Divorce Lawyer Recommendations

7,319 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ksp
HoustonAg2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any local recommendations for lawyers that are skilled at representing men in divorce?
cslifer
Celeste King has been great to me. I phrase it that way because sadly if you have kids you will have to deal with your attorney for many years to come. Best of luck!
EliteElectric
Larry Catlin
Robbie Neal
momlaw
AG
will the divorce take place in Brazos County, if not you may be better served by an attorney who practices in the county it will be adjudicated - if in the Houston or surrounding areas my email address is in profile and I know someone caring, honest, and competent who works that area and lives outside of Hempstead. He has been willing to meet at home to mitigate travel time into Houston.

spend the time and money to meet with several

ask good questions, be mindful of answers, perhaps taking notes

have a list of issues you believe of concern or priority

it is likely there are assumptions you have about divorce that are not correct/realistic

never needed to hire one, have ridden shotgun on a few
Muzzleblast
Call Andrea James in Bryan. She does family law in B-CS and Houston. Be prepared to listen to what you need to hear and not what you want to hear.

jh88ag
AG
Catlin did mine and was terrific. He's not cheap by any definition. But he's one of a very few that is board certified in family law (I believe Anne Cofer is another). Those two handle a ton of divorces in Brazos County (frequently representing the opposing parties).
Chazz03
AG
quote:
Larry Catlin

PrincessButtercup
AG
Sorry, OP.
Joe Nobody
From what I have heard Catlin is better for men than women. I have also heard that if you have any sin in your life prepare to get lectured, Baptist style.
jh88ag
AG
quote:
From what I have heard Catlin is better for men than women. I have also heard that if you have any sin in your life prepare to get lectured, Baptist style.
I would disagree with the lecture part. I didn't experience anything like that at all with Catlin, and I'm far from perfect.
EliteElectric
I would say the key to any lawyer client relationship is honesty, be honest with your lawyer. If they lecture you it is because your behavior more than likely is damaging or potentially damaging to your case. Have realistic goals and expectations and be prepared to have your life examined under a microscope. Lawyers, no matter what their skill and experience levels can only work with the cases they are given, give them all of the facts and do your best to follow the advice they give.
jh88ag
AG
quote:
I would say the key to any lawyer client relationship is honesty, be honest with your lawyer. If they lecture you it is because your behavior more than likely is damaging or potentially damaging to your case. Have realistic goals and expectations and be prepared to have your life examined under a microscope. Lawyers, no matter what their skill and experience levels can only work with the cases they are given, give them all of the facts and do your best to follow the advice they give.
I definitely agree with this!
HoustonAg2003
What should I expect to spend in the divorce process for representation?
EliteElectric
quote:
What should I expect to spend in the divorce process for representation?
5k-infinity depending on the case
Carnwellag2
[If that is what you want, we vote that you find another forum. The number of negative votes to your post by our users back up that sentiment. -Staff]
PrincessButtercup
AG
I vote we don't use someone else's going through a tough time to entertain ourselves.
Joe Nobody
A hidden cost of getting a divorce is that in many cases it pushes back retirement plans several years.
farmersfight
AG
Budget minimum $3,000. Depending on mediation and children, costs will increase. Try to get as much figured out with the insignificant other before mediation.
Goose83
AG
Another vote for Larry Catlin.
Savory
Anne & Larry charge at least $250 per hour.
barney94
AG
Anne Cofer
ksp
quote:
Anne Cofer
Pitbull right here! She will make you sorry you are on the other side of the stick here
TXTransplant
Even if you don't end up hiring them, I believe that any attorney you even consult with (ie, have a one-hour meeting to discuss your situation) about your case cannot represent your ex. Maybe something to consider if you think this could get ugly.
RebelAg635
AG
quote:
Even if you don't end up hiring them, I believe that any attorney you even consult with (ie, have a one-hour meeting to discuss your situation) about your case cannot represent your ex. Maybe something to consider if you think this could get ugly.
He's right. The attorney will be "conflicted out" as the presumption is they will have learned sensitive information about your side of the case that could be used against you.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
beefly95
Jack Dillard was mine and he was excellent. Others mentioned here are often too busy to give the time of day, and they charge too much.
ksp
quote:
and they charge too much.
If you have no kids and no money you are right, if you have kids and have some money then you are wrong.

But again if you don't love your kids or your money you are right. All about your perspective I suppose.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.