Someone just got run over on university at McDonald's

7,957 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Hammerheadjim
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think when the left turn lane has a green light the pedestrian also has the walk symbol (unless no one pressed the button) at that intersection, right? So maybe this time it's the truck's fault, unless the pedestrian was outside the crosswalk.
PhiAggie
AG
Thank you for the update carpe. Thankful she's ok.
Scooley01
AG
Right of way does not mean what some people think it does. When you have the right of way, it doesn't mean you can do what you want, it simply means that others *should* yield to you. You should always yield to pedestrians, because their soft squishy bodies can't handle an impact with your heavy vehicle. It doesn't mean they can't be ticketed in an accident, it doesn't mean they can't be at fault, it simply means you should avoid hitting them, even if they're doing the wrong thing.
starbuck128
AG
When I was a student I was almost run over a few times crossing at that same intersection. Drivers turning left from Spence onto University seem to think they have the right of way just because their light turns green. In fact their left turn signal turns green the same time the crosswalk signals pedestrians to cross and the drivers need to yield to anyone in the crosswalk. So many times I had angry drivers honking at me in the crosswalk and I would respond by pointing at the white crosswalk signal. I don't know if that signal has changed in the years since I graduated.
Hammerheadjim
AG
I wouldn't have to honk at the students crossing that intersection if they would stop texting while walking.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.