Convention and Visitors Bureau Marketing Campaign

7,751 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jmg3
duffelpud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From an article in today's Beagle:

quote:
Tulsa-based Cubic Creative was selected from about 18 companies that responded to the CVB's request for proposals in December for "assistance in a rebranding process to help best properly portray our communities, as well as the many events, attractions and amenities it has to offer."
Overby said a little more than $40,000, which was factored into the CVB's current budget, has been paid to Cubic for their help with creating a unified brand for Bryan-College Station.
After spending time exploring the community as a visitor would and conducting more than 75 interviews with business leaders, elected officials, city staff and residents, Cubic came up with a three word phrase to capture the feeling and culture of the community: "Super. Natural. Goodness."

It makes it sound like we're the hometown of Casper the Ghost.

Here's my three word phrase - gratis: Forty. Thousand. Wasted.
O. M. G.
Rexter
ho lee crap.

could it be any dumber?
redd38
AG
Seriously?
aggiepaintrain
AG
L.O.L.
BQ_90
AG
Is this the same outfit that the Big XII hired to come up with one true champion?
australopithecus robustus
In. Epti. Tude.

Should've spent $20k x 2 for signs at university and texas. One says "historic Northgate " and the other "historic downtown Bryan "

Or one big sign that says "residents of BCS. Stop leaving town on the weekends to shop and shop local"
Expert Analysis
AG
Are they funded with local taxes or hotel taxes?
duffelpud
AG
Hotel taxes - those are the ones where city bureaucrats decided they were better than hotel companies at attracting new customers, so they take money from them to pay for their marketing 'service'.
UmustBKidding
Slogan should be: "Highest hotel taxes allowed by law to finance even more wasteful spending"
I have personally held several three day events attended by hundreds of people each out of town solely because of the its just HOT funds attitude of the councils. Unfortunately it seems to be spreading to the general population. I think this slogan "Lowest hotel/motel taxes in the state" would put more heads in beds than any other strategy.
EVA3
AG
quote:
Super. Natural. Goodness.

Come on. You're making that up.
techno-ag
AG
I don't care about a logo or a catch phrase, but I would like to see effective marketing of our area to the rest of the state.

Every year in the "Travel Texas" newspaper magazine, the ad for BCS is tiny. We should have half a page. Plus, our location in the middle of the state should pull in more people for conferences and events.
FlyRod
halibut sinclair
duffelpud
AG
duffelpud
AG
The Bureau's new costume character for city events

rc_cat
Sound like they borrowed that from a Brita water commercial or an ad for cheerios.

Just flows off the tongue, doesn't it? What does your city have? Goodness! No one will know if that's an answer or a mild expletive!
79MusicMan
OUCH...OUCH and DOUBLE OUCH! WOW!! The inept CV& B had to go to Tulsa to find someone who could market B/CS?? Hmmm...WAH! I truly believe there are talented individuals and/or companies locally who could have come up with something better!! 40 grand for that! "Super. Natural. Goodness"!! sounds like I'm eating cardboard cereal!! Or maybe they are pushing a new suppository!! Get it...."pushing a new suppository"!! And guess what bucko's....they can't "create" a brand! A "brand" is created by return customers, longevity and product consistency! NOT a marketing team! They "tweak" elements of the brand. New logo, new catch phrase, etc.! DOAH!! Wonder if they even know the 5 disciplines of "branding"??? And how they interact. And then not to work those words into the overall campaign?? YOUZ guys get an "F" for marketing! Not even sure why they thought they need a "3 word phrase"?? I would surely hope there would be talent enough working for C&VB to do this!. That's their job to promote. Not hire someone to be their "creative"! If they ain't creative they have no biz doing that job!! And whomever hired those individuals should also be re-evaluated!! What a fishmeckle!! 40 grand down the drain! You want 3 words........Bryan-College Station........"A Lone Star Family Oasis"(okay....5 words)! Or B-CS "A Family Oasis". An "Oasis for Families" "Families Flourish Here" or "Families Grow Here" "The Brazos Valley, families grow here too". (Get the meaning!) But Super. Natual. Goodness.?? And the 3 little periods after each word....ROFLMAO!!! Make note to self - "Cubic Creative"...uh....they ain't! A successful communities most alluring points is "strong family values". With that everything else WILL follow! The CVB should have held a community wide contest! Once again they can't see the forest for the trees. I bet a "C note" a high school marketing student could come up with something better than that....or the marketing dept at TAMU! Can't wait for the unveiling of this highly informative creative life changing mind altering campaign!
duffelpud
AG
What's even funnier is the punchline: they're asking for an increase in their budget at the Convention and Visitors Bureau from something like 1.6 million up to almost 2 million dollars.

