School re-zoning - meeting tomorrow, fyi [Staff Warning on OP 4/13/16]

59,432 Views | 350 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RockInspector
SARATOGA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Except I don't live in Pebble Creek.

Or Williams Creek (if that is what you are thinking next)

The Eastside of the Highway should no longer be cut off in regards to zoning. Lines should be North/South.

And people have mentioned 630am-515pm. 3.5 hours rounds to 4 hours.

And everything has changed for everyone considering that 100k people have moved here in the last 15 years, and growth has been 1 direction (south). My tax rate has changed. The zoning has not (and should've)
Stupe
S
Being zoned to that school prior to the new one being built doesn't make it any less foolish that they are having to pass it up now that it exists.

quote:
Nobody in this district is spending four hours per day on a bus. Kids are not getting in the bus at 6am and getting to school at 8am.

Actually, 3-4 hours of bus stop to back at home time was mentioned at the public hearings.
FNG
I thought you had said you lived on the east side the way you are always white-knighting for them.

Good to know we can just round up our numbers for the sake of argument.

Seriously, it makes it hard to buy into your arguments. Much like someone saying "we don't need more stoplights. If people can't drive safely then it's ok to thin the herd and get them off the road." You know, someone advocating serious vehicular accidents to decrease the number of drivers in town so someone may not have to stop for an extra light on Fitch.

Stick to facts. The fact is that students on the east side are still going to attend the outstanding high school they were always zoned for. The west side of the highway has exploded with growth, especially south. That's not going to stop, as much as I wish it would.

When that giant subdivision gets built where the racetrack is we will see all of this play out again at some point. We will end up with Peach Creek high school or Santa's American G.I. Museum Wonderland high school. And CSISD will finally get around to pushing Navasota ISD back across the county line.

And Pebble Creek and Williams Creek will still be zoned to Consol.

It's amazing the amount of weeping and gnashing of teeth on this subject.

We are not talking about the difference between a kid going to St. John's and Jack Yates in Houston. This district has outstanding schools at all levels. It has really good parental involvement compared to many other areas. Both high schools produce excellent students.

Nobody is "going without" here and nobody is on a bus for 2 hours each way.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I want both High Schools to have identical amenities & staffing. PERIOD.

FNG
quote:
Being zoned to that school prior to the new one being built doesn't make it any less foolish that they are having to pass it up now that it exists.

quote:
Nobody in this district is spending four hours per day on a bus. Kids are not getting in the bus at 6am and getting to school at 8am.

Actually, 3-4 hours of bus stop to back at home time was mentioned at the public hearings.

So we are including walks from the bus stop to back home now?

Are we going to start adding in wait times for kids in the car rider line if mom or dad was late picking up one day and round that up as well?

I know what time the bus comes by our street and we live pretty far out. Even going to the "closest" high school to our house, the kids on our street are on the bus the same amount of time as those going from the east side to Consol.

The bus came by yesterday morning at 6:35am. When we were zoned to Consol before CSHS was built, the bus came by at 7:05am. Yes, it takes more time on the bus to get to the closer school. Surprised there has not been a NIMBY rant thread about that yet.

And nobody on the east side is "passing up" a new school. They go more north instead of heading west, but the distance is a few miles. People make it sound like they are bussing kids to Hearne or something while driving past the front windows of the new high school.
FNG
quote:
I want both High Schools to have identical amenities & staffing. PERIOD.

Please list all of the districts in the state where this situation exists and give the formula for how it was achieved.

I'll hang up and listen.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Magnolia.

How about just a FAIR distribution of resources and staffing?

Stupe
S
I find it amusing that you are telling someone else that it's hard to take them seriously due them exaggerating.
SARATOGA
But if Consol no longer existed ???? Then what ?

How much of a barren student and family free urban wasteland must exist around a school for someone to broach the idea of closing up shop ?

At some point there is a line right ? Doesn't there logically have to be a number ?

If 15000 kids live south of Barron, and 1000 kids live north of Barron, then at what point do we close up the school nearer the 1000 and just bus those 1000 down to where the 15000 are. The schools should follow the population majority. The few kids that live in the urban setting should be bused out to where the schools are.

