Phototgrapher Rec.

4,852 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
retzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Daughter is getting married June '16 in B/CS. I'm needing a photographer w/o breaking the bank. Any rec's would be GREATLY appreciated! TIA
Kbeauty63
AG
Larry Field Photography

He really seems to capture the personality of everyone he photographs.
aggieswmr04
We used Amy McCormick with Picture Perfect Images

http://www.pictureperfectimages.net/

We got a reasonably priced package that included the digital images and photo book.
SchnauzerMom
Fig-Mint Photography.
GoodOleBryanBoy
I highly recommend Painted Peacock Photography Ashley Patranella is a wonderful photographer with a great imagination. She's an Aggie with local ties. Based out of Houston but does tons of work in BCS.
originaltexan
I looked at some pricing on wedding photographers....."starting at $3000..." WHOA!!

Who has that kind of money. I'd find a free lance photographer. I bet he would would for $250 for the entire day.

Also, please do NOT let anyone stand on the train tracks for photo shoots. That is not only illegal but border line insane.

If you ever watched Fried Green Tomatoes, you'll remember what I am talking about.
gettingitdone
http://www.timjharrisphoto.com/ out of Navasota. They did my son's wedding in February and did an amazing job. They are a husband and wife team and great to work with.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

Also, please do NOT let anyone stand on the train tracks for photo shoots. That is not only illegal but border line insane.

If you ever watched Fried Green Tomatoes, you'll remember what I am talking about.

O.G.
quote:
I looked at some pricing on wedding photographers....."starting at $3000..." WHOA!!

Who has that kind of money. I'd find a free lance photographer. I bet he would would for $250 for the entire day.

There is more to shooting a wedding than just being some guy with a camera. The wedding photog shows up hours before anyone else, before the band, before the DJ, before the caterer etc. This is because you have to photo the bride getting ready, the dress, the shoes, the mom, bridesmaids and the thousand other pics that Brides typically want. There may also be multiple locations going on at the same time so those logistics have to be dealt with.

Then, some time later in the day the Groom shows up and you have to do the same thing with him and his 6 buddies that are sometimes already drunk. Once guests start arriving the photogs are usually shooting more photos of them, plus the brides father/mother etc etc. Pinterest has changed the "Normal" wedding photo shoots into a whole other arena.

Then there is the actual wedding, in which there can literally be thousands of pictures taken, depending on the size of the wedding, how many photographers the bride wanted etc. Most I have ever seen at a wedding was 5 photographers, some brides want to feel like the paparazzi is chasing them.

Afterwards, you have the reception and multiple more hours of drunk relatives wanting more and more pics with grandma and aunt Helen. As a rule of thumb, the later the parties go the worse the pics get because everyone has been on the sauce for a good while now.

Once you've cut the cake, done the dance with the bride and groom, dance with dad, dance with mom and the dozens of other pics that are mandatory, you have to shoot them leaving.....once all that is done who ever owns the studio will typically have at least 6 more hours of editing to do, and most of them will have the pics to the bride via email or posted on a secure site within 24-48 hours. Total time spend on one wedding could easily be well north of 24-36 hours counting drive time/engagement photographs, phone calls before the wedding etc.

So, you are easily looking at a 6 hour wedding being an 18 hour day for the photographer. He is still working long after the DJ, caterer, preacher and everyone else have gone home.

Tip(s) for Brides:
If you sign a contract for a 6, or 8 or whatever hour wedding event, do not throw a fit when the photographer tells you that you are near the end of the allotted time. As I said above, the later the pics are taken the worse they get and years later, no one will remember what your cake looked like but your wedding pics last forever.

Do NOT treat the photographer like the "help". He easily has Tens of Thousands of dollars worth of equipment at your wedding and when he finally gets everyone set up for a shot and you step in with a smart phone, the moment can be lost. (this is typically a Bride's Mom thing) Also, when the evening meal is served make sure your photographer gets to eat, as I said above you're talking about at least an 18 hour day here.

Have a timeline/plan. The photographer is not the wedding planner. I can not tell you how many times I've been asked, "What do we do next?".....and I'm only the 2nd shooter, sometimes 3rd or 4th shooter. I've literally had to tell people, from memory, what traditionally happens at weddings and when.

So, hire a free lance guy if you want, odds are though that you will get what you pay for. My personal recommendation: http://www.delightstudio.com/
Ask for Chris, and tell him his neighbor sent you. Tell him what your budget is and he will work
with you on it.

Just remember, "some guy with a camera" is not the same thing as professional photographer. $250 is less than I get paid as a second shooter, for a big wedding. You would definitely get what you paid for there.
originaltexan
originaltexan
So there is Buddy gettin' stuck in the track.

Anyway, I know the value of a good photographer. I would just do the math.

Fee/# of hours worked

That's all I am saying.
DBSwooper
quote:

Any photography with the skill to properly shoot a wedding won't shoot one for $250 because they understand how hard it is. They also understand what sort of skill, gear and shots are needed to produce a professional product for the couple.

A $250 wedding photographer is like paying your neighbor's kid $5 to rebuild the motor on your car. Sure he might have a set of wrenches, he might even know how to turn them, but it is more complicated than you realize.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

Fee/# of hours worked

That's all I am saying.
How do you know how many hours they are working?

