Kroger vrs HEB?

33,326 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Rexter
bionat80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've always shopped at HEB but am considering trying Kroger. Any input from anyone about the differences between the stores? Positive or negative comments appreciated.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Prices are higher at Kroger and their produce is not as fresh in my opinion. Kroger does not usually have people peddling stuff outside their stores, so there's that.

I prefer Walmart to Kroger but shop at HEB 90% of the time.
meezermom
I prefer HEB, but we shop at Kroger because of the fuel points. There are a couple of employees at the Rock Prairie Kroger who are outstanding, but for the most part, the employees are incredibly lackluster and seem to not want to be there. Every time I go to HEB they are friendly and helpful, which I prefer -- but like I said, we use the Kroger fuel points, so there you have it.
O.G.
If you are talking about South CS, Kroger and it's not even close. HEB opening has made Kroger even better. Get a Kroger card and you will save quite a bit, lines are shorter and their organic foods department is growing rapidly.
bushytailed
AG
The produce I get from Kroger stays fresher than the produce I buy at HEB.
(I'm looking at you, strawberries!)
dachsie
My issue with HEB is that they wont carry name brands of some things if their brand also makes it. For instance, the other day I went to HEB for Mexican Style stewed tomatoes for a recipe. Del Monte makes them but they did not carry it. If i want aname brand of something they dont carry, I will usually find it at Kroger. i shop mostly at HEB but I do have to get some things at Kroger
bionat80
The Boonville location is the one that is closest to me so will be trying there.
jagouar1
AG
I do a mix of kroger and sams. Kroger for general groceries and for the fuel points and sams for the bulk items that do not go bad that makes sense buying in bulk.

I much prefer kroger to heb mainly because they are not as crowded so its easier to get in and out. I can be in and out of kroger in 20 mins most times where it takes me twice as long when I go to heb.
aggiepaintrain
AG
One thing I'll add, is that I HATE the parking lot at HEB at hwy 40.

Kroger on RP is by far the best Kroger around here.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Prices are higher at Kroger and their produce is not as fresh in my opinion. They do not usually have people peddling stuff outside their stores, so there's that.
Exactly the opposite for me. Kroger in South CS has fresher produce and you're not stepping on it as you walk down the aisle. Plus HEB had some guy hawking the Eagle a while back.

HEB does get the nod, though, for friendlier employees.
MiMi
S
I do most of my shopping at HEB but go to Kroger for things HEB doesn't offer or if they are having a good sale on meat that week. I find the produce is fresher at Kroger, especially strawberries. The prices for deli meat is significantly higher at Kroger.
InMyOpinion
quote:
The Boonville location is the one that is closest to me so will be trying there.

I have shopped at this location since it opened and have never had a problem. I don't really compare prices because it is the closest grocery store to me and I like the convenience. I have shopped at HEB when I see low priced ribs or brisket.
biobioprof
I've never liked the Kroger on Texas only because the way the doors were set up where the entry was on the left. Don't even know if it's still that way.
ksp
I also believe kroger has better produce by a wide margin. with that said 70% of what we buy comes from sams club, 30% from kroger.
likestoread
AG
I prefer the Kroger at RP. I add coupons to my Kroger Plus card which is very convenient. Additionally by being a regular shopper I get extra coupons. The fuel points are nice. I like the store especially since the restrestructure.
likestoread
AG
Can't figure out how to edit on my phone- should have said,since the restructure
Jayjay4268
AG
We typically alternate between Kroger and HEB, with one exception-we refuse to go to the Kroger on Texas. It is poorly laid out and generally just older and not as well kept.

It is hard to say which is cheaper. I have noticed some items significantly cheaper at Kroger and others significantly cheaper at HEB. Overall, i think the Kroger plus card keeps prices pretty competitive

HEB is always packed, both locations. Kroger is pretty easy to get in and out. Parking is a breeze, there aren't carts jamming the aisles, and I've rarely had to wait to check out.

HEB seems to have better and/or more plentiful produce (but only if you go just after they restock!) We do enjoy some of their brand products both for the taste and the price
ksp
I have typically found any seasoning, toilet paper, paper plates, paper towels, fruits, veggies (limited) eggs, milk OJ , cashews, pistachios, almonds etc, or basically anything you get at kroger or HEB it quite a bit cheaper at Sams. Sometimes if kroger or HEB has it sale, especially meat it might be cheaper.

I almost have krogers phased out except for deli lunch meat and fresh veggies not available at sams

8 lb red potatoes at sams, $4.99, about$1.50 a lb at krogers.
W
AG
the best thing about the Kroger's on Texas is the parking lot -- very easy to get in & out and move around.

not so much the HEB on Texas and certainly not the HEB on Villa Maria
PS3D
I'd like to reply, but I now work at one of said stores.
rhoswen
AG
Every time I get stuck having to go to heb, about 5 minutes in I'm thinking to myself "why is it everyone loves heb again?" Even if kroger was more expensive I'd gladly pay it to not have to deal with the chaos that is heb - inside and out. I find produce and prices negligible, but it's way easier to get in and get out at kroger. I don't need an Experience.
Carnwellag2
a lot of talk about the "Kroger on Texas" = there are more than 1 Kroger on Texas, confusing
likewise: "the HEB on Texas" = there is more than 1, must be more specific.