And since you seem to enjoy my exaggerations. Even if 1 school was significantly WORSE than the other school by academic measures, I'd still believe that distance is the only thing that matters, and I'd be fine with my kids going to the worse, yet closer school.

The counterpoint to that argument is that all other things being equal, one school is worse because it is further away, wastes my time driving, and the districts money busing kids 2 ways, as opposed to just busing kids 1 way. I grew up in a town similarly sized to College Station. I walked to elementary school, walked to junior high, was driven for one year to high school then drove myself the rest of the time. So busing really only exists because of decades of poor and negligent planning by a school board.
FNG
quote:
I find it amusing that you are telling someone else that it's hard to take them seriously due them exaggerating.

Glad you are amused.
conc3rned
quote:
I, and a lot of other people, think that they are so concerned with how the "comparable composition" looks on paper that everything else is secondary.

That might be true, but it goes to highlight the difficulty of their decisions.

Even though we know this is not the case, for sake of argument, let's say that we could rezone and comparable composition is guaranteed regardless of what we do.

How do you solve the problem above regarding the split of middle schools? What is the right answer?

100 100 50/50?

50/50, 50/50, 50/50?

50/50, 85/15, 85/15? (committee's recommendation)

Having sat on one of these committees before for the school district, every alternative comes with pros and cons. It's not as simple as "they're so concerned about one thing and not the other".

quote:

If I had a $1 for every over exaggerated statement I heard at those hearings, I'd be on a boat somewhere.

It dumbfounds me how people are so quick to make a decision regarding how everything should work on the basis of one thing. "Closest school, period. Everything else is irrelevant." Except, everything else is NOT irrelevant. Would it be great if we could magically pick all of these schools up and transfer them to the sweet spots in the population? Sure, that would be wonderful. Unfortunately, some of us live in reality. There is NO WAY this community spends $140 million to build another middle school while AMCMS/Oakwood is "repurposed". That is, unless you can find someone to pay $140 million for those two schools as they sit.
FNG
quote:
But if Consol no longer existed ???? Then what ?

How much of a barren student and family free urban wasteland must exist around a school for someone to broach the idea of closing up shop ?

At some point there is a line right ? Doesn't there logically have to be a number ?

If 15000 kids live south of Barron, and 1000 kids live north of Barron, then at what point do we close up the school nearer the 1000 and just bus those 1000 down to where the 15000 are. The schools should follow the population majority. The few kids that live in the urban setting should be bused out to where the schools are.

And since you seem to enjoy my exaggerations. Even if 1 school was significantly WORSE than the other school by academic measures, I'd still believe that distance is the only thing that matters, and I'd be fine with my kids going to the worse, yet closer school.

The counterpoint to that argument is that all other things being equal, one school is worse because it is further away, wastes my time driving, and the districts money busing kids 2 ways, as opposed to just busing kids 1 way. I grew up in a town similarly sized to College Station. I walked to elementary school, walked to junior high, was driven for one year to high school then drove myself the rest of the time. So busing really only exists because of decades of poor and negligent planning by a school board.

15000 south of Barron and 1000 north of Barron?

And Stupe is amused by me exaggerating?

Good Lord. Have seen the number of students that walk to Consol in the morning? Try waiting at the light at Welsh and 2818 in the morning before school. And that's just the walkers from one direction.

I get it. You think everything near Consol is a barren wasteland of student rentals with no school-aged children. Everything north of say Rock Prairie or Deacon is Ag Shacks as far as the eye can see.

We should abandon a facility that had a recent remodel, build a new one on Fitch by Pebble Creek, sell all the busses, and everyone will go to the high school closest to them.

How is this getting paid for exactly?

Selling the Consol property and buildings? Good luck with that. Maybe a mega church will buy it. Oops, wait. That may not help the tax rolls in college station and the county.
FNG
quote:
Magnolia.

How about just a FAIR distribution of resources and staffing?

That's it? One small district?

