Moving to bcs want local opinions

10,389 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by gus1390
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Stylecraft is terrible--from what I've heard, all the components are delivered via a trailer, so if anything is damaged or goes missing, they'll just steal the stuff they need, so if you have a bunch of lumber in easy reach, beware.
This is an odd post. All of Stylecraft's components are delivered like every other builder in town - From Ellis on down - on the back of a flatbed truck from one of the local lumberyards. Their framing lumber is delivered in packages, walls and joists, rafters, decking, cornice and so on. This is just like every other builder. Each home is stick built on site - they don't use premade wall panels or trusses.

I'm not going to speak to the quality of the trades they use or what kind of fixtures they put in their homes, but I do know for a fact their homes are constructed in the same manner as every other house in our area. They don't make a habit of building homes by stealing scrap lumber from the neighbor's yard.

Quality isn't just determined by the source of materials, in fact that's a long ways down the list. Strength of the concrete in the foundation is an issue particularly in an area like this one with a heavy clay concentration in the soil. Spacing of studs in walls is another issue. In both areas SC builds to code, meaning they meet the minimum spec to pass inspection. I know other builders at comparable price points that exceed code in those two areas with the knowledge the house will be a better home because of it.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Stylecraft is terrible--from what I've heard, all the components are delivered via a trailer, so if anything is damaged or goes missing, they'll just steal the stuff they need, so if you have a bunch of lumber in easy reach, beware.
This is an odd post. All of Stylecraft's components are delivered like every other builder in town - From Ellis on down - on the back of a flatbed truck from one of the local lumberyards. Their framing lumber is delivered in packages, walls and joists, rafters, decking, cornice and so on. This is just like every other builder. Each home is stick built on site - they don't use premade wall panels or trusses.

I'm not going to speak to the quality of the trades they use or what kind of fixtures they put in their homes, but I do know for a fact their homes are constructed in the same manner as every other house in our area. They don't make a habit of building homes by stealing scrap lumber from the neighbor's yard.

Quality isn't just determined by the source of materials, in fact that's a long ways down the list. Strength of the concrete in the foundation is an issue particularly in an area like this one with a heavy clay concentration in the soil. Spacing of studs in walls is another issue. In both areas SC builds to code, meaning they meet the minimum spec to pass inspection. I know other builders at comparable price points that exceed code in those two areas with the knowledge the house will be a better home because of it.

I'm sorry but no builder (at least no builder at the price point style craft offers) in College Station or Bryan builds stud walls with anything other than 16" OC stud spacing. It's overkill to go to 12" OC and quite frankly interferes with properly insulating the walls. We can meet up at any jobsite in BCS if you like and look at them.

Edit: I'd like to clarify that I have no interest in Stylecraft.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sorry but no builder (at least no builder at the price point style craft offers) in College Station or Bryan builds stud walls with anything other than 16" OC stud spacing. It's overkill to go to 12" OC and quite frankly interferes with properly insulating the walls. We can meet up at any jobsite in BCS if you like and look at them.

Edit: I'd like to clarify that I have no interest in Stylecraft.
You're right. Not convinced that SC builds at 16" on a one story home. I THINK my small cookie cutter was built at 24" because that was code. It was however 20 years ago so maybe I'm wrong. What I do know is that when I built with them they talked about "building code" a lot. It wasn't til I had been around home building for a bit that I realized that was code for bare minimum.
One Louder
AG
We have a Marriott home in Pebble Creek. Hands down, the best quality home we've ever had.
dannyag07
AG
If you are looking for something new construction in the $350,000 range this area is something to look at... Big yard... Open floor plan.... Growing area... Also one next door with a split floor plan.

3325 Fiddler's Green

I am a Realtor, but have no affiliation with the builder or Realtor.
WanderlustAg
AG
I'm looking for a 4 BR house around $225-240K. I'd like a neighborhood similar to the Edelweiss neighborhood - slightly larger lot sizes, sidewalks, families, maybe some more established trees... I know houses in that range are flying off the market, though.

One of the options we're considering is building. I know Stylecraft would be an option in our price point but am curious about other options. I spoke to a rep at one builder and the price of lots, starting at $75K, take them out of my price range. I'm looking for quality but not the bells and whistles that up the price of a build. I don't need arches, high end flooring, hardware, etc. My question is, are there builders known for quality that can build in my price range?

Also, if I'm looking for a lot size at least 6000 sf, what could I expect to pay in the neighborhoods going up right now? What neighborhoods could I consider? Just looking for a ballpark to decide if building is truly an option.

TIA.
Psychag
AG
Pitcock built our first 2 homes in College Station. Great man and very responsive. Our current home was built by Spirit Homes and also excellent build. By the time you request what are considered upgrades at Stylecraft you can have a better quality house elsewhere for about the same amount.
07AgTH
AG
If you actually go look at the details of a home built by stylecraft and then go look at some of the other builders you will be able to see the difference. If not then go with the house you feel comfortable with, mine and my wife's experience we were able to see many issues or would be issues if you lived in the house for 5-10 years. For instance one house we looked at the exterior of the house was molding because it wasnt designed correctly, inside too many little things to list. Not trying to bash them, they have a market and they go after that market, but if you looking to buy a house with 5-10+ years in mind then I would suggest thinking long and hard about those decisions. Remember its still a lot of money no matter what price point you buy at in the BCS market.
gus1390
AG
Lots are at a premium in town. If you choose to build, you're going to be very limited on what you find in that price range.

I would highly recommend giving David Schuler at Spirit Design Build a call.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.