TAMU Professor Retiring to Protest Open Carry

6,217 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Oogway
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How do you not let someone retire?
Prescient
I'm glad he's retiring. He has no place in higher education. Here's why. Higher education is about developing critical thinking skills to overcome emotion driven thought. His reason for retiring is completely irrational. His fear is that someone with a concealed carry permit will pull his/her gun and shoot someone. Concealed carry on campus first appeared in the United States in Utah in 2004. Since then HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of students have attended Utah's public universities and colleges without a SINGLE incident. Not one. In the intervening period, 17 other states have similar laws and not once, never, has there been any incident involving a concealed carry permit holder inappropriately using their weapon against another. Not ONCE! Millions of students, and not ONE concealed carry incident. Contrast that with the 38 incidents of mass shootings by those without concealed carry permits on America's public university and college campuses since 2004.

Critical thinking would lead one to the conclusion that it is not the student with a concealed carry permit who is a threat in the classroom, it is the student without it.

Good riddance. Texas A&M is better off academically without him. Other faculty who feel similarly should follow his lead.
Crusader
Chigger said, "I may disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

But if this old, liberal, kook of a professor had his way, the only way you could defend him to the death is with a stick. The bad guy would still have a gun, regardless. And guess who would win that fight.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
quote:
3/4 of the student body is not going to be (legally) armed.
More like 99% of the student body is not going to be armed. An estimated 200 or so undergraduates out of a student body of 60,000+ will have a license and will carry daily. In other words, about one or two students per major.
cz308
quote:
quote:
3/4 of the student body is not going to be (legally) armed.
More like 99% of the student body is not going to be armed. An estimated 200 or so undergraduates out of a student body of 60,000+ will have a license and will carry daily. In other words, about one or two students per major.
More curious how many faculty and staff carry. Students are almost common knowledge since the majority have to be 21.
FlyRod
SurveyMonkey to the rescue?
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
So a guy who spends is whole professional life, living off the state of Texas dole, is overpaid, could not be fired, works 10 hours week and gets a huge retirement and retires.

We need more of these people to retire.

This would be news if he refused his retirement.

He probably set his retirement date and then called all of the new media to announce his "protest".

KBTX was the only rube to fall for this phony story.

He will now double dip and teach somewhere else and continue to live off the taxpayer.

You don't understand how his retirement works. If he has a 503b, which he most likely does, it works just like your 401k. He will not be living off the dole.

Even if he has TRS, which most profs do not opt for that, he will have contributed thousands upon thousands of dollars to it over his career. So still not living off the dole.

That said, I strongly disagree with his views on campus carry.
SumAggie
bye bye!
Oogway
quote:
So a guy who spends his whole professional life, living off the state of Texas dole, is overpaid, could not be fired, works 10 hours week and gets a huge retirement and retires.
1. IMO the word 'dole' means the recipient is unemployed. This man was providing a service to the state in the form of teaching.

2. How much he was compensated for his service is determined by the department and the University. How important is the quality of teaching to you? Would you like High School, the Sequel?

3. I believe he was a Senior Lecturer which is a non-tenured position and on a renewable contract at the discretion of a department. Even tenured professors can be fired. It is a myth that they cannot be fired. However, the grievance procedures are different I believe.

4. I have no idea how many classes the man taught, but many teachers work outside of their classroom.

5. No idea what his retirement package was.

We need more of these people to retire. In this regard, A&M will probably be announcing another round of faculty buyouts because it enables them to trim their salary budgets. This may mean one or two of those 'big name' folks you see brought in for major pay because on paper and in the news it looks good, but it also means more lecturers that mostly do no research. So, more people like this fellow and less of the tenure track researchers. It's a trade-off.

This would be news if he refused his retirement. Huh? How do you refuse your retirement?

He probably set his retirement date and then called all of the new media to announce his "protest".

KBTX was the only rube to fall for this phony story.

He will now double dip and teach somewhere else and continue to live off the taxpayer. Quite a few professions do that, don't they? Retire and then work a little.

Bolds are mine.

GiveEmHellBill summed it up succinctly on page one, but I wanted to address some of the above comments. I am not employed at A&M, but I have a student there so I try and learn as much as I can about how things work. The retired lecturer has his opinions and he is entitled to them whether I share them or not.

The fellow had his say and now will, hopefully, retire and find some clouds to talk to.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.