So where do you get your oil changed? Another Varsity Ford thread

3,521 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by woodometer
SoTheySay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I have been at the quick lane for about 20 minutes and every single customer since I have been here has had an issue. This used to be the only thing I liked about Varsity Ford but that's over now.

Recommendations?
curry97
AG
What is this Varsity Ford you speak of?
SoTheySay
S
Oh, I'm sorry - COLLEGE STATION Ford.
rhoswen
AG
Wolf Pen or Shammy. It's a pain to do it myself, plus I get a free car wash out of the deal. Which, incidentally, is also a pain. Two birds.
shotcaller1
AG
I've always gone to Goodyear near the Wal-mart on Texas. If that's the route you want to try, be sure to use the online coupon.

I might have to try the Wolf Pen option. never heard of it. free car wash?
75AG
AG
Varsity, err College Station Ford will screw up an oil change?
Rexter
What were some of the issues? You have to realize that they try to drive the add-on services, such as fuel injection cleaning, brakes, shocks, etc. I always get some sort of service "needed" when I get my oil changed. Brake flush, coolant flush, brakes... I just say no. If I could save any cash I would do it myself. If I bought the Motorcraft oil and filter at wally world it would save me $6 labor from the dealer. My time is worth more than that.
rhoswen
AG
Shot: both will give a free basic car wash with an oil change, but there might be a minimum number of quarts of oil. Nothing fancy but they hand dry it, which is the nice part because my pickup is black.
SoTheySay
S
One customer with a tire rebate issue
One customer with a coupon issue
One customer who brought in his own oil and air filter, was charged for oil and air filter, Ford did not put in the oil he brought.
One customer who came in because he had something done last week and now had two broken lug nuts (I'm not car smart do forgive me if I got that wrong.

Add all that onto poor customer service in general.
Crusader
I avoid Wolf Pen like the plague. They'll try to sell you other things that you may not need. They sold a high school boy an engine flush on his truck with only 15,000 miles on it. They tried to sell another person a fuel filter when it only had about two thousand miles on it. Caveat emptor.
InMyOpinion
Sevcik's Service Center

I've used them for 20 years and have never had a bad experience.
Agsroll
AG
Sevcik's
AgResearch
AG
quote:
Sevcik's
Ditto. Made the mistake of going to that place (only once thankfully).
75AG
AG
Roll and Research, what happened?
mgreen
Sevciks and only Sevciks for 15 years.
ksp
Find some one that make you feel wanted and comfortable. All will attempt to sell you things , the issue is to find the ones who sells you things you need and are inline with what the manufacturer recommends. As with all preventive maintenance the good thing is you can say NO if you choose.
ksp
Also ask them to show you, eyes and hands on are the best thing or research it then go back if you feel you need or want to get it done
rhoswen
AG
I've never had anyone try to up sell me anything at either place (wolf pen or shammy). Even if they had, a simple "no thanks, just the oil change" will suffice.
ksp
I have taken cars to over 25 places in town , dealers and independents and have 100% been recommended something each and every time. I'll add each car was over 3 years old and over 30k miles. I do and still do this To see how each does their process , how quick they are and what value added services they provide and to see how each make you feel by spending money there. It is the way this particular industry is runs and strives . Again do your homework , read your manual and make educated assessments and move forward from there .
new straw
Sevciks has gone downhill fast since Leon died. Used to be my go to place. Now dig wolf pen. (By the way, everyone tries to sell you something, wolfpen understands the no thank you, just the oil)
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
My driveway. I like wrenching on my own car.
ksp
You will also generally find something good, something great, something meh, something bad, and something negative about every service facility In this town or any town across America . That's is just the way it is . Good bad or indifferent
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Shot: both will give a free basic car wash with an oil change, but there might be a minimum number of quarts of oil. Nothing fancy but they hand dry it, which is the nice part because my pickup is black.

Hand drying the car is nice. Don't they have a brush car wash? I've always heard brushless is better on your paint.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
I've always heard brushless is better on your paint.

Absolutely yes. If you have a darker colored car you WILL see swirls and scratches if you keep using those drive through touch car washes.

I stay the hell away from those.
Tagguy
AG
Not to mention think about all the crap those foam fingers and bristles can pick up. I had a roommate take his Camaro through one with foam fingers. It had picked up some pieces of broken glass and they wound up getting stuck in the fingers.

Lets just say the scrapes and scratches weren't pretty.

I know several people this has happened to. Glass, sticks, slivers of metal, rocks...etc all can get caught up in those things.
rhoswen
AG
Don't have any swirls and stuff in mine. Just hay scratches.
awo02
AG
Olympic automotive on E29th does good work for me
Rexter
Giving props to varsity.....I mean college station ford. I took the 2fiddy in for a few issues. Driver side heated seat not working, vacuum leak noise under dash, vacuum lines from pump to front hubs and other places are brittle and broken.

Seat- bad element covered under ESP
Vacuum leak noise in dash- tech says belt is slipping...? Ok. Doesn't sound right but I'll go with that and see what happens. I'll do it myself and save $70.
Vacuum lines- not covered. $640 p/l repair. That isn't going to work for me. After a few different people I talk to Grant, the service mgr. He asks for time to check into it, and calls back. Says they will cover it since I bought it there and have it serviced there. Works for me.

I know $640 isn't a lot for the dealership to cover but it goes a long way for goodwill. I have them do the oil changes because they are the least expensive at $90. I did tell them to go ahead and do the belt since they covered the lines. One thing doesn't cover all of the negatives, but you usually don't hear about the positives, so here it is.
ksp
I usually do my own work, but my sons F150 heater was not working and figured it was a blend door in the dash(I don't do dash pulls lol). Turned out heater core was stopped up, Flushed coolant system and heater core and back in business. Way less than I thought it would be.
4lilmonkeys
Have used Brazos Valley Automotive for the last five or six years (maybe more, but I had a bunch of babies in there somewhere and don't remember). Gordon and Bobby have always taken excellent care of us, they never do any extra work without calling first, and they're just a super nice group of guys. Plus, I can drop off our cars and walk home, so that's a huge plus.

frito bandito
Another vote for Brazos Valley Automotive...

and I can also walk home after dropping off a car....
Draconei
If you schedule an appointment at NTB, its $20 for a filter and 5 quarts conventional. The place is always a ghost town and that's cheaper than you can buy the oil to do it yourself.
Post removed:
by user
eye3guy
AG
Brazos Valley Automotive ... great people, great service.
woodometer
AG
Kwik Kar on Harvey. Been using them since they opened many years ago.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.