B/CS infant day care

4,379 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by CollegeStationMaid
TinyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My husband and I are expecting our first baby in February, and we are starting to look into day cares in b/cs. Seeing as we are new to this, could anyone give us some tips on what to look for, ask, etc? Also, any recommendations or places to avoid?
SoTheySay
S
Don't get discouraged and end up on a loooooooooooong wait list like I did. Push through and trust your instinct - it's surprisingly strong!

We are very happy at St Thomas Aquinas.
EliteElectric
We toured a lot of places when my wife was pregnant and ended up choosing Bullfrogs and Butterflies over by the Connoly Building on 29th. Been very happy so far (6mos). Most all of the places we toured "put on a show", they had set tour times and only took us to certain areas, very measured. At B&B they said come by whenever we wanted, no appt. necessary, and, let us walk the whole facility. Just seemed a whole lot more genuine to us YMMV.

Sponsor Message:

www.elitellp.net
SARATOGA
waiting lists will be long, so after you find a place, be sure to check back regularly. But get started....you can almost never do this too soon.

We're very happy at Primrose for our kids.
Banker
My girls attend Stepping Stone School. They have attended the one on University Oaks, and now the one on Rock Prairie. I highly recommend them. They are so professional, and very loving. My children are so loved, and well treated. All of the staff go out of their way to help. They communicate when there is a problem, and are quick to resolve and issues that arise. Stepping Stone is out of Austin and is rated number one in Austin. They are more than a daycare, they teach our children. My 7year old was more than prepared for Kindergarten. The learning doesn't stop in the summer. They have a summer program that is fun, yet engaging. I really wanted a safe place that was clean, well organized, friendly, and my children to learn. Stepping Stone has gone out of their way ensure a safe learning environment.
carpe vinum
AG
Primrose is the best, it has a long wait. Sign up today while you look around.
justalocal
Covenant Presbyterian on Rock Prairie.

I have never scheduled a daycare tour, have just always shown up and no one has ever turned me away.

I ditto the remarks about getting on a waitlist. I will need care in March and we will not be getting a spot this year (14-15) unless there is someone that leaves mid-year (these are at centers that I would put my children).
AggieRN
We were at WEE School at Parkway Baptist (now closed). Our son started there at 5 months and we moved about a month ago when they closed. Very happy there -- the director and many teachers are opening a new place off Boonville Rd called Faith & Family Early Learning Center (in the old Camelot building). I visited last week and they said their two infant rooms are almost full, but I'm sure you can easily get on a list for February.

We are now at St. Michael's Episcopal (our son is 20 months old) and so far, I'm okay with them. Can't speak to their infant program though.

For what it's worth, you can go to the state's website and look at their track history for compliance/non-compliance with state regulations. However, please know that it should NOT be the only thing you consider when choosing a place. Tour, ask questions and go with your gut!
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
We toured a lot of places when my wife was pregnant and ended up choosing Bullfrogs and Butterflies over by the Connoly Building on 29th. Most all of the places we toured "put on a show", they had set tour times and only took us to certain areas, very measured. At B&B they said come by whenever we wanted, no appt. necessary, and, let us walk the whole facility.

When we stopped by, they told us tours are only given twice a day at specific times. So instead, we had to speak with one of the owners in the little lobby area. Felt very cramped. Saw that a teacher in one of the rooms was glued to the TV the entire time while kids played around her. Did I mention that it felt very cramped? Oh and the vending machine filled with junk food in the lobby was interesting too.

That having been said, no place is perfect and I think it's important for parents to tour as many facilities as possible before deciding what is best for them.
Butterflygrl
Check the state website but keep in mind that not all the information is correct. It takes them MONTHS to update the site. Ask the daycare director to look at the latest inspection. Talk to parents that have kids there.
Twix
AG
In defense of the daycare center and only scheduling tours at specific times...drop off and pick up and extremely busy times for any daycare. Often, there are others besides parents dropping off, and those people have to be cleared to pick up a child. A lot goes on at drop off with certain kids sometimes needing medication and all that has to be checked in and documented. They simply don't have time to lose a staff member for a tour of their facility. Just please keep that in mind if they can't work with your schedule...it's not that they don't want to do it, just don't always have the manpower to do it. And if they did, they'd have to pay that person, thus costing YOU more.
summergal
Two spots...first and foremost A&M Week Day School. You can drop in anytime and get a tour. Yes there is a waiting list but it is worth it to get on it! First Presbyterian in Bryan has a great program as well. Don't know about their tours.
rcannaday
AG
We have Kids in Stepping Stone on University, no problem yet.
Swarely
I'll second St Thomas
medic1969p
quote:
We toured a lot of places when my wife was pregnant and ended up choosing Bullfrogs and Butterflies over by the Connoly Building on 29th. Been very happy so far (6mos). Most all of the places we toured "put on a show", they had set tour times and only took us to certain areas, very measured. At B&B they said come by whenever we wanted, no appt. necessary, and, let us walk the whole facility. Just seemed a whole lot more genuine to us YMMV.

Sponsor Message:

www.elitellp.net
We used them when my son was 8 weeks old and ended up moving at 6 months old. Leaving a crying child in a back room by himself crying is not good child care. Another woman had the same problem. When my child stood at the door screaming when I left him was enough to move him. Changed daycare and never had another problem and he never cried like that when I left him.

Kathy and Cindy also used the TV as babysitters. I would personally not recommend them
CollegeStationMaid
In this town you need to get on the wait list for infant care immediately. We used Kindercare on Village. They are a lLearning Center with a curriculum. They work with CSISD so students are more than ready for Kindergarten. I recommend the one on Village. The Director has been there many years.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
In this town you need to get on the wait list for infant care immediately. We used Kindercare on Village. They are a lLearning Center with a curriculum. They work with CSISD so students are more than ready for Kindergarten. I recommend the one on Village. The Director has been there many years.

As a KK Village alum I can whole heartedly say that I have never had better scrambled eggs in my life than the ones I had at this place. I shyt you not, my bloods.
TKDMom
Two of our kids went through KinderCare on Village. They loved it! The director has been there more than 25 years, if she is the same one who was there with our granddaughter 4 years ago.

Our son loved home daycare, unfortunately, our wonderful daycare lady and her family moved around the time he entered kindergarten.

Mrs. Elkins ( I think her name is Bobbie?), on Berkeley in CS does home care, but I don't know if she has any openings coming up. Her kids tend to stay with her until they reach school age. I had a coworker who used her for her daughter and was very happy with her.
CollegeStationMaid
quote:
Two of our kids went through KinderCare on Village. They loved it! The director has been there more than 25 years, if she is the same one who was there with our granddaughter 4 years ago.

Our son loved home daycare, unfortunately, our wonderful daycare lady and her family moved around the time he entered kindergarten.

Mrs. Elkins ( I think her name is Bobbie?), on Berkeley in CS does home care, but I don't know if she has any openings coming up. Her kids tend to stay with her until they reach school age. I had a coworker who used her for her daughter and was very happy with her.
Cecilia Anders is still there. I saw here in WalMart the other day and chatted with her. We absolutely loved Ms Cel.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.