Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trapping Coyotes

1,577 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Serious Lee
ST-AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do you use for bait or lures for trapping coyotes this time of year?
S.A. Aggie
AG
I never got to a certain bait that attracted only coyotes. I put coyote dung close to the trap hoping to keep other critters away. Never use the urine. I used dead rabbit parts or mice (always had mice in the barn). Sometimes this worked, sometimes it didn't. I mainly located the set up by fences in area they were crawling under.
B-1 83
AG
Chunks of prairie dog always worked well…………. Road killed rabbit or squirrel chunks are fine. I'm assuming the old "dirt hole" set with those. You can use urine for a post set in the right conditions.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
coolerguy12
AG
I got two just setting snares where they come through the fence. No bait other than my chicken flock that they were coming for
CS78
I like the premade baits because they're so easy to deal with. Murray's country mouse, beaver meat, and cavins gusto. Be careful with the gusto, you'll be smelling it for a week if you get it on you. Its gland lure in a tiny little bottle.

I hear the absolute best bait is a deer or pig hide screwed to a stump so they can't drag it off. Keep resetting until you stop catching.
ghollow
AG
I knew a guy who paid his way through A&M trapping back in the '80's. According to him, coyotes are the hardest animal to trap in Texas. They are just very wary most of the time. He says the best bait for coyote is porcupine. They can't resist porcupine.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
CircleO
AG
Red Fox urine. We use it year round and found it effective. Other baits work too and we mix them in but we use a heavy dose of red fox urine.
one safe place
Have to agree on snares where they go under fences. Have used various prepared baits and lures at dirt hole sets and flat sets, most stink so bad that possums beat the coyote to the trap far too often! Gang setting a prime location can help make sure you have at least one working set. But trail sets, snares or footholds, are what I prefer.

As to the poster who mentioned someone paying his way through A&M by trapping, there were a few years when that could have been done with coon pelts and meat alone. Big 8 accounting paid $15,500 a year, I quit and went back to working derricks for a bit more and then in winter I quit that and was making $900 to $1,000 a week trapping coons (with the occasional mink, otter, fox, and bobcat). Of course, the season was only two months long, as I recall. If only there had been ATVs back then!
RM76
AG
coolerguy12 said:

I got two just setting snares where they come through the fence. No bait other than my chicken flock that they were coming for

This is a good set for coyotes if you have defined trails where they travel frequently, such as under fences. A similar set using steel traps (and no bait) works well also and is referred to as a blind set. To work best it is necessary to make the set scent free so they are not forewarned or paused. Baits will often attract other animals which will mess up your set if coyotes are your target animal. Trail sets are often best without bait.
country
AG
Set an old style alarm clock or watch with a loud tick under your steel trap. Bait the surface however you normally do. My preference is cat or coon scat with a few drops of bobcat urine. The coyote's curiosity will get the best of it hearing that tick and it will go against its instincts and grab the trap. An old state trapper showed me that trick many moons ago and I have snagged my share of coyotes ever since.
wink1989
AG
country said:

Set an old style alarm clock or watch with a loud tick under your steel trap. Bait the surface however you normally do. My preference is cat or coon scat with a few drops of bobcat urine. The coyote's curiosity will get the best of it hearing that tick and it will go against its instincts and grab the trap. An old state trapper showed me that trick many moons ago and I have snagged my share of coyotes ever since.

What County? What Year? What was the government trappers name?
country
AG
Raymond Trimble. He showed me that trick sometime in the late 80s/early 90s in Kimble County.
Serious Lee
one safe place said:

Have used various prepared baits and lures at dirt hole sets and flat sets, most stink so bad that possums beat the coyote to the trap far too often!
this has been my biggest problem. dispatching opposums gets annoying really quick.
B-1 83
AG
Serious Lee said:

one safe place said:

Have used various prepared baits and lures at dirt hole sets and flat sets, most stink so bad that possums beat the coyote to the trap far too often!
this has been my biggest problem. dispatching opposums gets annoying really quick.
You don't have adjustable pan pressures?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Serious Lee
yea ive never tinkered with that. need to get that figured out. id beat myself up if i saw i missed a yote cause the pan was too tight.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.