Starlight Music...

10,826 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Scooley01
mgreen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Complaining about a free concert. Wow.
redchapterjubilee
quote:
The starlight series, and Wolf Pen events in general are entirely micro-managed by the parks department. That's why it's going down the drain.

Parks and Rec won't hire a real concert promoter to do this job, thinking they can do it themselves.
Except this year they did hire a promoter, or at least worked with one. Jose Arredondo of De Facto Productions and formally the talent buyer at the Grand Stafford worked with CoCS on this year's Starlight. He also worked with Bryan on Texas Reds last year and supposedly also for this year.
Al Bula
AG
I went once when Jerry Jeff Walker played. 2001 or 2002. You could wheel your own coolers in, and everybody was having fun. Now it sounds gay.
beefly95
Anyone remember Jackopierce playing there in the 90s? Good times. I'm old.

And sitting there for two hours for a "free concert" when I can't even bring a bottle of water isn't "free".
Counterpoint
AG
What will they do with the hundreds of coolers that people are definitely going to bring because they don't know the new rule? Store them for you outside the gate or make you walk all the way back to the car?

Rex Racer
AG
Saw Rick Trevino and the Bellamy Brothers at the Starlight Music Series back in about 1996. Good times!

Sorry to see the series go downhill over the years.
CSTX-Socol
All:

Your comments and sentiment were very clearly received. Parks & Recreation has reversed course on the matter, so please help us spread the word: Coolers allowed in traditional fashion -- 48 quarts or smaller, no glass. Bring your own food and drink, bring your blanket or chair (no pets), and enjoy the concert.

-jgs

techno-ag
AG
quote:
All:

Your comments and sentiment were very clearly received. Parks & Recreation has reversed course on the matter, so please help us spread the word: Coolers allowed in traditional fashion -- 48 quarts or smaller, no glass. Bring your own food and drink, bring your blanket or chair (no pets), and enjoy the concert.

-jgs

FightingAggie
AG
quote:
All:

-jgs

mgreen
The power of My BCS strikes again.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
All:

-jgs

GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:
At this point, why is the City even involved? Just have a promoter book the band, rent the ampitheater, and pocket the profits from concessions. Or just have it at a bar with no cover. That's pretty much the same thing...

Or is this whole thing just a clever money-laundering scheme? Use the hotel/motel tax money to pay for the act and then count concessions revenue as income the city can spend without the strings that are attached to the motel tax.
That's what the local entertainment industry has been asking for years. Why is the city involved? Other than owning and renting the venue, I mean. Because that's where it should end, but no! The city wants to control ticket sales and concessions if you are an outside promoter. Just charge a flat fee for the venue rental and you will see real revenue coming off of this place! And stop trying to promote your own shows, because it just isn't working....
Because it's a quality of life thing. Cities across the country do free movies/concerts/theater in the park. It's an opportunity for people to get out and enjoy the amenities offered by their city.

There are LOTS of things cities do that don't make profit. Swimming pools, golf courses, parks, hike and bike trails - these things rarely ever make money. City run after-school programs, softball and basket ball leagues, Christmas in the Park - all of these things are subsidized through the general fund.

But citizen survey after citizen survey says that amenities are what keep people happy in communities. That's what brings people to a community, it's what makes them stay. It all comes down to quality of life. Step away from the bubble that is BCS and look at a place like the Houston area. Sugarland and the Woodlands are held up as ideal places to live - why? Because they have parks and trees, and festivals and special events. Other areas may have similar crime rates, roads and homes - but they aren't perceived as desirable a place to live as the places with good public amenities.

That's why master planned communities do well. They offer the amenities to their residents that many cities have cut out because of lack of funding.
AggiePirate
AG
I would just like to say that the pools make quite a bit of money in the summer time.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
All:

-jgs

Wonderful to hear!

Now something a lot of folks in BCS may not know is how highly respected CS Parks and Rec is among Parks Departments across the state. You guys have a parks system that is the envy of many communities around Texas.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
I would just like to say that the pools make quite a bit of money in the summer time.
Nothing NEAR what it costs to run, insure and pay for employees.

There are a few exceptions - usually the cities with waterparks, but in the majority of cases, they are subsidized.

