Wayback burgers...my take

14,091 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
cs69ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wnt about 6 pm yesterday on their second day open.
Very small store front on Texas Ave across from the Kohl's Center in the new rtail bldg where motel was torn down.

Nothing particularly nostalgic re the decor and atmosphere.
Friendly staff of college students still figuring out what they were doing and not able to answer too many questions. But not bad for a new place.

I had the single patty melt, a large chocolate shake and an order of o-fries.$13.28 with tax.

Patty melt was fine. Would have them remove their 1000 Island dressing next time. That belongs on a reuben, not a patty melt.

The ice cream was very average at best. Shake was thin and tasted like DQ. An employee said they use Blue Bunny ice cream. For $4.99, I would not order again. Only nostalgic thing I experienced is they serve the large shake in the tin it is mixed in if you dine in.

The o-fries is a combo of 4 onion rings and french fries. The onion rings are small and not good. Same as you can buy frozen in any store and not as good as some of those. The fries are ok...nothing special.

Not sure where their value proposition is. Nothing really separates them from competition.
I will continue to go to Whataburger and DQ for a better price value, and will keep going to Freddy's, Grub Burger Bar and Koppe Bridge for much better quality and really unique products and experiences.

This place will get som biz based on being on Texas Ave and close to TAMU. Lots fof better choices in BCS.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I will reserve judgement until the King of B/CS sends his FTR down from the heavens above before I know what I'm supposed to think....
Frio Cielo
I hope they do really well, but I have my doubts about a hamburger joint if it is just average that has limited parking near the entry door, especially when the piazza place goes in next door, and also w/o a drive through.

Lots of people what to get a burger w/o getting out of their auto.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Not particularly encouraging.
FlyRod
His Celestial Majesty hasn't marked the place with his royal seal yet? I'm surprised.

But I'm equally surprised and disappointed no one on this board has taken their "tripletriplechallenge" yet (the 9 patty cheeseburger).
91_Aggie
AG
Did you just order a $5 shake?

Milk and Ice Cream?

You don't put Bourbon in it or anything?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Did you just order a $5 shake?

Milk and Ice Cream?

You don't put Bourbon in it or anything?
halibut sinclair
^ That's a rectangle.
Rearview
AG
quote:
^ That's a rectangle.
I blame the widescreen format. /s
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AggiePlaya
AG
Tried it for lunch today. They only had 1 register open of 2, so the wait in line and food was easily 15 minutes or more.

I paid just over $12 for a classic burger with fries and drink. Burger was OK, but for over $12 I won't be going frequently as there are WAY better options.

Fries were nothing special.

Parking lot is too damn small.

All in all, I do NOT recommend
Frio Cielo
quote:
Tried it for lunch today. They only had 1 register open of 2, so the wait in line and food was easily 15 minutes or more.

I paid just over $12 for a classic burger with fries and drink. Burger was OK, but for over $12 I won't be going frequently as there are WAY better options.

Fries were nothing special.

Parking lot is too damn small.

All in all, I do NOT recommend

And that limited parking is not with the Pizza place open yet next door and many other retail businesses in the building.
Aggie
AG
Those prices are steep.
I don't blame the restaurant because food prices right now are thru the roof.. Especially beef.
Plus rent on a new brick and mortar I'm sure is way overpriced.. Like all the retail spots in this town are.
So their hands may be tied and price point has to be higher than it should be.. But for those prices it may be a short stay .
GSS
quote:
Those prices are steep.
I don't blame the restaurant because food prices right now are thru the roof.. Especially beef.
Plus rent on a new brick and mortar I'm sure is way overpriced.. Like all the retail spots in this town are.
So their hands may be tied and price point has to be higher than it should be.. But for those prices it may be a short stay .

Beef prices are down significantly from the previous five years. Plenty of overhead elsewhere in the restaurant bidness.
91_Aggie
AG
Those $2.50 to $3.00 sodas/tea got to be paid by someone.

For $12.00 you can get a really nice lunch at Maddens... you'll have to tip on it and drink water instead of a $2,00 soft drink... but I'd do that any day than pay $10 for a burger and fries that doesn't stand out in any way.

FlyRod
I usually walk out of Grub having dropped about $12...doesn't seem that steep. I'm also pretty sure no burger chain has ever gone out of business once it opened here.
Mr. Griswold
Stover Boys. RIP
FlyRod
Wasn't a chain. And CMac's burgers were very reasonably priced, IIRC.
Mr. Griswold
Maybe if/when Wayback folds, someone will buy CharlieMac's recipes and open up in that space.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Maybe if/when Wayback folds, someone will buy CharlieMac's recipes and open up in that space.
gag
GiveEmHellBill
AG
That place'll never make it.

I tried to go there for lunch today. It was too crowded. They lost my business for lunch today.
halibut sinclair
quote:
That place'll never make it.

I tried to go there for lunch today. It was too crowded. They lost my business for lunch today.
No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.

-- Yogi Berra
UmustBKidding
Also Texas burger is gone. I miss my #1 special hamburger with egg roll.
Also miss cow hop.
Lots of hamburger places have died including burger King twice
eloc62
Man, i miss the Cow Hop!
dv0478
i miss the handy burger
australopithecus robustus
I thought cow hop was good, but I was young.

Now that I'm older and know food better, sad to say it was bad to terrible.
FlyRod
Place is getting slammed on Yelp. I feel more compelled than ever to check it out now.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
I thought cow hop was good, but I was young.

Now that I'm older and know food better, sad to say it was bad to terrible.
$5 bucks for a cheeseburger and fries (and Maybe a drink... can't remember).

It wasn't bad to terrible. It may have been average. But it wasn't bad.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Place is getting slammed on Yelp. I feel more compelled than ever to check it out now.
Ehhh.....four reviews with all of them mentioning the inexperience of the staff and the price.

The staff should hopefully get better with time and as for price: unfortunately that seems to be the way things are seemingly going. Mooyah Burgers (while good) are pretty darn expensive also.
Mr. Griswold
Friend of mine went the other day. Said it wasn't very good, especially for the price. Bacon was microwaved, cheesefries were dry and only had a small amount of gated cheese thrown on top, etc. Wasn't impressed. Really wish we could get an In-N-Out Burger here.
FlyRod
Welp, I gave it a try. Not too bad, not great. I had the basic single burger and it reminded me of a Whataburger Jr. That's not a criticism, as I like Whataburger Jrs. The folks were friendly there, but service was pretty slow. All I got was the burger and it cost me just under $5.

Not sure what niche they fill, and as others have noted, we have some pretty amazing burger places in the area. Hope they make it.

Being a CT chain, maybe it would have been better to imitate the place that (allegedly) created the burger in CT, Louis Lunch?
CharlieMac
My new Vegan burger concept will open this Spring.. it will be something ENTIRELY different!!
FlyRod
If you're joking, good one. If not...all the luck in the world.
K2T2
quote:
My new Vegan burger concept will open this Spring.. it will be something ENTIRELY different!!
I know you're joking, but I'd be one happy (fat) Ex-Optimist if there was even one measly vegan place in town.
Broncos
quote:

I miss flip n peel.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.