Outdoors
Sponsored by

Question for the dog owners on this board

1,308 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by ABATTBQ87
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have any of y'all ever had to use a knee brace on your dogs? If so, Which one would you recommend? My 6 year German Shepherd mix, Jewels, injured her ACL on her left hindleg.

Jewels, my German Shepherd mix, is on the right,
Sasha, my Shiba Inu mix is on the left
ABATTBQ87
AG
Aggie12B said:

Have any of y'all ever had to use a knee brace on your dogs? If so, Which one would you recommend? My 6 year German Shepherd mix, Jewels, injured her ACL on her left hindleg.

My Australian shepherd/great Pyrenees mix tore her ACL a few years ago and didn't require a brace
dr_boogs
AG
I know my post will be ignored by some, as lately on the OB it seems that veterinary threads have become a forum to complain about the price increases in the industry, but you'll like this one because I'm not trying to upsell you anything ……

Save your money and use it for evidence-based treatments, either medical or surgical, with appropriate surgery being the most effective tool in our toolkit for CCL injury.

Steve Budsberg at UGA was one of the top 2-3 arthritis clinical trial experts in the world for 3, maybe 4 decades. Still is, but he recently retired. Some of his last papers were some of his best work. He showed definitely with force plate and kinematics that knee braces provide little to no support for dogs.

As these threads go, others will now tell you how brace/supplement X provided great treatment for their dog with an ACL, and to that I would refer you to Conzemius' "caregiver effect" study, which definitely confirmed the placebo effect in veterinary orthopedics. What I mean by that is that there are many treatments that provide no improvement on lameness or pain, but the pet owner perceives a benefit because of cost or belief in said treatment.
tu ag
AG
My dog looks 98% like your dog with the tear.
She just got diagnosed with an acl tear also!
Dogdoc
AG
Listen to Boogs. He knows stuff.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Screw the haters, I enjoy and appreciate your posts. You have always been consistent in honesty and proactive approaches.
W TX Refugee
AG
Thanks Boogs, appreciate your contributions to this board. There are several DVMs on this board that are helpful to all of us so we should be cognizant that the steady drumbeat of complaining may end up running some good folks off the board or at least not chime in where they have expertise.
AJ02
AG
Our guy partially tore ours. The vet said that in 100% of the cases where an owner opted to use a brace, the dog still needed surgery to repair the tear. And in most cases, if a dog tears one ACL the other will likely go as well. We weren't willing to risk it, given that our dog is big (85 lbs) and the likelihood of additional tears was too great.

We had TPLO surgery and he's done absolutely fantastic for 2 years now. He's 11 years old and you'd never know it from the way he runs and jumps.
agmom95
AG
We've recently taken in a 2 year old Anatolian Shepherd/Pyrenees and would love to pick your brain a bit. Can you share contact information or I'd be happy to share mine.
ABATTBQ87
AG
agmom95 said:

We've recently taken in a 2 year old Anatolian Shepherd/Pyrenees and would love to pick your brain a bit. Can you share contact information or I'd be happy to share mine.

Hey coach jeff AT Gmail dot com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.