From the CoCS Budget

Aquatics programs % recovery 46.74%

FY 14 Budget:
Aquatics Revenues $502,900
Aquatics Expenditures $1,124,809

But it's a quality of life issue. No one wants to live in a community without pools, parks, etc....
I certainly don't.
AggiePirate
AG
I'm not going to fight about it.
cslifer
I seriously hope you are trolling, it is incredibly clear the city doesn't make a dime on the pools. If not a troll...wow
mgreen
Personally I think they should have stuck to their guns. You people want nice things but refuse to even buy a beer or soda. There is a reason we went from six free concerts to one. They lose mone on every one of them and paying for some concessions at a FREE concert is not too much to ask.

Next you will want them to hire Christopher's to cater your free concert.
medic1969p
We enjoyed Duck Jam at Wolf Pen several years ago. They had Willie Nelson and cheap trick. They never did it again. The place was packed. I don't understand the poor use of that facility.
dfphotos
Which is why the city shouldn't be putting on "free" concerts
csnole
Just announced: Coolers are now allowed!!! (Per COCS) http://www2.cstx.gov/pc/starlight/2015/index.html
RGRAg1/75
AG
My family will be going. I like the venue, have enjoyed many other concerts there, and it's one of very few places that is family friendly.

I am pleased they are allowing the coolers again. I don't mind buying beer to support the venue and to bring in higher quality talent. That said, having to spend $30-40 on water, lemonade and pop corn to keep my kids happy cuts down on the amount of beer I can buy!

My cooler will be packed for the kids and I will be glad to buy some beer onsite. Cody Johnson is a great show.
OregonAggie
AG
I drove down this weekend to bring my kids to the concert and Cody was great. I've seen him a few times and he's always good.

Great crowd tonight and a fantastic venue.

I was prepared to buy food and beer there, but we checked the website this week and we saw good news that we could bring our own cooler. Honestly, I'm fine paying for beer and food if the concert is free...not sure why people would complain to high heaven about that.
Carnwellag2
quote:
I'm not going to fight about it.
I don't think you can spin it any other way- but would be entertained to see you try
O.G.
One of the better Starlight Shows I've ever seen. Great Crowd too.
Post removed:
by user
PS3D
quote:
FWIW, Brenham still has a series.

Hot Nights, Cool Tunes 2015

We quit going to Starlight a while back as well. COCS can't afford it, but the town of 15,000 can.

I don't know for how long, considering that their largest employer effectively shut down for months to come.
Post removed:
by user
AgFan1999
AG
I didn't see any of the shows being sponsored by Blue Bell.
DBA
The Summer Sunset Concert Series starts this Thursday in Downtown Bryan. FREE concerts each Thursday evening at the Palace Theater. Gates open at 7:15 p.m. Concert begins at 8 p.m.

LINEUP
June 4 - Katye Hamlin Band - Katye is a local musician who recently released her first album. In addition to appearing in local venues, Katye has established herself as a regular at the Austin, San Antonio and Houston rodeos. http://www.katyehamlin.com/ Sponsored by The Bank & Trust
June 11 - KP and the Boom Boom - Combining the hallmarks of funk, soul, disco, R&B, jazz and world music, KP and the Boom Boom is guaranteed to get you out of your seat and moving to their unique brand of music. http://kpbbmusic.com/ Sponsored by Texas Commercial Waste
June 18 - The Nightowls - This 10-piece band from Austin blends vintage and modern soul music to produce a high-energy live performance. Named one of Austin Monthly's "10 Bands to Watch," The Nightowls have been selected to perform at the 2015 Austin City Limits Music Festival. http://wearethenightowls.com/ Sponsored by Karbach Brewing
June 25 - Roxy Roca - Described as a powerhouse of Southern soul, Roxy Roca has a broad appeal, especially for fans of hard-driving rock and blues. Standing out among the impressive list of musicians the band has opened for is none other than the King of the Blues, the late B.B. King. http://roxyroca.com/ Sponsored by Tom Light Chevrolet
Scooley01
AG
When I was younger, my family used to go to several of the Starlight concerts each summer. We didn't have a lot of money, so it was fun to pack up some tuna sandwiches and fruit cups and go enjoy a family friendly show.

What if they sold tent spots to restaurants/vendors from town in a similar fashion to the Epicurean Extravaganza/Taste of Aggieland? Local business get promotion/advertising, the patrons get good food, and the city doesn't have to pour as much money into it OR compromise the original structure of the event.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.