correction on your bite (over bite or under), then don't do Invisalign, get braces.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.