TAMU police vehicles

3,522 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by gigem70
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When did the Texas A&M police department suddenly acquire a fleet of shiny new expensive SUVs, and how was this paid for? Just curious...after seeing 4 of those vehicles today.

Trust...
ksp
Their old vehicles were part of an aging fleet and they get miles on the fast. Sometimes the cost to repair them loses its benefits and requires new vehicles.

Chargers and SUVs have become a popular replacement vehicle.

edit before the grammar nazi's get me.
justalocal
So. Vehicles are depreciating asset that end up needing replacement. When and if I need help, I'd rather have a reliable response than have that help stuck on the side of the road waiting for a wrecker.

You could always call and ask. With the A&M population growing they are probably hiring more officers which equates to more vehicles needed. Did you see those Tahoe's that CSPD has slowly been incorporating into their fleet? Ever priced a Tahoe?
ksp
Nobody looks at the big picture just a local, they usually just look at one aspect and go off!
FlyRod
I was merely curious with all the attention on public funds for fire stations and prospective city halls and what not.
ksp
quote:
When did the Texas A&M police department suddenly acquire a fleet of shiny new expensive SUVs, and how was this paid for? Perhaps from "savings" gleaned from outsourced staff, and freezes in staff and faculty salaries? Just curious...after seeing 4 of those vehicles today.

Trust...
Curious would have been......When did the Texas A&M police department suddenly acquire a fleet of shiny new expensive SUVs????

What you posted was many a stones thrown at every decision TAMU has made recently to troll the people effected by it.

and anything ending in........ Means eff you and I don't agree with any of it so there type of response.
FlyRod
Uh, no. First of all, dial back the caffeine there. Second, the administration made explicit claims about where the "savings" from such decisions noted would be likely to go. I don't recall a new police car fleet being among those possibilities, but I may have missed something.

And these made sense, in light of comments about depreciating older vehicles:

http://tamutimes.tamu.edu/2013/09/27/texas-am-university-police-get-new-patrol-vehicles/#.VCmsm_ldV8E

No mention of SUVs...
ksp
Unless it has changed, the transportation dept at TAMU buys the vehicles and leases them to the police dept.

regardless of where the money came from, and old aging fleet all with over 100K miles on them is not the ideal vehicle for law enforcement to be using.

And how did you know I had 5 cups of coffee today?
FlyRod
Oh believe me, I totally agree they needed new vehicles.

Just was surprised to see the phalanx of large SUVs out today. Can't imagine those things have the best mileage so in a chase situation it seems they'd be not only expensive but inefficient as well.
ksp
Fuel mileage on SUVs has made great leaps from what they used to be.

But agree in principle with what you said about that.

I wonder why they are switching to SUVs.

Time for a call to a contact to find out, I shall return!
ksp
OK Caprice went away so most went the Crown Victoria route for police cruisers.

Fast forward a decade later the crown Vic went away.

The Caprice came back, but in a slightly smaller version.

They now have 9 caprices, 3 new tahoes and one older tahoe.

Who ever said size didn't matter is wrong lol.

SIZE SIZE AND SIZE
EMY92
AG
I saw an out of town article about the large number of SUV's being used by police departments. Apparently, they hold up on the job better than cars. It turns out that they are less costly to operate long term.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Also, by the time you put a MDT (mobile data terminal), multi-level filing system to hold the myriad paperwork that all police agencies must file, and a center-console gear shift, you have very little room left over for actual people. The old Ford Crown Vic PI (police interceptor) had a shift on the column, as does the Tahoe, allowing for extra room.

As for mileage, almost all police vehicles have supercharged V8s, meaning none get good mileage. SUVs are also more durable than sedans.

Back to the room factor, there is very little backseat room even in an SUV designed for police work because the cockpit is basically a secure box. Since not all officers are the same size, you have to adopt a "one size fits all" approach and take up room in the backseat. They don't take up room in the cargo portion because officers have gear bags, flares, and other items in the back. End result? They don't make a sedan even close to what the PI once offered, so you'll see more and more agencies go to the SUV.

