Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2018

463,619 Views | 2229 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prognightmare said:

Pardon my ignorance, but will a snake eat their own or do they look for a different kind of snake to eat?

Ophio****us snakes will (kingsnakes, king cobras) but I don't know how often or if it is even a regular thing.
Badace52
AG
How dare you use a sexist genus name on these forums...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ProgN
12f Mane said:

Prognightmare said:

Pardon my ignorance, but will a snake eat their own or do they look for a different kind of snake to eat?

Ophio****us snakes will (kingsnakes, king cobras) but I don't know how often or if it is even a regular thing.
Thank you
Yep66
AG
This guy was keeping the mice population down around the camper in Erath Co.

Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Timber rattlesnake captured with machete in Beaumont parking lot
https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/local/timber-rattlesnake-captured-with-machete-in-beaumont-parking-lot/502-595551212
(Via KHOU 11)
Texmid
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/local/timber-rattlesnake-captured-with-machete-in-beaumont-parking-lot/502-595551212
(Via KHOU 11)
I am 100% certain I would not have attempted to pick that thing up. Kudos to that guy, I guess.
jgh85Ag
AG
Captured with a machete brought a different mental image. I figured they chopped its head off.
CowtownAg06
AG

DBWS?
Coworkers house in west Houston, I told him not to worry about him.
ProgN
YBWS? Vertical lines at the jaw? If so, I've learned so much from this thread this year. I also have a deathly fear of snakes but this thread has allowed 6 snakes to live this year because I used to kill all snakes, but I'm learning.
Badace52
AG
It would seem you have learned a great deal, because you nailed that one.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ProgN
Thank you sir!
12f Mane
AG
Prognightmare said:

YBWS? Vertical lines at the jaw? If so, I've learned so much from this thread this year. I also have a deathly fear of snakes but this thread has allowed 6 snakes to live this year because I used to kill all snakes, but I'm learning.
CowtownAg06
AG
12f Mane said:

Prognightmare said:

So I know the vehicle lines = water snake, but that doesn't differentiate between the sub species right? I don't see a great look at its belly and thought pattern made it a DB?
FTAG 2000
AG
I havent seen the article but supposedly someone here in Tx was bitten by a coral snake this week. Supposedly posted a picture on FB and asked if it was dangerous. Some folks told her no and she picked it up and got bit.

Unknown as to accuracy of story or status of victim.
Badace52
AG
Different patterns and diamondback water snakes have eyes higher up on their heads as they are more highly aquatic and spend more time submerged.

It is also worth noting that DBWS and YBWS are not subspecies of one another they are actually different species all together. (YBWS, blotched water snake, plain bellied water snake, red bellied water snake, and copper bellied water snake are all Nerodia erythrogaster. DBWS are Nerodia rhombifer.)

YBWS (younger one in front older one in back) the older snakes have the same pattern as the younger one it is just faded into a darker background and sometimes almost invisible:

DBWS (Houston area):

DBWS (Uvalde area) easier to see the pattern on hill country DBWS:

CM
CowtownAg06
AG
Thanks.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Didn't get a pic but I saw a pretty little checkered garter out in the field today. Do they eat tadpoles? ' Cause he was hunkered down by a little pond filled with them.
12f Mane
AG
Definitely
SteveBott
AG
Ok I think I know what your answer will be. Does this stuff work at all? Next door post just so you know. Snake Shield

https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-6400-Shield-Repellent-Pounds/dp/B00PK3CYKQ/ref=asc_df_B00PK3CYKQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198063854780&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13354688804998927209&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028267&hvtargid=pla-351042058263&psc=1&th=1
12f Mane
AG
Waste of money
ShouldastayedataTm
DrHeadShrink said:

(Via KHOU 11)
And that would be exactly why I do not run over snakes in teh road of any kind. They will hitch a ride and get revenge as soon as I stop and get out.
Null and Void
Quote:

And that would be exactly why I do not run over snakes in teh road of any kind. They will hitch a ride and get revenge as soon as I stop and get out.

Stive
AG
"If it's higher than your hat....must be a....."
Badace52
AG
Yeah... we'll just call this one an exception.
CM
Scoopen Skwert
AG
v
Whens lunch
AG
Null and Void said:

Quote:

Missed something on the walk around.
Not when I'm done with it.
Stive
AG
Badace52 said:

Yeah... we'll just call this one an exception.

Right?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Rattlesnake?
Courtesy Flush
AG
Here I was thinking that movie was fiction
oneeyedag
This two-headed copperhead was found in northern Virginia. Wild bicephalic snakes are exceptionally rare, because they just don't live that long.

Too many challenges living day to day with two heads. Thanks to the Wildlife Center of Virginia we were able to determine that the left head has the dominant eso****us and the right head has the more developed throat for eating. With a little luck and care, we hope to eventually donate it to a zoological facility for exhibit.

CowtownAg06
AG
Wow!
agcrock2005
AG
I dislike that copperhead twice as much as others.
Texmid
AG
I would love to see how it strikes and envenomates its prey.
txags92
AG
I wonder if the one head keeps looking out of the corner of its eye and wondering why that other snake is always there trying to poach the prey?
GinaLinetti
AG
I think this popped up on a snake group I follow on FB. The posters neighbor found it and wanted to kill it. I'm glad they saved it. Cool find

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.