Have any of comparable size? Maybe some districts that don't drive everyone in town over to Reed Arena to have a graduation ceremony?
SARATOGA
What is the tax base ? Lets do the math. What is the rate now 1.87 per $100 ?

If you moved it to $2.00 per $100 I bet you'd get enough to build 2 middle schools and another high school.

.13 cents on a $250k home is $325 per year. I'd waste more in gas and time driving past CSHS to go to Consol per year.

Tax increase for more schools is easily the better decision.

I'm sure their are people on here who actually know the tax base and what a .13 increase in the tax rate would bring in revenue wise. But my bet is plenty to close old schools and build more to follow the population, and take Navasota to court to push them back across the river.

FNG
I trust the numbers of anyone who uses rounding to win Internet arguments and who uses hypotheticals like "1000 students north of Barron and 15000 south of Barron"
SARATOGA
SO with a little googling....

http://www.brazoscad.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2015-certified_totals_w_levy.pdf

Looks like $1.362 goes to the CSISD. If we make it an even $1.50, then we'd have another ~ 10 million per year in Revenue.

**Not sure how much they have to have before they can start building, or what kind of capital loans school districts can get, if you know feel free to add this information - But still looks like increased tax rates for more schools is the better decision.
pudge
Magnolia's 2 high schools are about the same size or even a little larger than both CSISD schools. Don't forget that Tomball has 2 schools basically the same size as well. Those aren't little districts.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Thank you PUDGE
w8liftr
I'm getting tired of hearing about all this "unprecedented growth that CSISD could never have anticipated" EVERY OTHER YEAR. At some point, the highly paid leadership needs to be held accountable for their inability to cooperate with CoCS and plan AHEAD as developers file plat and permit requests to add rooftops to CSISD.

Maybe, instead of inbreeding by only promoting from within, CSISD should hire an administrator from an ISD in a city that actually faced unprecedented growth and spent several years as the nation's fastest growing city and didn't resort to busing every student across town. Frisco ISD is a good example.
Oogway
You mean rezone (like Frisco) every year? Although CS is also among the top 25 fastest growing districts, this district is not all that large. Frisco has like what, nine high schools scheduled? I think they already have close to sixty thousand students.

conc3rned
quote:
I'm getting tired of hearing about all this "unprecedented growth that CSISD could never have anticipated" EVERY OTHER YEAR. At some point, the highly paid leadership needs to be held accountable for their inability to cooperate with CoCS and plan AHEAD as developers file plat and permit requests to add rooftops to CSISD.

Maybe, instead of inbreeding by only promoting from within, CSISD should hire an administrator from an ISD in a city that actually faced unprecedented growth and spent several years as the nation's fastest growing city and didn't resort to busing every student across town. Frisco ISD is a good example.
Yes. Frisco is a GREAT example. They only rezone every single year. EVERY YEAR. And guess what? They do it based on a whole host of factors - including diversity! In addition, they are only 10% economically disadvantaged. We are NOT the same as Frisco.

The sum total of clueless on this board is astounding... don't let that stop you from saying whatever you like and treating like its the truth.

Ratsa
quote:

The sum total of clueless on this board is astounding... don't let that stop you from saying whatever you like and treating like its the truth.

Amen!
BigBubba
AG
Here is a comparison of drive times from multiple areas to the two different high schools.

Peach Creek to CSHS 10 minutes 6.6 miles
Peach Creek to AMCHS 13 minutes 9.8 miles

Williams Creek to CSHS 8 minutes 4.4 miles
Williams Creek to AMCHS 13 minutes 6.2 miles

Pebble Creek to CSHS 7 minutes 3.5 miles
Pebble Creek to AMCHS 11 minutes 6.7 miles

Saddle Creek to CSHS 7 minutes 4.5 miles
Saddle Creek to AMCHS 12 minutes 7.4 miles

Seeing that the worst case scenario results in 5 extra minutes, I really hope the school board is not worrying too much about the complaints regarding busing.

