IAH travel route/times?

1,563 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiegal99
Egg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know the best time to leave CS if I need to catch a flight Tuesday 11:10AM out of IAH? I assume 6 to 290, etc. is the best route at that time? Thanks in advance!
aggiegal99
290 has been crazy lately. Check the traffic before you go. On Saturday it was totally shut and was traffic hell for miles.

We went Hwy 30 to 1486 in Shiro to Richards, then over to 1375 through the National Forest to I-45 to Hardy Toll Road to airport. The route seems crazy, but it was worth it to us to avoid 290.
aggiegal99
https://traffic.houstontranstar.org

I would leave by 7.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
7 is a good time to aim for or 715 should be ok too.

If money isnt that biga deal i always just stay in Houston at one of the airport adjacent hotels if i have a flight the next morning. If you are leaving your car parked at the airport you may find tha the cost to park eats into a hotel bill anyway since most those hotels allow you to leave your car there.

This way you dont need to worry about traffic complications.
techno-ag
AG
Agreed 290 is gruesome right now. They've got it necked down between concrete construction walls in places, and it makes for pitiful driving even when traffic is flowing.

OACR's hotel suggestion is spot on. It takes all the angst out of getting there on time for a morning flight, and the hotels have been good places to leave the car, in our experience.

The shuttle is another option to avoid driving in that mess. Let somebody else do it while you read a book.
mgreen
I have been.doing hwy 6 to 290 and cutting over on the new 99 parkway to 249 and then to the beltway 8.and that avoids all the 290 construction both ways. MapQuest still sends you 6 to 290 to beltway 8 but check traffic of you want to roll the dice that way.
Lone Stranger
mgreen's suggestion is what I have been doing this summer to avoid 290. If leaving at 7 I might also consider the path mentioned farther above to the Hardy Toll Road. That can be a decent option at that time of day compared to 290 in its current state.
Egg
thanks everyone!
Kashchei
AG
I second the shuttle. I used it a few weeks back. They leave extra early to allow for traffic, accidents, etc. Sure enough, there was a wreck on 290, but I made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Driving in Houston is crazy stressful; sit back and let them do it. Well worth the $40 IMO.
gettingitdone
We take 105 to 45 and generally make really good time
SumAggie
6 to 290 to Beltway 8. Leave home at 7:00am and enjoy having coffee and breakfast before your flight leaves!
Tailgate88
AG
Just download the Waze app. Thank me later.
Capt.Starbuck
The Hardy Toll Road now connects to Grand Parkway and Hardy dumps you right out at the airport. So travelling should be really easy now, 290 - 99 - Hardy - IAH. I can't wait until 99 goes all the way around to East of Houston, will make travel so much easier.
redball
Easterwood for the win! And before anyone bashes our little airport, I've flown 3-4 times a month for the past 3 years and have only been stuck twice.
aggiegal99
I hate the lights on 105 about as much as I hate 290 right now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.