CSPD must have had not hit September quota

12,523 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ksp
Stucco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Reckless driving. Plain and simple. Ticket them all.
It would be reckless to slow to 45mph on the freeway so as to not be speeding on the exit ramp.

AggiePhil
AG
The feeder road in front of Academy is posted 50 MPH.
victory
AG
They were out in full force this morning on 6 southbound. Saw 4 between rock prairie and the watertower.
BCStalk
You have plenty of time to slow to 50 off the highway. If you are concerned about not being able to then slow to 70 before exiting. If you can not safely slow 20mph on an exit ramp then please hand your license over because you obviously can't drive. Not directed at you, just stating my opinion.
Stucco
quote:
You have plenty of time to slow to 50 off the highway. If you are concerned about not being able to then slow to 70 before exiting. If you can not safely slow 20mph on an exit ramp then please hand your license over because you obviously can't drive. Not directed at you, just stating my opinion.
I am talking about the tickets being given while on an exit ramp, not a feeder road.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
You have plenty of time to slow to 50 off the highway.

not all ramps are created equal, some are much shorter than others. If someone is tailing you closely and you hit the brakes from 75 down to 50, that's equals a wreck.

CSPD is just looking for a speed trap and they found it. Too bad they can't spend the extra time in south CS patrolling neighborhoods at night, while countless rims get stolen. There isn't money to be made there though. and for the record, I live in Bryan.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
CSPD is just looking for a speed trap and they found it.
So don't speed.

Problem solved.

Why is that so hard?
gettingitdone
There isn't a speed limit sign posted on the exit ramp that I could find. Am I just blind?
FlyRod
Bill, I fear your brutally honest and elegantly simple logic are lost on this thread.
The Anchor
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
There is a difference between enforcing feeder road speed and un-posted entrance/exit ramp speed.

It is posted. I drove the area in question a couple of days after the OP.
I assume you mean a yellow caution sign with a suggested speed. Those are not indicative of an actual legal speed limit.
I misread your post. I thought you meant the feeder road speed limit. That sign is posted directly in front of you as you exit the highway.
AggiePhil
AG
There is not a separate speed limit for the exit ramp itself. Perhaps you were told wrong or misunderstood. The limit on the feeder road is in fact 50 MPH.
SumAggie
spin it any way you like but issuing tickets on a ramp is chicken shat.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
people who initiate violence in non violent situations.

Hey, you werent wearing a seatbelt so you owe somebody money now. If you dont pay the extortion we will kidnap you at gunpoint if necessary.
taxpreparer
AG

quote:
There is not a separate speed limit for the exit ramp itself. Perhaps you were told wrong or misunderstood. The limit on the feeder road is in fact 50 MPH.
Most exit ramps have cautionary speed signs, but they are not mandatory. The purpose of the ramps is to allow you to exit, or enter, the freeway safely by adjusting your speed to the traffic you will be merging with. Since the speed limit on the feeder road in front of Academy is 50 mph, it would be reasonable to assume the ramp would be 75 mph when you began your exit and 50 mph when you merged to the feeder.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Brewmaster
AG
or don't travel through there... problem also solved.
CrazyAgE
There were 2 motorcycle cops on the south feeder in Bryan between Lowes and the Dodge dealership. I was going down it to eventually get onto the bypass and was set at 55mph (that's the speed limit right there) and another person is exiting right next to me, clearly going faster (my guess 60-65 mph) and the two cops were doing but looking at each other talking and totally didn't see this guy going faster than us others and weaving through the lanes.
Mr. Griswold
Cool story.
fcag
AG
quote:
There were 2 motorcycle cops on the south feeder in Bryan between Lowes and the Dodge dealership. I was going down it to eventually get onto the bypass and was set at 55mph (that's the speed limit right there) and another person is exiting right next to me, clearly going faster (my guess 60-65 mph) and the two cops were doing but looking at each other talking and totally didn't see this guy going faster than us others and weaving through the lanes.

Unless they changed it very recently, I'm fairly certain the speed limit is 50mph over that stretch.
MiMi
S
I was just there. It is 50 on that stretch of the feeder road.
originaltexan
When a cop is needed because somebody got t-boned at a red light, please do NOT call them.

When somebody has a felony warrant and they are cruising thru the neighborhood, please do NOT call them.

I really don't think most people understand how safety and enforcement works.

I would rather see 10 cops patrolling a street than to be paralyzed in a wheel chair because some idiot didn't see the light turn red.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
No kidding.

And when you're clocked at 64 on the exit ramp in front of Academy and you are about to enter a very busy road with a speed limit of 50 or 55 (which should be expected), then guess what? You are going WAY too fast and are going to cause an accident. Those exit ramps are for you to SLOW DOWN so you can safely enter flowing traffic that is going slower than the 75 mph you were just driving on the bypass. Most people start slowing down BEFORE they take the exit ramp.

Yet you come on here and post the story for sympathy and say that you (or as you say, 'your friend') are going to fight the ticket. Good luck with that.

My God. 64 mph on that exit ramp and complaining about a speed trap. Get over yourself.
gettingitdone
given em hell,,,

I am not the OP, nor am I the one that go the ticket. I merely posted a reply to the OP. My co-worker had literally just called us to tell us she had just been ticketed. I have no problem with someone getting a ticket for speeding. The problem is she was clocked as she was exiting hwy 6 ( on the exit ramp) where there is NO speed limit sign. So yes, she should dispute the ticket. Will she win? Who knows, but that cop was wrong in my opinion.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I guess I just think it's common sense to think that an exit ramp going from 75 mph on the bypass to 50 on the access road should be used to decelerate down to the speed limit you are entering onto.