Answering your emails/phone calls = working
Helping you schedule the day = working
Driving to the wedding/shoots = working
Ingesting, backing up, editing, delivering = working
Doing marketing to actually acquire clients = working

There is a lot more to it than just the hours on the wedding day. Actually shooting is a very small amount of the work.

My studio is in downtown Houston, but I don't charge travel for weddings anywhere in Texas, except Lubbock. You gotta pay me a lot to shoot in Lubbock.

http://www.thomasandpenelope.com or http://www.facebook.com/thomasandpenelope
BCStalk
We used U Name It And were very pleased. Especially with her second photographer. He was laughing and joking with us while we were getting ready. Also she was our only vendor to show up on time.
studioone
I'm still around.

Darrin hill
Master photographer, photographic craftsmen, cr-cpp, ppa
Www.avalonweddingsbcs.com

Www.studioonephoto.com.

I charge $1000 to shoot at Avalon, and $1500 off site in the county.. I would also charge More if there was an album, had employees, etc... Which is usually why people charged more. I used to charge $3000 to 5000 per wedding, got it every weekend,,, but the bride would get a hand made, custom designed album, and a 24x30 bridal portrait. And proofs.. Remember those? And lots of other things....

Since all they want now is the disk, it's easy to do charge less.
techno-ag
AG
+1 for Darrin Hill.
Broncos
Charanza Studios
F8 Industries
James @ Specialties
The Brazos Kid
+1 for Painted Peacock!

Cool little promo video I shot for her...
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:

you get what you pay for, good luck with your $250 craigslist special.
People spend way more on food, entertainment, etc. Photos are the only thing that you will still have 50 years from now.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:

Fee/# of hours worked

That's all I am saying.

There is a lot more to it than just the hours on the wedding day. Actually shooting is a very small amount of the work.

My studio is in downtown Houston, but I don't charge travel for weddings anywhere in Texas, except Lubbock. You gotta pay me a lot to shoot in Lubbock.

don't forget demand. There's only 52 Saturdays a year. The really great photographers are in high demand, especially during wedding season.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fee/# of hours worked

That's all I am saying.

don't forget demand. There's only 52 Saturdays a year. The really great photographers are in high demand, especially during wedding season.
52 Saturdays, but not all are created equal. If you want to book me for a February Saturday, drag your feet all you want. If you want April, October or June, you better get in gear. Those are the most popular dates in Texas.

I shot 16 weddings between April 11th and June 20th this year.
bionat80
Jen Brazeal!
2007aggie
AG
We used Tim Harris back in 2009 and were very pleased.
W
AG
hopefully the marriage lasts if you're going to spend $3,000
ZondoAggie
AG
I highly recommend Fidelis Studio. They did our wedding as well as several family portraits over the last three years. Fidelis Studio
Motot
AG
Is there anyone who doesn't know at least two people who are wedding photographers of some sort?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Is there anyone who doesn't know at least two people who are wedding photographers of some sort?
It is hard to be in your 30s and not know a bunch of stay at home moms.
originaltexan
I keep checking back to see if someone lost a leg or a foot while doing a photo shoot.
DBSwooper
quote:
I keep checking back to see if someone lost a leg or a foot while doing a photo shoot.
I split my slacks from rear pocket to my knee shooting a wedding a few years ago, does that count?

And that's why besides backup camera bodies, lights and lenses I now bring an extra set of clothes to. Wedding just in case!
Tim Weaver
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that there is only ONE chance to get the kiss, the first look, the first dance, the father giving away the bride, etc, etc....

You guys go nuts with your craigslist photographers. I get a kick out of the "he/she ruined my wedding" stories And believe me, there are a lot of stories out there! People that shop on price alone are paying the ultimate price by not getting good quality images of their special day.

Also, all you folks who "just want the images on a disc"? PUH-LEASE! What are you gonna show your grandchildren? A shiny plastic disc? Already the Disc drive in computers is going away. What do you plan to do with all those images you paid for? Do you REALLY think you're going to print them out and enjoy them? NOPE! They will sit on that shiny plastic disc until there is no way to view them anymore and by the time you get around to thinking about "saving" them the disc will be bad. Goodbye memories!

Get a real photographer. Buy real prints in real frames. Get real albums. Have something to show your family for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!
BCStalk
quote:
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that there is only ONE chance to get the kiss, the first look, the first dance, the father giving away the bride, etc, etc....

You guys go nuts with your craigslist photographers. I get a kick out of the "he/she ruined my wedding" stories And believe me, there are a lot of stories out there! People that shop on price alone are paying the ultimate price by not getting good quality images of their special day.

Also, all you folks who "just want the images on a disc"? PUH-LEASE! What are you gonna show your grandchildren? A shiny plastic disc? Already the Disc drive in computers is going away. What do you plan to do with all those images you paid for? Do you REALLY think you're going to print them out and enjoy them? NOPE! They will sit on that shiny plastic disc until there is no way to view them anymore and by the time you get around to thinking about "saving" them the disc will be bad. Goodbye memories!

Get a real photographer. Buy real prints in real frames. Get real albums. Have something to show your family for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

This. Don't cheap out on the most important day of your life. Pictures are with you forever, so you need to make sure they are perfect. It really is worth the money.
AustinCountyAg
Kathlyn Dragna out of brenham

http://www.dragnaphoto.com

Eot
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.