College Station Fence Repair

12,425 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by originaltexan
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Hey AggieBB, it's been almost 24 hrs. Have you made the call yet?

To my knowledge he has not....we shall see. And in all fairness, I'm not trying to drag him into a situation he's not comfortable with. I truly want to resolve his issue and change the taste in his mouth regarding Ace Fence. We haven't been doing fences for more than 37 years because of poor practices or shoddy workmanship. I hope they do reach out and we can amicably resolve the issue.
I just don't like these "drive by" posters who can very negatively impact a business. That's why I asked how you could stay in business without cementing fence posts.

I hope he comes back, and I hope you guys can smooth things over.
ksp
There may be a logical explanation, but if sod has not been laid yet why is the concrete not put up three or four to compensate for this? If done so and sod was still laid over it, the sod would die out on top of the concrete only,as the roots would not be able to go deep enough to sustain long life. This is what I did at my first house as the fence was put in before I laid my sod down.

I am glad to know landscape timber is not the standard way you guys do things. Every fence i have seen by you have been that way, glad to know it is the builders call and not the norm.

Thanks for posting all that here to clear that up!
Gigem2day
quote:
There may be a logical explanation, but if sod has not been laid yet why is the concrete not put up three or four to compensate for this? If done so and sod was still laid over it, the sod would die out on top of the concrete only,as the roots would not be able to go deep enough to sustain long life. This is what I did at my first house as the fence was put in before I laid my sod down.

I am glad to know landscape timber is not the standard way you guys do things. Every fence i have seen by you have been that way, glad to know it is the builders call and not the norm.

Thanks for posting all that here to clear that up!
We did use LSTs for a long time due to builder choices and their budgets. We have in the past few years totally eliminated that as an option to all customers. Treated 4x4s or steel posts now. And of course concrete!
ksp
Thx and this ??......... but if sod has not been laid yet why is the concrete not put up three or four inches up to compensate for this? If done so and sod was still laid over it, the sod would die out on top of the concrete only,as the roots would not be able to go deep enough to sustain long life. This is what I did at my first house as the fence was put in before I laid my sod down.
JP76
The problem is not the concrete level. The problem is using a landscape timber that is only rated to last 1 year and not supposed to be used for vertical installation. Why a builder chooses to cut corners and save $ 300 on a $5000 fence on a $250,000 house by using landscape timbers instead of treated 4x4's still does not make sense but I have seen it done all the time. Even if a treated 4x4 post is covered with grading dirt it will still last 15-20 years before failing.

ksp
Thx JP, I appreciate your time and explanation!

I do my own fences, as I am a DIYselfer, but if the need arises and I cannot I will call you guys!
Gigem2day
quote:
The problem is not the concrete level. The problem is using a landscape timber that is only rated to last 1 year and not supposed to be used for vertical installation. Why a builder chooses to cut corners and save $ 300 on a $5000 fence on a $250,000 house by using landscape timbers instead of treated 4x4's still does not make sense but I have seen it done all the time. Even if a treated 4x4 post is covered with grading dirt it will still last 15-20 years before failing.

This is true. It would last 15-20yrs even if below the grass a few inches and if you've got the right posts and adequate concrete.

In order to raise the concrete out of the ground a few inches we'd have to use those cardboard tubes to set the posts in and leave 3-4" of tube out...just too costly for every post. Already hard enough to compete in this market.
welborn
I had Ace come out to build my fence around our new place out in Carter Lake. Had the luxury of doing a ranch style as opposed to the privacy style because, well, were out here in the woods already.

I'll say this, they were quick, great quality, flexible in my design plan, and put up a dang good fence.

Use em. Happy to give a referral, would hope someone would do the same for me.
Gigem2day
quote:
I had Ace come out to build my fence around our new place out in Carter Lake. Had the luxury of doing a ranch style as opposed to the privacy style because, well, were out here in the woods already.

I'll say this, they were quick, great quality, flexible in my design plan, and put up a dang good fence.

Use em. Happy to give a referral, would hope someone would do the same for me.
Thank you. I appreciate a kind word!
wysiwyg
AG
Can't tell you how much I dislike folks on TexAgs who seek to destroy local businesses with false or questionable information stated as fact. If a business legitimately screwed up, call them and deal with it in person and then post on here if they refuse to make it right. If you make a claim that hurts someone and it turns out not to be correct, man up and apologize. I'll do business with Ace just for having the guts to come here and offer a free fence if they messed up. Good Bull!
BlueMiles
AG
Was this resolved?
jmazz
AG
AggieBB failed to contact Ace Fence for the free fence offer that was put on the table. So I guess you could say it has been resolved.
75AG
AG
quote:
AggieBB failed to contact Ace Fence for the free fence offer that was put on the table. So I guess you could say it has been resolved.
Why am I not surprised. Next time I need a fence, I'm calling Ace. Sounds like a "stand up" company!
jskin261
Anyone have experience with Randal with Ram fence? I have seen several of his jobs and the work looks good.
MaysAggie2015
I'm replacing a POS built ram fence in my OP if that helps.... Absolutely terrible work. The posts were put in shoddy, the materials were low grade. What I expected, but not something or someone I'd ever pay to let back on my property. Of the original Ram fence, 4/5 has fallen because of a lack of attention to detail.

STAY AWAY from RAM.
MaysAggie2015
Tried to try out ACE......Tried = Keyword
MaysAggie2015
Update on ACE - STAY AWAY. They are not responsive to inquiries, led us on about when the work could be completed, and then changed the service date 3x, 2x without notifying us.

Ace and Ram are both garbage.
ksp
AggieBB
AG
Sorry to bump this old thread but somehow I missed all the replies a couple months ago. I finally got around to addressing my fence issue myself. I replaced the 3 landscape timbers that were rotten. In doing so I also checked all the others and it appears that there is indeed concrete in the others. They failed to concrete 3 posts in which caused part of my fence to lean into my neighbors yard. So, I was indeed partially correct. I dug a 2 foot hole around the 3 landscape timbers and there was not any concrete at all.

I appreciate the offer for a new fence but I do not feel it is justified since they did use concrete on most of the posts. Fixing their mistake only cost me the price of 3 treated 4x4's, 3 bags of Quickcrete, a box of fencing nails, and a few hours of my own labor. Had I seen the replies prior to this I would have definitely called them and let them correct their mistake. What's done is done, and I'm just glad my fence isn't leaning anymore. One thing I did learn from this is that fence building/repair is Not fun!
Gigem2day
Well I'm glad you finally got it done and you took the time to check the other posts. I am disappointed that you didn't have concrete in the 3 posts. That's not a standard practice and I apologize for the inconvenience it caused. I would love to make it right if you want to contact us. Thanks

Jason
jmazz
AG
Good stuff all around. Props to AggieBB and to Jason at Ace Fence.
originaltexan
To Solid Fence Builders,

I don't know the ins and outs about fencing, but if landscape timbers/cheap materials lead to headaches, I would tell the builder that you don't do cheap work. You worked too hard to build your business and reputation.

I think quality home builders and buyers involved in the building process will specify and be willing to pay for quality.

I've seen this same issue in Dallas. A tract builder used landscape timbers. Each timber was about six inches in the ground. The first gust of wind above 20 mph took down about 60% of the fences in the neighborhood. The builder didn't care. He moved on.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.