Convention and Visitors Bureau Marketing Campaign

7,774 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jmg3
Fonzie Scheme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Seems for a fraction of the cost, they could've solicited community suggestions. The winner get $5K.
I dunno. I recall Consolidated had a student contest for their Tiger logo. The winning entry was from a kid who basically stole it from the Missouri Tigers.

Pretty sure Consol "borrowed" the Mizzou logo and was slapped on the wrist once Melvin Watkins' son showed up in Columbia with that logo. The current logo, IIRC, is the product of a local search. And, IMHO, is light years better than the Mizzou logo.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Seems for a fraction of the cost, they could've solicited community suggestions. The winner get $5K.
I dunno. I recall Consolidated had a student contest for their Tiger logo. The winning entry was from a kid who basically stole it from the Missouri Tigers.

Pretty sure Consol "borrowed" the Mizzou logo and was slapped on the wrist once Melvin Watkins' son showed up in Columbia with that logo. The current logo, IIRC, is the product of a local search. And, IMHO, is light years better than the Mizzou logo.
They had to come up with a new logo after a cease & desist from Missouri.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/6284162.html
Frio Cielo
I will bet we won't have any cease and desist requests when we begin to use "Super. Natural. Goodness."
rc_cat
Well - googling "super natural goodness" gives me a lot of Pintrest, fanfic and religion.

Also a Facebook page for Tahitian Noni juice owned by "Supernatural Goodness of Morinda".

Yup - CS fits right in there.
TellMeMore
Stupid waste of money. Don't go to Mayes School, the community knows best. How arrogant, don't the people at CVB live here? Go with family oriented. This is just not that difficult. A community wide contest to find a slogan. Somehow the CVB Board and leadership think they are so much smarter and know so much better. Note to citites: do everything you can to spend those HOT dollars rather than hand them over to a board who does not pay attention and a staff who is clueless.Hello.......this is alot of money!
duffelpud
AG
Here are the folks who can answer your questions at the B/CS C&VB:

Office Phone Number: 979-260-9898 (toll free: 800-777-8292)

Shannon Overby, CMP
President/CEO
shannon@bcscvb.org

Kindra Fry
Vice President of Sales & Marketing
kindra@bcscvb.org

Cynthia Brown
Director of Finance
cynthia@bcscvb.org

Jordan Meserole
Director of Communications
jordan@bcscvb.org

Dominique Powell
Destination Sports Sales Executive
dominique@bcscvb.org

John Friebele
Destination Sports Sales Executive
john@bcscvb.org

Sophie Curtis
Destination Sales & Events Executive
sophie@bcscvb.org

Arabia Harris
Destination Sales & Events Executive
arabia@bcscvb.org

Sydney Murrell
Destination Servicing Executive
sydney@bcscvb.org

Joseph Merlo
Sales Assistant & Visitor Center Coordinator
joseph@bcscvb.org

If you'd like to drop a line to Cubic Creative, they can be contacted at info@cubiccreative.com
Billy Kulkin is the CEO.

redd38
AG
Apparently the CVB is getting another $406,000 for marketing and they're going to come up with a new slogan.

http://wtaw.com/2015/09/25/cs-council-approves-fy-16-budget-with-one-no-vote/
threecatcorner
so will they be getting a refund on the last slogan?
redd38
AG
Not only are we not getting a refund, we're keeping that company on board for future work.
GoneGirl
AG
May parents moved to Bryan in 1981.... I went to school there from 6th grade through HS.
I went to A&M for more years than I care to admit.
I worked for the City of College Station for almost 8 years, lived in BCS for 26 years.
I return often to visit family.
My husband and I plan on retiring here.

I love BCS and consider it my home.

This slogan calls up no imagery for me. It brings nothing to mind. I can't really tie it to anything that means home to me.

It's lack of appeal is even worse than that ridiculous "Smack (with lipstick marks) in the Heart of Texas" from the 90s.

And it makes Baby Reveille weep.

techno-ag
AG
They heard the complaints, dropped the logo and slogan. Hopefully a new local firm will come up with something better.
redd38
AG
Well for 10x the price it better be MUCH better
BurnetAg
Those are words to describe peanut butter not a city. It's quite obvious that they want to just flush ideas down the toilet and decided to use whatever was still floating. Embrace this town for the deep traditions and college spirit.
aggie59
AG
techno-ag, I agree with 3rdcoastAg and refer to the article in the Eagle reporting on a Convention and visitors bureau meeting where one of the board members said "WE HAVE TO GET AWAY FROM THE IMAGE THAT COLLEGE STATION IS TEXAS A+M" I called attention to the article on this board about 2 yrs later and someone on this board was aware of the article and posted the reference to it . I am retired so I spend time on these boards, sometimes I feel that employees of College Station monitor these boards on company time and repudiate anything that challenges what the taxing entities do.
AG
I just hope we can throw more money at this to make it better.

After all its not like all those idiots staying in the hotels would have spent that extra cash in their pocket here locally.
BeardedBear
AG
quote:
They heard the complaints, dropped the logo and slogan. Hopefully a new local firm will come up with something better.
Local firm here, we've signed on to collaborate with Cubic and the CVB on the campaign moving forward.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Local firm here, we've signed on to collaborate with Cubic and the CVB on the campaign moving forward.
duffelpud
AG
How about the State Legislature pass a bill authorizing municipalities to levy a special tax on marketing firms so that city elected officials and staff can then spend that money to 'help' those marketing firms attract more out of town customers.

Now replace "marketing firm" with your line of business.

jmg3
AG
Looks like this "firm" didn't do much other than steal British Columbia's Tourism slogan:

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.