Kroger vrs HEB?

33,435 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Rexter
csnole
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It is so interesting reading everyone's opinions!! I mostly shop at HEB because it is closer to my house and because of their Central Market Brand. I do think Kroger Rock Prairie's Bakery and Produce are better. I will go to Kroger to stock up on items HEB doesn't carry -certain Toothpaste, Marinade, Hummus, Cincinnati Chili etc. I do not like the parking lot at Kroger - too many carts left in the lot and I've been attacked by the birds (do not leave sunglasses on top of your head) I think the employees at both stores have been great.

Tradishun
One thing I'll add -- I shop at both places, by the way, but go to HEB more -- is that the seafood at Kroger is awful. The selection at HEB fluctuates, and I'm okay with that; sometimes it's great and fresh, and other times rather sparse. (I'd rather have it that way, if they can't get it fresh 24/7.) But the seafood at Kroger, to me, is uniformly bad every time I walk past it.
ksp
quote:
One thing I'll add -- I shop at both places, by the way, but go to HEB more -- is that the seafood at Kroger is awful. The selection at HEB fluctuates, and I'm okay with that; sometimes it's great and fresh, and other times rather sparse. (I'd rather have it that way, if they can't get it fresh 24/7.) But the seafood at Kroger, to me, is uniformly bad every time I walk past it.
they sell a lot of farm raised seafood. farm raised to me is bland, especially the shrimp. Always looks forwild caught.

With that said I have a lady who brings fresh seafood up once a month from Galveston. I just place my order and eat.
Stucco
quote:
My issue with HEB is that they wont carry name brands of some things if their brand also makes it. For instance, the other day I went to HEB for Mexican Style stewed tomatoes for a recipe. Del Monte makes them but they did not carry it. If i want aname brand of something they dont carry, I will usually find it at Kroger. i shop mostly at HEB but I do have to get some things at Kroger
HEB will special order things like this for you. If a few people order, they start to stock it.
dgonzo99
quote:
quote:
quote:
The Kroger brand products are great. The HEB Hill Country brand is the worst ever. If you find a good sale at Kroger's, they can't be beat. Actually, Walmart is tons cheaper than HEB, contrary to popular belief. I save around 40 dollars a month over what I would pay at HEB going to Kroger's and Walmart.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to his own facts"...Moynihan
Just stating that what I buy is tons cheaper at Walmart. HEB is as much as a dollar higher on what I buy. That is a fact.
bonfiresmoke
One more opinion: I like Kroger because of the senior discount and fuel points. Last night I saved 60 cents per gallon.

I prefer HEB for produce, meat, and seafood. It always seems fresher at the Tower Point location.
FlyRod
quote:

This. Other than Fred & Fred, the HEB on Fitch is the only place I'll go for seafood.
justalocal
quote:
Serious question - is $0.38 really worth the hassle of going to a second store?

I, literally, don't get it. I mean, I understand $0.38 savings is $0.38. But my time/effort is worth several times that.
I was answering the OPs question on difference from my perspective. Don't assume that I make separate trips to save a few cents cause I don't. I prefer Kroger but depending on what the menu is at our house I can't always get what I need at Kroger so I go to HEB. It's the reason that I said I shop at both stores.
justalocal
quote:
quote:

they sell a lot of farm raised seafood. farm raised to me is bland, especially the shrimp. Always looks forwild caught.

Good to see someone else that does not buy farm raised.
ksp
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good to see someone else that does not buy farm raised.
I try to stay away from ALL farm raised seafood or fresh water fish
techno-ag
AG
quote:

Amazon Pantry is also a FANTASTIC service.
Do tell more.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
My issue with HEB is that they wont carry name brands of some things if their brand also makes it. For instance, the other day I went to HEB for Mexican Style stewed tomatoes for a recipe. Del Monte makes them but they did not carry it. If i want aname brand of something they dont carry, I will usually find it at Kroger. i shop mostly at HEB but I do have to get some things at Kroger
HEB will special order things like this for you. If a few people order, they start to stock it.
I've wondered about that. I've talked with the manager about certain items, but they're still not carried at HEB.
aggiebeck
Amazon Prime Pantry is a new(er) service offered by Amazon for essential goods. You do not have to be a prime member to shop but if you are, you have access to more items. Delivery cost is $6 per box. As you navigate the site you add products to your box. If you fill up a box, you start a new one and pay an additional shipping fee.

Price wise, some of the products are comparable to Kroger/HEB, some are more expensive - they do have coupons available for some products which is nice.

Convenience is the big selling point of this service. $6 and a box of groceries shows up on my doorstep - worth it to me. Here is a link if you'd like more information: Amazon Prime Pantry
Texags is garbage
It's nothing special at all, but I enjoy shopping at the Kroger on Texas if I'm not in the mood to fight crowds. I'm a big fan of self check-out though too.
Rexter
I hate self-check unless I'm in a huge hurry. I would like it more if I got a discount for doing the job of the person that is standing there watching over the self-check registers.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.