Super high speed Internet access coming to BCS?

11,090 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Prophet00
carpe vinum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yeah, suddenlink is announcing 1 gig service.
fcag
AG
So I can hit my monthly bandwidth cap 10x faster?
Stucco
Exactly. I've checked it out multiple times and haven't upped my speed because the cap.
AgProgrammer
AG
Short on details. 1Gig download AND upload or just 1 Gig download with some piddly upload? Pricing? Data caps? It's a sneaky plot...up the speeds but keep the caps. That way more unsuspecting people go over causing overage fees.

I'm sure they'll still be serving this over their coax network which means the same reliability issues that people have now will continue. It's a start but hardly some groundbreaking, press release worthy announcement. When we have more than just one provider in town, that will be an announcement.
Post removed:
by user
fcag
AG
We've gone over our cap twice in the last two years. Next one get's the $10 overage charge.

The biggest drains are netflix (HD content) and youtube (I wish there was a way to set the default resolution to 240 and not have it automatically go to the highest available on ipods/ipads).
carpe vinum
AG
This has little affect on residential users unless you want to pay a huge (comparatively) fee. This is for businesses. One of the knocks we've had from large businesses considering relocation is the lack of highspeed internet.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Short on details. 1Gig download AND upload or just 1 Gig download with some piddly upload? Pricing? Data caps? It's a sneaky plot...up the speeds but keep the caps. That way more unsuspecting people go over causing overage fees.

I'm sure they'll still be serving this over their coax network which means the same reliability issues that people have now will continue. It's a start but hardly some groundbreaking, press release worthy announcement. When we have more than just one provider in town, that will be an announcement.

They're running fiber in other regions of the state. I'd suspect they do the same here. It may be fiber to the node instead of to the premises, but it'll be better than the options we have now. I'm no fan of data caps, but they do increase as the speed of service increases.

quote:
This has little affect on residential users unless you want to pay a huge (comparatively) fee. This is for businesses. One of the knocks we've had from large businesses considering relocation is the lack of highspeed internet.

How so? Fiber is already available in town for business use. I know of several businesses using it.
Post removed:
by user
Stucco
The 15 Mbps cap is 250G, the 100 Mbps cap is 350G...so the 1 Gbps will be 450G?

The 15 Mbps connection runs out in 37 hours.
The 100 Mbps connection runs out in 8 hours.
Even at a 1 TB cap, the 1 Gbps connection runs out in 2.2 hours.
...And would rack up $25 per second in overage fees.

Suddenlink needs to get FTTP or at least FTTN and then stop messing with the caps.
Stucco
Or if the problem is congestion then at least do 'peak' bandwidth, like the cell companies did with the unlimited night and weekend minutes plans.
AgProgrammer
AG
quote:
It may be fiber to the node instead of to the premises, but it'll be better than the options we have now.

Suddenlink already has fiber to the node. That's been around for a while. With a time frame of one year away, I guarantee there are no plans to run fiber to the houses. They will be using the existing infrastructure.

Suddenlink actually announced this at the beginning of August. In that release, they talk about upgrading remaining customers from Docsis 2.0 to 3.0 or 3.1...that's the current technology they use over coax for their existing 50 & 107 Mbps service.
http://www.multichannel.com/news/news-articles/suddenlink-unveils-operation-gigaspeed/383058
Post removed:
by user
Stucco
quote:
On a more serious note -

To solve the real problems, if you see someone using TOR or something nefarious (not like that stuff isn't kown) - SHUT THEM DOWN. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. If you're going to be an idiot and torrent movies, you get no internet. Simple. We do it all the time in corporate settings. Adopt a Zero Tolerance for crap like that.

I as an individual that plays by the rules, should not be penalized by idiots.

I think that's an overreaction. Especially with our surveillance state. All TOR does at it's root is make your connection private, the same underlying goal of https. There are many, many, legitimate uses for private communications.
techno-ag
AG
First in this Suddenlink region, maybe nation. $70/mo., same as Google in Austin, according to CM Benham.

http://wtaw.com/2014/09/22/gigabit-internet-service-coming-bcs/
nwspmp
Gigabit at $70/month. Hell, I'm paying $60/month for 50mbit right now!

I'll believe the speeds when I see them, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
jagouar1
AG
The way I read it is the current plans will just be getting speed bumps for the same price...

