Kluay Kluay Thai Restaurant

14,827 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
CN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks to the coming and going business thread, I found out about the new Thai restaurant Kluay Kluay in the old Dragon One location by Walmart/Lowes in Bryan and my family and I tried it tonight.

I'm no Thai food expert but there are many Thai dishes that I'm very familiar with. So I ordered several of them including papaya salad, beef larb, and fish cake. They were all very good and the beef larb was spot on. I was especially surprised by the papaya salad because it was prepared with salted crab (I don't know if it's normally prepared that way but when I ordered it, I asked for an authentic Thai version). Many Thai restaurants don't carry papaya salad and when they do, they often make an Americanized version with just lime juice.

We ordered the pad see ewe noodles for my daughter. We normally have to keep after her to eat her food but she kept eating and eating it on her own telling us how delicious it was. We asked for sticky rice and they said they just opened and don't carry it yet but will in the future. Again, that's something a lot of Thai restaurants don't carry either so that's another plus.

We're so thrilled that there's finally a good Thai restaurant in town. We've tried Lanna Thai a couple of times and was disappointed every time... it's just not good even though it seems to be run by real Thai people. I loved Thai Taste and Nipa Hot when they were around but frankly, I don't think they were authentic Thai restaurants (at least I'd never seen most of their dishes at other Thai restaurants before). Klauy Kluay is the real deal and is the best Thai restaurant in town and is even better than many places I've tried in Houston.
AgSportsFan
AG
Thanks for write up. Will check it out.
FlyRod
I found their menu very similar to Lanna Thai but the food is better.

They under-spice like Lanna Thai IMO. Asked for Thai hot level of spice and it was pretty tame...
Goose83
AG
I tried looking up this place on line, but my search kept getting kicked back by Yahoo for containing offensive terms. Needless to say, I was confused by just what could be considered offensive about Kluay Kluay Thai. However, I soon came to the realization, that in all its nanny state glory, Yahoo was just merely protecting my delicate inner psyche by preventing me from looking up articles about the Ku Klux Klan.
91_Aggie
AG
Do they have pad khee mao ? Might be spelled wrong but this was my favorite dish at Thai taste.
Fleen
I'll let you know in about 20 minutes 91_Aggie
Fleen
quote:
Do they have pad khee mao ? Might be spelled wrong but this was my favorite dish at Thai taste.

They do, it was excellent...
CN
quote:
I found their menu very similar to Lanna Thai but the food is better.

They under-spice like Lanna Thai IMO. Asked for Thai hot level of spice and it was pretty tame...

You're a braver person than I. I specifically asked for American person medium, not Thai person medium and American medium was what I got and I was definitely breaking a sweat. I remember eating at Thai Taste and sweating due to the heat of the food and the lack of cooling in the restaurant.

quote:
I tried looking up this place on line, but my search kept getting kicked back by Yahoo for containing offensive terms.

Their takeout menu shows their website to be www.kluaykluaythai.com but it doesn't work when I've tried it. Your best bet is to look up their yelp reviews as there are some pictures of their takeout menu there.
labmansid
Glad to hear about this place, we will have to try it out.

BTW, did someone beat Greg D there??
MiMi
S
quote:
Edited. Saw HRH's review at the top. Glad to see he missed the FTR.
Fleen
quote:
quote:
Nope

Actually, two people did!
RGRAg1/75
AG
Any feedback on the Tom Kha soup? I crave good Tom Kha.

Also - need some more feedback on spiciness. I like my Thai pretty hot. Had some week before last in Colorado Springs that was absolutely amazing. I ordered theirs double Thai hot. Was just right.

After hearing the Thai hot here was kind of mild, I will likely be looking for some more heat!
mazag08
AG
Anyone tried any of the duck dishes? Lanka Thai was a let down on those.
patrick.redmill
Actually, my wife got the first review! She was excited to beat Greg to the punch!

Regarding the spice of the food: I find, for better or worse, lots of Thai restaurants won't really give a non-Thai person "Thai hot" until they recognize your repeat business. A small place like Kluay Kluay simply couldn't bear the bad word of mouth coming from folks not knowing what they are ordering. We are regulars at Lanna Thai, and despite their shortcomings, they WILL give you a properly spiced dish if they know that you know what you're doing.
biobioprof

quote:
We're so thrilled that there's finally a good Thai restaurant in town. We've tried Lanna Thai a couple of times and was disappointed every time... it's just not good even though it seems to be run by real Thai people. I loved Thai Taste and Nipa Hot when they were around but frankly, I don't think they were authentic Thai restaurants (at least I'd never seen most of their dishes at other Thai restaurants before). Klauy Kluay is the real deal and is the best Thai restaurant in town and is even better than many places I've tried in Houston.

Thanks for the heads up! Thai Taste and Nipa Hot were a Thai-Filipino mix, according to the Thai grad student in our department back when they were around.
redball
The Mrs & made our first trip last night and it was wonderful. I had the massaman curry and she tried the pad thai. Both were excellent and accompanied by prompt, attentive service. We'll add them to our rotation.
willis01
Food was delicious. We are already looking to go back or do take-out.

