TAMU Professor Retiring to Protest Open Carry

6,221 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Oogway
redball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Texas-AM-professor-retiring-over-campus-carry-law-389762731.html

What say the board?

[edit: link fix]
Max06
AG
His choice, good for him.

Campus will be a safer place with concealed weapons.
chigger
AG
I may disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

-Voltaire
redd38
AG
quote:
What say the board?

People quit all sorts of jobs for all sorts of reasons. That's their prerogative, but someone quitting a job has never bothered or affected me and this one doesn't either.
FlyRod
Yep. Nothing to see here.
Stupe
S
Quitting a job because he's too lazy to look at the law.
SARATOGA
Guns or no guns, 30 years is PLENTY.......

Enjoy the fishing man !
GiveEmHellBill
AG

seems appropriate here.....
aggiepaintrain
AG
Good
InMyOpinion
The only way protesting works is if they most of them quit. Otherwise it's just someone retiring.
medic1969p
His decision and really none of our business
W
AG
there was a question begging to be asked in that interview...considering that the professor was a student at UT-Austin in the 1960's. Maybe the reporter asked it and the answer was edited out
EMY92
AG
The man is 70+ years old, he likely was going to retire anyway but wanted to make a political statement while doing so.
BQ_90
AG
why is this even news. I realize the Eagle doesn't have much else to cover, but is this really news?
Frio Cielo
If my memory is good, I think that this guy was one of the faculty members who opposed the concealed handgun law when it was debated in the mid-1990s. I remember the comment on TV by one of the group that we will see "blood running down the streets from the restaurants in town."

As was the concealed handgun law, reduction in the Blue laws, allowance of horse racing, the lottery, etc., etc., etc. it is primarily much adu about nothing and all it is is the social liberals thinking that they know more about what you should be able to do with your life that you do.

FlyRod
Liberals opposed reducing/eliminating Blue Laws?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
His decision and really none of our business
It is his decision, but it became our business when he announced to the press that that was his reason for his retiring.

As someone said on this thread, if he had quietly retired with that being the reason then that's fine and none of anyone's business. However, when he made sure that people knew his reason for retiring, then it became a news story and the public can react to it.
Oogway
quote:
Liberals opposed reducing/eliminating Blue Laws?

You are not the only one puzzled by Frio's remark, Flyrod.

quote:
As was the concealed handgun law, reduction in the Blue laws, allowance of horse racing, the lottery, etc., etc., etc. it is primarily much adu about nothing and all it is is the social liberals thinking that they know more about what you should be able to do with your life that you do.

*bolded mine

Not for certain what definition of social liberal is being used here. I mean I get the inference with gun control and the use of the word 'liberal,' but its juxtaposition with the prohibitive alcohol laws, gambling, etc that have historically been linked with religion is rather interesting.
Therein lies the intrigue, daring and danger with words and labels and meaning. Or the sentence structure simply needs some work. Something for me to ponder.
AgCPA
AG
The inability to see logically the difference between a crazed lunatic and a CHL holder, or the inability to understand that if someone wants to carry a weapon in to do harm, they don't worry about any sort of law.. on the part of some faculty makes clear more than ever how some of them have NO COMMON SENSE AT ALL !!!! While they can split the proverbial atom they couldn't run a lemonade stand at a profit... Please find a lab to stick these types in let them do research and never give their opinion on anything... it just isn't worth it.
Stupe
S
I said all of that in one sentence.
BrazosDog02
AG
quote:

seems appropriate here.....

Worth reposting. That yahoo is educating your children. Good riddance.
techno-ag
AG
Good riddance.

AgsWin2011
AG
Good. Get the liberal hippies out of here and send their ass to Austin!
Mr. Griswold
Guy was crazy when I had him 15 years ago. Used to talk about how we'd all get radiation cancer if the HVAC in HEEP ever stopped running.
doubledog
If he was an assistant professor this would be news.
Post removed:
by user
FlyRod
Interesting little Staff rule I found under "terms of use:"

TexAgs.com will not tolerate hateful speech, degrading remarks, or personal attacks made about other posters, athletes/coaches/faculty at Texas A&M University, or anyone else
Loaded
AG
quote:
The man is 70+ years old, he likely was going to retire anyway but wanted to make a political statement while doing so.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Bye, Felecia
techno-ag
AG
quote:

TexAgs.com will not tolerate hateful speech, degrading remarks, or personal attacks made about other posters, athletes/coaches/faculty at Texas A&M University, or anyone else
Remember that next time y'all gripe about Sharp.
FNG
Sharp isn't faculty.
Capn Mac
Much ado about nothing. You have to be 21 to apply for an LTC. Or, you need to be military with a hitch in, or, about 20 or 21 years old. So, 3/4 of the student body is not going to be (legally) armed.

Really, Faculty probably would have to more pay attention to how they treat low-level staff.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
So a guy who spends is whole professional life, living off the state of Texas dole, is overpaid, could not be fired, works 10 hours week and gets a huge retirement and retires.

We need more of these people to retire.

This would be news if he refused his retirement.

He probably set his retirement date and then called all of the new media to announce his "protest".

KBTX was the only rube to fall for this phony story.

He will now double dip and teach somewhere else and continue to live off the taxpayer.
AgsWin2011
AG
quote:

Well it appears he is no longer part of the A&M faculty. I'm not so sure about the "or anyone else" part. Guess we need to go back and start banning people for speaking poorly of tceh tards and sips.
BrandoC
AG
Eh, let him retire.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.