Empty (or near empty) Brazos Transit buses

1,796 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by halibut sinclair
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today about 3:45 I'm heading west on University Dr, right at Northgate. While stopped at one of the many lights, I notice a Brazos Transit bus, also westbound, now painted with a maroon stripe in lieu of the normal green strip. It's a purty, big new bus...
It exits onto Wellborn, going north.

What's not different, is there was not a single passenger/rider..nada, zip, no one but the lonely driver.

What a gigantic, colossal sinkhole for federal and state tax dollars....

(Yes, I'm aware, on occasion, sometimes...the buses on Texas Ave actually have a few riders..didja know their local budget exceeds $12,000,000.00?)

From Sep 2014---""We would like to see an increase in $18 million in operations, but that would have to come from general revenue, and I just don't think that's in the cards because general revenue in Austin is a very precious commodity -- it's like diamonds," said President/CEO of the Brazos Transit District John McBeth."
We need more tax $$$...Mcbeth
BCStalk
I believe this horse has already been beaten time and time again. Except no change regardless of what will be discussed about it. They already have in their mind that it is for the better of the community. Idiots if you ask me.
Frio Cielo
I followed one from Madisonville the other day that had no riders.

If you calculated all the costs, you could probably give everyone that rides the buses a coupon of some sort to ride a Uber vehicle and save money.
AggiePirate
AG
We might as well bring back the green and brown trollys held together with elmers glue since the management is so intent on wasting that 12 mil. A good thread TY OP.
GSS
quote:
I followed one from Madisonville the other day that had no riders.

If you calculated all the costs, you could probably give everyone that rides the buses a coupon of some sort to ride a Uber vehicle and save money.

You could probably give each rider their own car
Frio Cielo
I don't know what Uber costs, but if we assume that the average charge is $20, you could take 600,000 persons around town annually...that is 1,643 trips a day, 365 days a year... equal to 821 round trip rides daily.

I will bet right now that nowhere near that many ride the buses daily. It's probably in the few hundreds.

What does a Uber ride of four or five miles cost?
techno-ag
AG
That's a great idea about Uber certificates! At least people would actually use them instead of empty busses driving around.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
KidDoc
AG
quote:
That's a great idea about Uber certificates! At least people would actually use them instead of empty busses driving around.
I would vote for this.. but I live in CS so doesn't matter I guess.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
Nm
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.