Bryan Flooding issue

8,422 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by techno-ag
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, let me understand, people believe there is almost zero chance of their house being flooded if it is not on a FEMA map? Do people understand what those maps are?
tb9665
Like I said earlier. I carry flood insurance and have never been flooded. But with the creek behind me in the Oaks and the city trying to build along highway 6 where the creek goes, who knows what can back up later from the drainage being changed. Also, we are not on the 100 year flood plain.
PS3D
I would not call one million to buyout repetitive flood houses as "handouts", first off.

Secondly, to prevent future problems, they need to tear down the buildings most susceptible to flooding. Houston's torn down entire neighborhoods, and there's still major flooding problems along certain corridors. Certainly Bryan could tear down a handful of houses.
Ornlu
AG
The funding for the voluntary buyout program is split between all parties. I think for the Harris County instance of it, it was like 60% FEMA, 10% County, 15% City, and then the homeowner took a 15% loss on the property. For the Austin version (from the 2013 flood along Oyster Creek), it was like 50% FEMA, 40% City, and the homeowner took a 10% loss.

This is NOT a windfall for the homeowner. It's merely a "my property that I thought was worth X isn't worth nearly that and I need to get out without having to declare bankruptcy".
Sojur
10% loss based on cost or current appraisal district value?
Ornlu
AG
quote:
So, let me understand, people believe there is almost zero chance of their house being flooded if it is not on a FEMA map? Do people understand what those maps are?
No, people do NOT understand what those maps are for. But then again, 80% of Americans don't know how many Senators are in congress. Those same people are why we have to have these:

Those of us who produce Flood Insurance Rate Maps for a living are frustrated by this but I'd imagine no more so than accountants whose clients don't understand compound interest.
Ornlu
AG
Bump for new developments in the news. http://wtaw.com/2016/08/18/bryan-council-continue-flood-control-discussion-flood-victims-call-action/

Seems that (Surprise!) FEMA had no action at all, not even constructive criticism.
mazag08
AG
quote:
I don't know about that exact area but yes a lot of flood zones have been redrawn in Bryan in the last few years. For the most part the zones are way over stated and a lot of people are forced to have flood insurance that will never ever need it.

With that said, a 4th grader could look at some of those homes on Willowbend and see that they will most likely flood. I know at least one has flooded multiple times before the current owners bought it knowing it's history. Not sure if they are part of the complaining group though.
I was the buyer's agent on that home.

They are definitely not complaining. They love the house and understand that the low point in the living room is going to be underwater at least once a year. Not my cup of tea, but they got what is otherwise a really cool house for dirt cheap.

The city didn't want them to buy it and they had to sign a ton of paperwork before closing. The city wanted to tear it down and use that lot as detention. They aren't allowed to make any improvements to the back yard, that was part of the deal.
Frio Cielo
quote:

To me, In a flood zone or out of one really isn't the issue. The issue is should the taxpapers pay to purchase the houses that were flooded?

Should the taxpayers pay for my house if it gets struck by lightning? Or gets destroyed due to a wildfire? Or, unknown by me, gets destroyed by termites? How about if my house becomes severely damaged due to extreme shifting of our clay soil?

Again, each case should be evaluated based on the merits of the situation, but if a buyer purchases a house that has flooded in the past or is in a flood prone area and the city didn't change the lay of the land causing a higher flood risk, I see no reason for the taxpayers to foot the bill.
Frio Cielo
quote:
quote:
No, people do NOT understand what those maps are for. But then again, 80% of Americans don't know how many Senators are in congress. Those same people are why we have to have these:

Those of us who produce Flood Insurance Rate Maps for a living are frustrated by this but I'd imagine no more so than accountants whose clients don't understand compound interest.

Easy math. 57 states x 2 senators per state. 114 senators.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dummy, it's 3 senators per state.
FNG
Don't forget Puerto Rico and Guam.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Forget Guam, it already flipped over!!
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Too many Senators standing on one side of the island!
Oogway
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dummy, it's 3 senators per state.

According to my neighbor it is even easier math:
One state--Texas--and all the rest can go to HE doublehockeysticks.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Great 0bama reference!

techno-ag
AG
quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Johnson

quote:
Henry C. "Hank" Johnson Jr. (born October 2, 1954) is the U.S. Representative for Georgia's 4th congressional district, serving since 2007. He is a member of the Democratic Party.

During a House Armed Services Committee hearing on March 25, 2010 concerning the U.S. military installation on the island of Guam, Johnson said to Admiral Robert F. Willard, Commander of U.S. Pacific Command, "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize"
FlyRod
techno-ag
AG
Bryan announces the city will get half a million from FEMA to purchase homes that flood often. The city will throw in some money too and try to buy 4 properties on Mockingbird, McHaney, & Willow Bend.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.