The current 15 mbit plan will go to 300 for the same $65 and the 107 mbit will go to gigabit. Still not bad to get free speed upgrades the issue will be if the caps don't also increase. Will just allow us to get to those caps faster.
BlazeHarper
I am more concerned about sustained throughput, no bandwidth/data caps, and not having self imposed capping of the bit rate from content providers like netflix and youtube. I have full faith in Suddenlink's ability to keep the data cap. They want a toll road not an open highway.
rcannaday
AG
Based on what some of the City Council, and others have state within the community this will make BCS more likely to get big name companies to move here? Does anyone think this is really the curx of big companies actually moving here? Anyone else see any downstream effects of this decision, other than being able to stream netflix, or for general residents having faster connections?
AgProgrammer
AG
Access to RELIABLE, fast internet is a very important decision that lots of companies make when choosing a location. Unfortunately, businesses are usually uploading significantly more data than residents are. The businesses are the ones creating all of the content that residents are downloading from websites. The ability to share and collaborate on projects relates directly to time and in business, time is money.

As was stated on Monday in the KBTX comments, Suddenlink is not releasing a 1Gig symmetrical (upload and download) service for BCS. Instead, it will be speeds of 1Gig (1000Mbit) download but only 50Mbit upload and they are still delivering it over their existing coax network (which means the same reliabiliy issues that people have now)...aka not fiber. So calling it a 1Gig service that is "better than Google Fiber" is 100% pure BS and very typical of Suddenlink.
dfphotos
More monopolistic craptAstic cable service. Yay college station.
Prophet00
AG
quote:
^ True. There's three Large empty buildings out on the Bypass and 2818 where the AMS datacenter used to be that has fiber running right through it. I don't see businesses killing themselves to get in there. Vertafore (formerly AMS) left for Seattle, and AFAIK, those buildings have sat empty.

Actually, I work for a firm that is located in one of those buildings, and the IT firm that relocated from NJ, Cognizant, is in one of the others. While the Verizon PoP has relocated, there is still fiber located to the first building, not the other two. We had to spur off of it to get connectivity, and believe me, it is not cheap. We pay a substantial amount for dedicated 8mb down, 8 up from Suddenlink.

Right now, we take up half, Cognizant takes up one of the other buildings entirely, and another firm is moving into the third.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Actually, I work for a firm that is located in one of those buildings, and the IT firm that relocated from NJ, Cognizant, is in one of the others. While the Verizon PoP has relocated, there is still fiber located to the first building, not the other two. We had to spur off of it to get connectivity, and believe me, it is not cheap. We pay a substantial amount for dedicated 8mb down, 8 up from Suddenlink.

Right now, we take up half, Cognizant takes up one of the other buildings entirely, and another firm is moving into the third.

TexAgs knows stuff.
AgProgrammer
AG
quote:
We pay a substantial amount for dedicated 8mb down, 8 up from Suddenlink.

Bingo. It's a shame when you can get a faster connection through a 4G aircard. The options that are available to businesses in BCS now are Suddenlink and Verizon. Unfortunately, Verizon gave up on this town a long time ago.

Does anyone have any updates on the contractor that was running new fiber along the bypass through CS? I'm sure that it was probably just some additional backhaul for Suddenlink or a pass-thru transit line to Houston.
BrazosWifi
quote:
Does anyone have any updates on the contractor that was running new fiber along the bypass through CS? I'm sure that it was probably just some additional backhaul for Suddenlink or a pass-thru transit line to Houston.

FiberLight's fiber is live into downtown Bryan as of last week. They have some sites along Hwy21 and Hwy 6 pending and may already be turned up.

The quotes I got for bandwidth into FiberTown were roughly 1/4 of Suddenlink's pricing. We still have to transport it out to the end user by some mechanism but the raw bandwidth costs coming down.
rcannaday
AG
Fiberlight Interactive Map... map showing all of their fiber within TX
BrazosWifi
quote:
Fiberlight Interactive Map... map showing all of their fiber within TX
It looks mostly up to date too!
Post removed:
by user
Prophet00
AG
There is still half of the first building (old Verizon PoP), and half of the second building. Altogether, that's something like 20,000 square feet, which is pretty substantial in this town. Third building is completely full, I think (Cognizant).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.