As for the cost? That lies with Transportation Services because they lease all those vehicles back to UPD.

Rod, you and I agree on most all things, especially for two people who -- to my knowledge -- couldn't pick each other out of a lineup. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here and are trying a little to hard to poke another poster with a stick.
FlyRod
Oh not trying to poke old you-know-who here. And I believe I may have made a massive error of observation; the police SUVs I saw later today all said "College Station PD." I could swear I saw TAMU ones this morning, but now I'm not...morning brain fog and all that. So I probably just shot my own thread in the foot, and potentially opened up another one.

In light of this, Staff do feel free to remove this thread..."unsubstantiated rumors" and all that.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Fly.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
You could always call and ask.

Ain't nobody got time for dat. Lets just make assumptions online.
AgGunNut
AG
The set the record straight on SEVERAL inaccuracies of this thread...

Police vehicles are not vehicles with "supercharged V8s". They have the exact same engines as their non-fleet counterparts, with the exception of heavier duty suspension, braking, and engine cooling components. While non get stellar mileage, engine technology has come a long way since the modern Crown Vic was brought out in the early 90s. Most of the vehicles, car or SUV, get about the same mileage with the way they're used as a fleet vehicle. That being said, the comment about getting bad mileage in chase is akin to making a vehicle purchase decision based on your mileage when you floor it once in a blue moon...not realistic...do a ride along and you'll see.

With regard to cspd, there are still some Crown Vics in the fleet, but mainly for the bike guys since they aren't driven as much. For upd, their Tahoes are mostly for supervisors and the officers drive the Caprice's that they've recently purchased. They've had their Tahoes for a while now. The decisions to switch to the Tahoes was made partly because newer vehicles brought out as Crown Vic replacements have no where near the room inside compared to the Crown Vic. With officers expected to carry more and more stuff with them, it's a pretty logical choice given only negligibly worse fuel efficiency. They also have a longer service life than most of the car replacements for the Vic.

Which brings up another point...vehicle replacement. They're not bought because something new is wanted. They're vehicles, they wear out. They have a service life, whether its time/mileage, or a combination of the two, it a reoccurring cost. Eventually they have to be replaced...
op_06
AG
Way to kill the thread with facts GunNut. It's always more entertaining reading the grossly inaccurate statements.
Yuccadoo
Much Ado about Nothing: but then, that is the purpose of this forum, correct? Ahem
Tailgate88
AG
quote:

This should be the official motto of MyBCS!
FlyRod
Time to move back to lost dogs, bee swarms, and restaurants that fail to cater to our every whim and desire.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
Way to kill the thread with facts GunNut. It's always more entertaining reading the grossly inaccurate statements.
Well, at least he was sanctimonious about it, which keeps with the overall approach of this board.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
quote:

This should be the official motto of MyBCS!

Sad that this is so appropriate
AgGunNut
AG
I wasn't being sanctimonious. If it came across that way, I'm sorry. Just being blunt about factual information that I have first hand knowledge of because I actually do have an iron in that fire.
Magic Mike
MPG is a moot factor in a vehicle that idles most of the day. Gallons per service hour would be a better comparison for police vehicles.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
MPG is a moot factor in a vehicle that idles most of the day. Gallons per service hour would be a better comparison for police vehicles.

No. The conveyor belt is moot.
aggiepublius
AG
Another important aspect to going the SUV route is the lack of suitable Rear Wheel Drive vehicles being manufactured in current models. FWD has become more common these days as it improves MPG and helps manufacturers meet the federal fleet MPG requirements. However, RWD is preferred for tactical driving situations and pushes police departments towards SUV.

Plus, SUV's eat children.
ksp
But just for Breakfast Publius, for the record and all
lightswitch
I wonder which vehicle would of won in a crash... A Maserati driven by Ford or a SUV driven by Sheets?
gigem70
AG
They need SUV's so they can carry around all their army surplus weapons and other stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.