I live in the Pebble Creek area and my kids don't spend 4 hours on the bus every day, closer to 1 - 1.5 hours. Also, we could care less that we have to drive a few extra miles to go to AMCHS when CSHS is closer.
threecatcorner
Drive times are not that different, but bus times can be very different depending on how the schedule is set up. Someone posted (possibly on a different thread) that at least at some of the schools, elementary kids
were having to wait for the bus to go pick up high school kids and take them home before they even picked up those elementary kids (and high school lets out later). In that case, the school probably just needs to add another bus, but according to what was posted, they did not plan to do so.

Also, some complaints were not comparing drive times so much as the fact that, with one zoning, the kid would have to take the bus or be picked up and dropped off by car and with different zoning, the child was within walking or bike-riding distance of a school. If you live close enough to walk to school, it is reasonable to assume you would go there.

edited to fix typo
Honeybear
High school #3 needs to be built, ASAP. The eventual expansion of CSHS should be tabled. If Frisco can throw up a HS every two years, so can CSISD. Three HS's fed by three feeder pattern MS/Intermediate's. Boundary lines should be north/south. Of this causes a drop down in UIL classification so be it. Problem solved.
birdman
It's not about the high schools with most of the complaints. It's about the middle schools and intermediate schools.

Those kids get off the bus at 510 pm. Which means they can't do any extracurricular activities such soccer, scouting, or whatever the kid might be interested. Just playing in backyard with friends is probably out as well.

It also means that any other kids in the house don't get to do extracurricular activities. The family will be sitting around waiting for kid to get back from daily 3 hour commute. There isn't enough time to go to sports game, etc.
FNG
quote:
It's not about the high schools with most of the complaints. It's about the middle schools and intermediate schools.

Those kids get off the bus at 510 pm. Which means they can't do any extracurricular activities such soccer, scouting, or whatever the kid might be interested. Just playing in backyard with friends is probably out as well.

It also means that any other kids in the house don't get to do extracurricular activities. The family will be sitting around waiting for kid to get back from daily 3 hour commute. There isn't enough time to go to sports game, etc.

Maybe pick the kid up from school?
Sign them up for Kids Klub?
Scout meetings don't start until 6:30 or 7pm.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
High school #3 needs to be built, ASAP. The eventual expansion of CSHS should be tabled. If Frisco can throw up a HS every two years, so can CSISD. Three HS's fed by three feeder pattern MS/Intermediate's. Boundary lines should be north/south. Of this causes a drop down in UIL classification so be it. Problem solved.

Mind if I come over and pick some hundreds off your money tree?
conc3rned
[We have made it clear on this forum that posts with insults or name calling will be removed. We don't cherry pick the sentence, we just remove the post. If you make a post like that again on this forum, you will get a ban. -Staff]

birdman
[We do not allow personal shots at other posters on this forum, either. If you make a post like that again on this forum , you will get a ban. -Staff]
SARATOGA
quote:
Here is a comparison of drive times from multiple areas to the two different high schools.

Seeing that the worst case scenario results in 5 extra minutes, I really hope the school board is not worrying too much about the complaints regarding busing.

I live in the Pebble Creek area and my kids don't spend 4 hours on the bus every day, closer to 1 - 1.5 hours. Also, we could care less that we have to drive a few extra miles to go to AMCHS when CSHS is closer.

Obviously the mileage cannot be disputed. But I question the times. Traffic on the bypass is getting worse and worse, and Consol is like 9 stoplights deep from the Hwy, whereas there is maybe 1 stoplight at Victoria for CSHS.

Also 2.2 + 3 = 5 is incorrect just like 2+7=5 is incorrect.

The zoning is incorrect. By 5 minutes or by 20 minutes. Still INCORRECT.

(and with 1-2 minutes at each stoplight its is closer to 20 more minutes for Consol ONE WAY - because you still got to get back to the highway and onto work.)
SARATOGA
quote:
Mind if I come over and pick some hundreds off your money tree?