We had satay, panang curry, and garlic beef and cleaned our plates.

I got a chuckle at the country music being played, but the food and service speaks for itself.

Yuccadoo
We've been driving to Bastrop to go to Mai Thais for our fix so looking forward to trying this place out soon.
thefarcus
I love lanna Thai, buy now I'm going to try this one! Prices were ok?
CN
quote:
I love lanna Thai, buy now I'm going to try this one! Prices were ok?

I didn't look at my receipt the first night we went as we ordered about 5 different dishes and dessert. The second time we ate we had lunch specials and they were about $8. I remember the papaya salad being $8.

I looked at Lanna Thai's online menu and KK's menu on Yelp and they were plus or minus a dollar of each other.

KK really need to redo their menus though... a little description of what's in each dish would be nice. Some of the Thai dishes I've had in the past I don't know by name and entree names like "Peanut Sauce" mean nothing to me. I'm going to volunteer to redo their menus for them the next time I'm there.
redball
$24 for the Mrs & I (not including a generous tip). That's two dishes, one Coke, & one glass of water. Be aware, ordering a Coke gets you an unopened can of Coke accompanied by a tall glass of ice. $1.50 seems a bit steep for canned soda, but the food was good enough that we didn't mind.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Just had lunch there. Was very pleased with the service and food. I'll gladly be returning. It's not going to blow you away, but to have something of this quality in B/CS makes me happy.

I'll second the menu. My wife had to ask a for recommendations since we didn't know what a handful of the dishes were.

The dumplings they garnish their entrees with were great!
DTP02
AG
I am excited to try this place. I've had an unmet Thai craving for what seems like eons.
studioone
hot thai! yeah!

i got some carolina reapers if anyone wants to try some.. lol...
Burger
AG
Ate there for lunch today. Food was solid (garlic beef), came out quick, and my drink never got below half full. Will be back for lunch/dinner.
labmansid
We need to help keep this place open! The wife and I went there for dinner, and it was great. As previously mentioned, the menu is pretty spartan as far as descriptions, but not too bad, especially if you are already fairly familiar with that type of food. One need only ask the server if there is a question. Very friendly people working there.

We started with the Spring Rolls, which were good. She had the Pineapple fried rice with pork, and I got the Pad Kee Mao noodles with chicken. The flavors were excellent. I ordered my noodles with a spiciness of 2 on a scale of 1-4. It was plenty spicy without being overwhelmed by heat. There were generous portions, and we both brought some leftovers home which will do nicely for lunch.

In short, we will be putting Kluay Kluay on our rotation of places to eat.
Tailgate88
AG
I'm ready for school to start back up so the wife and I can try this place and Swamp Tails for lunch!
BlueMiles
AG
Why not go now, during the calm before the storm?
FlyRod
Glad to see support for the place. Restaurants seem to have a hard time in that strip.
91_Aggie
AG
Wife and I ate here today and it was great.

All I really cared about is the Pad kee Mao. And while it wasn't exactly like Thai Taste, it was close enough and delicious.

I got the medium spice and I think it was just right (I would get 3star at Thai taste and this was about comparable)

Wife got the chicken ginger and she loved it

It was the lunch special so we got a salad and a spicy soup. The soup was delicious. Had cilantro which I really liked. The salad was iceberg lettuce and some thousand island dressing on it. Not a great salad but included with the meal. Meal came with a small potsticker as well

I got a side of rice as well. We both drink water so the total came to $20 and I left a $5 tip

Well worth it. If you liked Thai taste you will like this.

We knew our Thai food, but as others pointed out they should provide.some descriptions on the menu for those not so familiar.

91_Aggie
AG
Dp
Tariny
We gave Kluay Kluay a try Saturday afternoon and all 4 of us were quite pleased. My husband, my daughter, and my oldest son all enjoy spicy food, I prefer mine not spicy at all.

My husband and daughter both had curry, both really liked it, said it had good heat. My son had the lava chicken and really liked it, but said it wasn't super spicy (I tried it as well and while it had a little kick to it, it was not too bad). I had the combination fried rice, and I have to say, it was some of the best fried rice I've ever had - I highly recommend it if you are like me and prefer non-spicy.

My husband and I are regulars at Lanna Thai, but other than that, I haven't been to very many Thai restaurants, so I can't really speak of how authentic they are. However, the lady who waited on us was very nice, the food was tasty (loved the Thai iced tea) and the atmosphere was nice. Overall I would say the food was a step up from Lanna Thai.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Why not go now, during the calm before the storm?
Because our kids are home for the summer. Once (Jr. High and High) school start back up, we will once again resume meeting for lunch during the week. (I work from home.)

Now I really want some Thai food.
91_Aggie
AG
You can't leave Jr high and high school kids alone for an hour to have lunch with your wife (unless there some medical issue with one of them)??
BlueMiles
AG
Oh! I was thinking of all the A&M students, but I see.

Less than a month until the influx begins! And football season!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.