My 2 cents:

HEB (except the villa maria location) feels cleaner than the Kroger locations.
HEB usually has a better price on most items, even when fuel points are factored in.
PS3D
There are advantages/disadvantages to both, but it also greatly depends on the store location.
Rexter
Carnwall, you need to get with the times. There is only 1 kroger on tx ave these days. HEB stores are locally referred to as tower point, texas, villa maria, and 21.

I was a freeloader at kroger for my first job, so I'm kinda partial to them. We do the fuel pints as well, so that helps. Scripts also get 50 pts each at the pharmacy. You can get gift cards during the 4x points deal and save a fortune on fuel. I just use the debit for cards that I know we will use. I have racked up a few thousand points between that and scripts for the family. When you burn 75 gallons of diesel a week, every penny saved helps a lot. We live midway between tower point and rp so it's a toss up. I won't go out of my way to go to any store to save a few bucks. My time and fuel is worth more than that.
armymom
I prefer Kroger for 1) fuel points, 2) gift card 4x fuel points on occasion, 3) location, 4) lack of crowds, 5) easy parking, 6) other stores in complex, Kolache Rolfs, UPS, Bank, Hallmark, 7) especially love the employees that have been there long term and don't ask me what I'm going to be doing the rest of the day and other things they really don't want to know but ask anyway like they do at HEB, 8) pharmacy, 9) 10% senior discount on Kroger products which I happen to use a lot of , 10) lots and lots of coupons through the mail and electronically.

I usually cringe when I seldom do walk into a HEB and wonder why I went there afterwards. I really wish it was different but it never is. But HEB does have good chocolate covered donuts!
armymom
quote:
a lot of talk about the "Kroger on Texas" = there are more than 1 Kroger on Texas, confusing
likewise: "the HEB on Texas" = there is more than 1, must be more specific
Where is the 2nd Kroger on Texas? I only know of one at SW Parkway and the other is on Longmire off Rock Prairie.
PS3D
There used to be a Kroger at Texas Avenue and Post Office Road. It moved in...2007? Does that sound right?
summergal
HEB is more economical for a lot of families, like mine. If I were you I'd try our Boonville Kroger. The clerks are great and you can usually get in and out very quickly. They have some pretty decent sales. But I never buy my meat from there, always HEB. The natural section is great and once you get used to the layout it's easier to navigate.
justalocal
I shop at both stores. I use to be able to get out of Krogers pretty quick until someone had a bright idea to rearrange the aisles about a month ago. The sucky thing about HEB at 40 is that everything is so spread out... If I forget the milk and I'm already in produce, I have to hike all the way across the store thru the crowds.

Kroger sends me good coupons. I can usually get a better deal with Kroger sales plus coupons.

Kroger no longer carries the Taco Bell seasoning packet or the snikkidy brand snacks but HEB does. HEB has superior meats and seafood. Kroger has Nolan Ryan brand sausage and hotdogs. Kroger usually has the lunch able that my child eats on sale for $1, heb wants $1.38. Kroger has the fair life milk plus they send me coupons for it. HEB charges less for formula and 7th generation diapers.

HEB has a better bakery.

Ive had more winning lotto tickets at Kroger than HEB but I know someone with the opposite luck. I like the Kroger pharmacy better, the prescriptions are always cheaper at Kroger than HEB although I don't know why.

hope that helps.
AggieJason
AG
Serious question - is $0.38 really worth the hassle of going to a second store?

I, literally, don't get it. I mean, I understand $0.38 savings is $0.38. But my time/effort is worth several times that.
armymom
Oh, I forgot Nolan Ryan Beef...the best at Kroger!
agfan1030
Like Kroger's 10% senior discount on all Kroger products.
Get good coupons from Kroger in the mail and digital.
I buy Kroger brand products "almost" exclusively (except when name brands have good sales).
dgonzo99
quote:
Like Kroger's 10% senior discount on all Kroger products.
Get good coupons from Kroger in the mail and digital.
I buy Kroger brand products "almost" exclusively (except when name brands have good sales).
The Kroger brand products are great. The HEB Hill Country brand is the worst ever. If you find a good sale at Kroger's, they can't be beat. Actually, Walmart is tons cheaper than HEB, contrary to popular belief. I save around 40 dollars a month over what I would pay at HEB going to Kroger's and Walmart.
GSS
quote:
quote:
The Kroger brand products are great. The HEB Hill Country brand is the worst ever. If you find a good sale at Kroger's, they can't be beat. Actually, Walmart is tons cheaper than HEB, contrary to popular belief. I save around 40 dollars a month over what I would pay at HEB going to Kroger's and Walmart.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to his own facts"...Moynihan
aggiebeck
We shop at Kroger because it is closer to the house. Groceries are a bit more expensive but it's worth not having to drive across town.

That being said, if you have a Kroger card, be sure to go to their website and setup an account. You can load coupons onto your card which will save you $$. The coupons are the same (or similar) to the ones you find in the Sunday paper.

Amazon Pantry is also a FANTASTIC service.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.