Tax Rate increases are less expensive than the gas and time it takes to drive to a school that is further way. Also the district will save money busing 1 way.

conc3rned
quote:
[We have made it clear on this forum that posts with insults or name calling will be removed. We don't cherry pick the sentence, we just remove the post. -Staff]

Thanks for that staff. I am somewhat puzzled that people accusing me of being a shill is acceptable, but that calling people paranoid is off limits. I guess they are just really good a pressing the "we don't like this" button when someone disagrees with their opinion. They have much more experience than I. I'll have to learn to do that.

[We do not EVER remove posts due to the opinion stated by the poster. We only removed them if they are disrespectful towards other posters. Those posts directed toward you were also removed and you knew that. We removed them prior to you making this post. -Staff]

Nevertheless, for those that missed the post in reply to the accusations made against me. I do not work for the district. I have served on a rezoning committee before. I did my research about the parameters the board gave us when I was on that committee. I looked at how other school districts rezoned and the process they used. In other words, I did some basic research. I'm sure it wasn't exhaustive, but I put my time in when I was asked to serve.

When Frisco ISD was mentioned in a prior post as a school district that was so far ahead of us in terms of rezoning, I did a Google search. It wasn't hard. "Frisco ISD rezoning". They have a whole website up about how they rezone every year, how they do it, and what they take into account. They prepare their parents continually not for the fact that they "may" be rezoned, but that it is "likely" that they will be rezoned. It wasn't a hard search. I was asked for a source. Here you go:

http://www.friscoisd.org/departments/attendance-zones/rezoning

Even in the midst of all that, the plain and simple fact is that Frisco ISD is NOT comparable to us. They have about four times as many kids as we do. They only have 10% low SES while we have closer to 40%. They are in essence a giant master-planned community with lots of space and no restrictions on where they can build based on new developments. The notion that they would be used as a comparison to us is ludicrous on its face. Even under those circumstances, the facts still went against the original poster in terms of what was said.

I am tired of the same people on this board always spouting off things without facts to support their statements. Then, that core group starts to accuse you of having an agenda when you don't agree with them. I guess this reaction is in the hopes that the offender will go away.

I have read these types of threads for years and never come on here to say something until this past April because I just got frustrated with the fact that people can say whatever they want and not get checked by somebody.

It's clear that there are a core number of people on this thread who are just determined to continually assume that we have biased, unintelligent people working for CSISD. They seem to think that administrators, board members, and 37 people from all over the district (every neighborhood) who choose to spend their time trying to help our community have some great agenda to push and that somehow they are keeping it all silent.

This is in spite of the fact that CSISD is a very highly rated school district by any objective standard and this process (and standards) is how the city has been rezoned for years. It has worked well for the district and yes, it stands in opposition to how some others have done it. Many of those "others" have failed to maintain equality across their district and their towns are torn apart by it. There are good sections and bad sections of those towns. There are "good schools" and "bad schools". I guess it makes the "rich" parents happy to know that they are in the "right" school. I would rather not live in a town like that. I would rather live in a town where I don't have to worry about where I get "zoned" in terms of education, but rather the biggest worry I have is about the extra five minutes I'm now going to have to drive everyday.

I for one am happy to have my kids go to school here. I am sorry they are not.
kraut
AG
quote:
quote:

Obviously the mileage cannot be disputed. But I question the times. Traffic on the bypass is getting worse and worse, and Consol is like 9 stoplights deep from the Hwy, whereas there is maybe 1 stoplight at Victoria for CSHS.

(and with 1-2 minutes at each stoplight its is closer to 20 more minutes for Consol ONE WAY - because you still got to get back to the highway and onto work.)
You've obviously never been down Barron, Victoria, Eagle or Graham road in the mornings.
BigBubba
AG
quote:
From William D Fitch to AMCHS, I drive north on 6, exit business 6/Texas and turn left on 2818. There are 4 lights, Deacon, 2818, Longmire, and Rio Grande before you get to AMCHS. Seriously, this drive is nothing to complain about. There are not 9 lights and it never has taken me 20 minutes. Yeah, CSHS is closer and only 2 lights but the difference is not significant to be an issue in my opinion.

quote:

Don't know what you are saying here.
quote:
The extra time it might take you to get to work is not relevant and the school board can't take that into account because people work all over the place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.