If your co-worker was still going 64 on that short exit ramp, then they were GOING TOO FAST and was never going to be able to slow to the posted speed limit when they entered the access road. Not without some serious braking. Which is dangerous.

If the cop didn't get them on the ramp, they'd still have them speeding in the 50 mph zone once they left the ramp 100 feet away.

You're going on about "posted speed limits" and ignoring that your co-worker was still going too fast off that exit ramp approaching a very active and busy road, with cars jockeying into the left lane to use the on ramp and other vehicles going into and pulling out of the Academy parking lot.

I take that exit often, and I and most other vehicles I follow will start slowing down under the bridge at Southwest Parkway before entering the exit ramp.
originaltexan
Man, I would hate to be a cop these days. You get it from everyone. "Bad," "stupid," "lazy," "nothing else to do," "too rough," "violated my rights," etc.

I would love to see all cops take 24 hours off. Then all the people that bad mouth cops could see what the alternative is.

Go to a major city where the police response time is 45 minutes. I think you would come back to the Brazos Valley and buy lunch for a cop the next time you saw one.

Simply amazed
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
I would love to see all cops take 24 hours off.
Blue flus happen all the time. Things pretty muched function as they always do.

quote:
"violated my rights

In your opinion people don't frequently have their right violated by cops? People died for those rights, don't give other people's rights away so lightly.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
When a cop is needed because somebody got t-boned at a red light, please do NOT call them.
why is a cop needed, again?
Knightlight
I'm sure people who've never been told no are pretty fun to take to jail.
Aggie
AG
Have all the respect in the world for " real cops".
CSPD traffic patrol... Lol yeah not so much.

I drive a lot ,in a lot of different cities and I see more speed traps in CS than anywhere else and it's not even close. Motorcycle cops hiding behind bushes, signs and in hard to see places with their radar guns out just waiting to write that speeding ticket. Yep brave brave souls you are. Keeping the dangerous streets of CS safe.
Bucketrunner
I wouldn't want to see someone start slowing down on the bypass before they reached the exit. That's dangerous. - - Almost as dangerous as someone entering the main road and maintaining at 55 in traffic going much faster. That's really frightening.
MightyDuck
quote:
I guess I just think it's common sense to think that an exit ramp going from 75 mph on the bypass to 50 on the access road should be used to decelerate down to the speed limit you are entering onto.

If your co-worker was still going 64 on that short exit ramp, then they were GOING TOO FAST and was never going to be able to slow to the posted speed limit when they entered the access road. Not without some serious braking. Which is dangerous.

If the cop didn't get them on the ramp, they'd still have them speeding in the 50 mph zone once they left the ramp 100 feet away.

You're going on about "posted speed limits" and ignoring that your co-worker was still going too fast off that exit ramp approaching a very active and busy road, with cars jockeying into the left lane to use the on ramp and other vehicles going into and pulling out of the Academy parking lot.

I take that exit often, and I and most other vehicles I follow will start slowing down under the bridge at Southwest Parkway before entering the exit ramp.
Fortunately, cops can only cite for things that are actually illegal. If it was inevitable, all the cop had to do was wait a second or two for them to hit the feeder.
TLIAC
AG
quote:
given em hell,,,

I am not the OP, nor am I the one that go the ticket. I merely posted a reply to the OP. My co-worker had literally just called us to tell us she had just been ticketed. I have no problem with someone getting a ticket for speeding. The problem is she was clocked as she was exiting hwy 6 ( on the exit ramp) where there is NO speed limit sign. So yes, she should dispute the ticket. Will she win? Who knows, but that cop was wrong in my opinion.
First let me say that I am not saying that your co-worker is not telling the truth. I will say that unless you have both perspectives you do not have the whole story. I will also say that in all the years I have been on TexAgs, I have checked out poster's (with their permission) stories and I have never found the version posted on this forum to be totally accurate. One example was a story where a poster insisted that he was cited for going 1 mph over the limit. He sent me his info so I could verify and I found he was actually cited for 10 over-on a residential street. Big difference.

My point is, there "may" be more to the story than you know.
MightyDuck
Building on the above, I called CSPD and they said for this initiative they are allowing 1000 ft to slow down after the exit ramp ends and the driver is on the feeder road.

Who knows - maybe this thread got some attention and caused them to change their practice, or maybe the original stories aren't exactly accurate.
taxpreparer
AG
There is a lot of difference between slowing down and braking. I used that exit last night; signalled a right turn, took my foot off the accelerator, and coasted down to 65 mph as I got the ramp. Then I braked to slow to 50 as I reached the frontage road. Easy peasy and safe on both the main lanes and The frontage road.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
BCStalk
No! You can't. It's impossible. It's dangerous. It's...well all the other idiotic reasons people come up with to not be held accountable.
Jinx
quote:
quote:
You have plenty of time to slow to 50 off the highway.

not all ramps are created equal, some are much shorter than others. If someone is tailing you closely and you hit the brakes from 75 down to 50, that's equals a wreck.

CSPD is just looking for a speed trap and they found it. Too bad they can't spend the extra time in south CS patrolling neighborhoods at night, while countless rims get stolen. There isn't money to be made there though. and for the record, I live in Bryan.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Men-Arrested-For-Attempted-Theft-Of-Tires-And-Rims-In-College-Station-331785241.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KBTX_Media

This still won't be good enough to please you, but I thought you'd like to know.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.