quote:
The CVB has requested $1.7 million from College Station and about $481,000 from Bryan. Last year, it received about $1.3 million from College Station and $238,000 from Bryan.
kraut
AG
Whiskey.Tango.Foxtrot.
Frio Cielo
quote:
In. Epti. Tude.

Should've spent $20k x 2 for signs at university and texas. One says "historic Northgate " and the other "historic downtown Bryan "

Or one big sign that says "residents of BCS. Stop leaving town on the weekends to shop and shop local"
You should add one more sign, "Local businesses, if you are going to promote buying local, you should put duct tape over the Conroe/The Woodlands/Austin auto dealer decal and license plate holder

on the back of your vehicles."

....and I am a local business.

The "Super. Natural. Goodness". is not only horrific, but makes no sense.

You could get a group of fourth graders, give them a free Whatabuger Junior and fries and they would come up with better phrases than that.

mgreen
If you have to explain a slogan it is a Bad slogan.
EBrazosAg
AG
It' horrible - enough said.
If they really want to fill hotels, build a indoor sports complex like Round Rock has - they have it filled with out of town volleyball and basketball tournaments every weekend. Kids from the big cities for 5 states distance and their parents fill the place. It would be additive to the soccer and other outdoor fields we have here in town.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
Money could've gone to coaxing more restaurants in.
FlyRod
How much influence do they have in trying to do that?
barefoot
OMG this is the MOST RIDICULOUS "slogan" I have heard. It's bad even if it belonged in Austin, which we clearly ain't! and the cities are paying them HOW much to pay someone to come up with this? what else do they want in this glamorous package? please tell me we're paying for a Kardashian to promote something, because as useless as they are, they are able to sell themselves and hey,just maybe, they could sell our little ol town(s) to draw more visitors.
build more attractions, then you wont have to market (or try) nearly as hard as coming up with this crap.
doubledog
How about "Wish it, Want it, ah screw it" (my apologies to Seth MacFarlane).

This one's for free.
The Brazos Kid
Nm

Not worth it.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Seems for a fraction of the cost, they could've solicited community suggestions. The winner gets $5K.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Seems for a fraction of the cost, they could've solicited community suggestions. The winner get $5K.
I dunno. I recall Consolidated had a student contest for their Tiger logo. The winning entry was from a kid who basically stole it from the Missouri Tigers.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
"Super. Natural. Goodness"!! sounds like I'm eating cardboard cereal!! Or maybe they are pushing a new suppository!! Get it...."pushing a new suppository"!!
Yes, this slogan makes me think the end result will be a monster turd.
Nom de Plume
AG
Another successful dog pile from the fine folks at the Aggieland Forum!
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Another successful dog pile from the fine folks at the Aggieland Forum!
Just curious here. Do you think it was a good usage of 40K to pay for a three-word slogan that is better describes a granola bar than two cities?

Let's face it. College Station IS Texas A&M. Bryan is the older, slightly less Texas A&M-ish town of B/CS.

I love B/CS and spent nine years of my life there, but it is college town/region which is so pathetically desperate to to shed its college-related association.
duffelpud
AG
If it's any consolation, Muskogee only got TWO words: Real. Okie.

Of course, it sounds a little bit like... Real. Hokie.

Paging Corky St. Clair...

techno-ag
AG
quote:
I love B/CS and spent nine years of my life there, but it is college town/region which is so pathetically desperate to to shed its college-related association.
Why do you say that? I don't get that vibe at all. I see they're trying to get MORE events here, beyond the football games.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.