Heads up South CS- rim thieves are at it again.

6,909 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Prune Tracy
KL08AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A good friend of mine woke up around 4am this morning to get a drink, when she noticed a car parked in front of her house. She flipped on the light and opened the door to see them working on one of the rims of her husband's chevy truck. She ran back in to grab her husband, but by the time they got back out the Silver dodge van was down the street picking up crew #2 who was working on a tahoe. CSPD came out, but they were already long gone.

Just be aware!! This was off Renee lane, right across from the CS high school.
AboveAndBeyond
They never stopped. Its been on going for 6+ years.

No plate or anything I assume?
originaltexan
Scary, but that plate info is really needed.

I speculate that these guys are in training for more intense crimes or improving their badges within an organization. Way too organized.
Brewmaster
AG
I doubt it. just my opinion of course, but I bet they re-sell the rims in Houston and hit up as many trucks and cars as they can during the week... then rinse and repeat.

shoot the tires out of their van, they won't get far.
AggiePlaya
AG
Does anyone know if the victims recently got new tires? I talked to a past victim that had gotten tires a few weeks prior so just wondering if there is an inside source at local tire shops providing address info to the thieves
AboveAndBeyond
They hit about 20+ a week in BCS. Not really new tires, just 20 inch Chevy rims.
AggiePlaya
AG
quote:
They hit about 20+ a week in BCS. Not really new tires, just 20 inch Chevy rims.

I get that they are after rims...my point is that an inside source could be sending them to the exact addresses based on seeing these vehicles in the shop and recording the specific addresses
KL08AG
AG
No, they didn't get new tires recently.
KL08AG
AG
Unfortunately no plates, but a vehicle and description of a few people.
AggiePlaya
AG
Well a vehicle description is a start. I just installed a camera system but I need to finish getting the receiver configured to record and all that so one day I may get these bastads on video
FlyRod
I think I've finally become one of those people who says, boy I hope those guys get shot by an angry victim. I hate thieves.
thefarcus
Just another reason to install a camera facing my driveway. What year chevy?
AboveAndBeyond
The newer model Tahoe's and Trucks. They have they 5(?) Spoke chrome rims.
montegobay
That explains what I witnessed this morning on my run down Eagle around 5:30. A CSPD Cruiser drove by me two or three times. Then he came by me heading east on Eagle following a van. Behind him were two other CSPD cruisers. Just before they got to Alexandria on Eagle they all turned on their lights and pulled the van over. I turned and went a different way because I wanted to stay out of the way. When I came around the corner about 10 minutes later, they were all gone. I am guessing they suspected the van as maybe part of the rim stealing ring.
Bunk Moreland
BCSMom
They were just in Raintree a week or two ago. They were taking them off a new style Ford Explorer, a truck and suburban.
aggiewrench
I have a video system called arlo.

It automatically uploads to cloud

only triggers on motion

decent quality

cameras are battery operated (wireless signal to a reciever base)

No sound but video is enough

it also has infared, but not PTZ.
AggiePlaya
AG
Time for College Station PD to setup a bait car sting operation t
originaltexan
Not trying to bait you, but what street would be the first to have a suspect behind the wheel?
saltydog13
AG
Do they just go after rims or do they go after truck tailgates too?
AggiePlaya
AG
quote:
Not trying to bait you, but what street would be the first to have a suspect behind the wheel?

Park a nice Tahoe with 20 inch rims anywhere in South College Station and the suspects will show up
halibut sinclair
Fear and Loathing in North Houston, err South CS.
Picadillo
Car alarm turned on and sleeping with my sawed off 20ga nearby ought to yield results.
AggiePlaya
AG
I was able to get some video surveillance retrieved from that morning and caught 3 cars cruising around 3:40 am...two of which appear to be a Dodge Caravan and turned this over to CS PD
KL08AG
AG
That's awesome! Hope it leads them to the scumbags!
AboveAndBeyond
quote:
Car alarm turned on and sleeping with my sawed off 20ga nearby ought to yield results.

Except the alarm never goes off......
Picadillo
If my vehicle is jostled, the alarm will go off.
AboveAndBeyond
They aren't using jacks You think these guys, who have been doing this for 10+ years, are dumb enough to set off an alarm? There have been 252748493736393493 rims stolen without a lead.

From what I remember years ago, they were setting the yard bricks under the truck and letting the air out of the tires. Come back in a few and take everything off.
BCStalk
Invest into wheel plate locks
https://armorwheellocks.com/security-plate
techno-ag
AG
The trick is to only park cheap cars outside your garage at night.
halibut sinclair
AboveAndBeyond
Plates are good Locking lugs are not.
Brewmaster
AG
Depends on the alarm, some have motion sensing. I don't care how good they are, they can't avoid a motion detector. I prefer Smith and Wesson or Browning personally.
AboveAndBeyond
I get that, but 10+ years....and nothing. No leads, no real arrests..... The alarms aren't going off.
techno-ag
AG
They caught one!

http://www.theeagle.com/news/crime/man-charged-with-stealing-tires-and-rims/article_906ab0bc-272b-5381-b290-2cae0cf5e85a.html
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.