Texas Reds

12,452 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Stucco
DBA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Competing events in the spring make it impossible for us to consider moving the festival date. The last weekend in September is here to stay...at least for the next 10 years. When the time comes, someone besides me will be making the decision to keep the date or move it.

We will continue to fine tune the things we can to make the weekend a great experience for all. We appreciate all the comments. We really do take them into consideration when making decisions for next year and beyond.
Tim Weaver
Some folks have complained about too many stages/bands. I would tend to agree (which is crazy because that's where I make my living). How about having some covered vignettes with possibly a jazz band, or folk music playing quietly, scattered around the event grounds? The main stage would stay obviously and have a big headliner and one opener.

Not having "loud" music all day long might create the space for all to enjoy the event. The crowd that wants to taste wine and talk can do that in a Jazz courtyard. The Aggie that wants to two-step and drink beer can do that at night in front of the main stage.
ShawnTxAg
AG
It seems like this year there was less attention paid to the actual cook off, teams and announcing the results of the cook off. Heck i can't even find the results anywhere. There is a lot of time, effort and money put into this thing by the teams, especially considering the actual cooking of the steak takes all of 6-8 mins. I don't think actually acknowledging the teams and or winner is several ways is asking too much.
Ornlu
AG
Serious question: There was a cook off?

I didn't notice, and I pay attention. I thought they had axed that portion a few years ago.
AggieBarstool
quote:
More importantly, I would love to see the event be Friday/Saturday. I understand that the businesses might be afraid of losing some customers due to street closures, but the vast majority of the stores didn't even bother opening their doors on Sunday during the festival.

It seems odd that a business would be afraid of a possible loss of customers not being able to make it to their shop on a Thursday, but they weren't willing to stay open on Sunday for guaranteed customers with people in town for Reds.

I'm glad to know I wasn't going crazy. It seemed like there was a lot fewer stores to browse through.
gopitt
I think La Bodega in downtown Bryan would be a home run.
DBA
Shawn - the winning teams were announced Saturday evening and all received recognition and cash prizes in front of the other teams. They will also be receiving plaques. We are still working through all the post-festival duties, which includes web updates.
Costa and Andreas
gopitt,

We're actually working on something for la bodega in a pretty major location with dedicated parking. We're reserving a way different idea for DTB in the future, but I don't know if that will ever materialize.
Jinx
Went Saturday evening and had a good time walking around. Not unbearably hot and people seemed to be having a good time. Lots of idle chat among strangers and an all around enjoyable feel. We just went to check it out, paid nothing except for some water at a vendor. We look forward to next year and hope to try out some food and drink then.
TellMeMore
If La Bodega wants to be in downtown, then come on. Future is bright. Be a part of it, or not. Bryan has vide that is different than CS.
Costa and Andreas
No plans for La Bodega in DTB. However, as stated before, we have a different concept in mind for DTB, but the stars will have to align for it to materialize. The new La Bodega will be much bigger in a highly visible location, with plenty of parking.
CharlieMac
I LOVED the event!! Great job DBA!!

The only suggestion I have is to make sure there are cash bars close to the ticket booths that have beer and wine stocked. We used our (2) $25 tickers packs pretty quickly..oops.. and the line to get more, right between the craft beer and wine tents was ridiculous between 2-5 on Saturday.

There were no cash bars close enough to just get another beer so we ended up going to Murphys.
texasaggie04
AG
quote:
I LOVED the event!! Great job DBA!!

The only suggestion I have is to make sure there are cash bars close to the ticket booths that have beer and wine stocked. We used our (2) $25 tickers packs pretty quickly..oops.. and the line to get more, right between the craft beer and wine tents was ridiculous between 2-5 on Saturday.

There were no cash bars close enough to just get another beer so we ended up going to Murphys.

Hadn't thought of it this way, but an express line for ticket purchases would be a good idea. The booth for the package and something different for just tickets.
CharlieMac
Thank you! Again. . GREAT event!!
Finding X
My girls had the Lemonade (Almonade) Stand on the North end and did great! They love setting up for sunny 90's days!

BTW - They say "Thank you" to everyone that visited them!

I would like to see the Food vendors have a more central location with craft and art vendors radiating out from there. Then put the cookers in the far outside booths. That way when they leave gaping holes Sat night - The vendors that stay aren't left out by themselves.
Stucco
My suggestion on pricing:
Instead of requiring festival glassware for samples, require a 21+ wristband.
Have small sample plastic cups at the booths for non-glassware folks.
Charge $10 for wristband & 5 tickets, or $15 for a wristband &10 tickets
Offer optional glassware for ~$7 each.
At these prices I probably wouldn't complicate it with bundles.

Pros:
Every person that wants to sample needs a wristband - You get more "entry" purchases (more festival take-away) because two people can't share a single glass.
The booths already have to check for the wristband, so no extra work for them.
People get to try both beer and wine without forking over $50, and having to buy 20 tickets.
There is one booth necessary to visit before sampling - The wristband + ticket booth.

Cons:
Eco people won't like plastic cups - but biodegradable ones are fairly inexpensive and would probably offset complaints
Wine snobs won't like plastic cups - but they can buy glasses

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.