Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cattle prices...

14,696 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by txaggiefarmer05
agfan2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanted to bump this as I remembered this thread while talking cattle prices this week. Cattle have been on an huge run as of late, just absolutely crazy.

I hope some of yall are getting to take part in this nice opportunity. Who knows where we are headed...
CanyonAg77
AG
Wheat prices exploded the last few days. Do you think that both might be tied to the snow in the Panhandle up through Kansas?
AgySkeet06
AG
We took a trailer to the auction this morning from our heifer/first calves pen. Only about 350-400# each but we have so much grass now figured its best to sell and let the mommas recover and put on good weight before the tough summer heat hits. I'll try to update tomorrow with prices
AgySkeet06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Wheat prices exploded the last few days. Do you think that both might be tied to the snow in the Panhandle up through Kansas?
I think we are hitting that presummer grilling season bump we sometimes see. Granted the late cold weather can have its effect on wheat yields up north

Hotdog and hamburger season lol gotta have that meat and bread!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
We took two trailer loads Saturday to the auction in Lexington. Mostly big calves but a few old cows too.I'll update when I get the check.

Sean98
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

People out in the Western 1/3 of the state are talking like they might have total losses. I would say it will be greatly damaged at best. Kansas produces about 20% of the total US wheat, so when you add the panhandles of TX and OK into the mix it'll like be pretty big losses.

We'll know more by the end of the week.

Quote:

Nearly 90 crop scouts, an amalgam of grain traders, government officials, reporters, millers and a few growers, are to begin a three-day tour of the Kansas winter wheat crop today. "We will adjust on the fly if needed. Too many people flying in from around the world to postpone," said Dave Green of the Wheat Quality Council, which sponsors the tour. The annual crop tour examines crop conditions, including frost and disease damage, to estimate the likely harvest. Its route begins in Manhattan in eastern Kansas, heads west to Colby, south to Wichita, and then returns to Manhattan.

From this Successful Farming article.
Tom Doniphon
Na Zdrav 87 said:

We took two trailer loads Saturday to the auction in Lexington. Mostly big calves but a few old cows too.I'll update when I get the check.

You'll be happy... last 200 or so calves we've sold have been good.
Allen76
AG
Two weeks ago (4/24/17) I took to Hondo (Union Commission Co.).......

Black Baldy Cull cow with a bad udder:
1610 lbs.....$58.50.....$941.85

Black Baldy Old cow, at least 17 years old, but probably over 20 years....
1420 lbs.....$62.00.....$880.00

Dunn heifer... beautiful but I only keep black....
745 lbs.....$114.00.....$849.30

Black Bull Calf
685 lbs.....$116.00.....$749.60

I was very pleased, especially to get this for two old/cull cows.
thann07
AG
We sent some culls (purebred Charolais) to the sale (Cameron) last week:

Cull bull (1500 lbs) - $80/cwt
Cull cow (young-1,000 lbs) - $115/cwt
Cull cows (1300 lbs x 2) - $70/cwt
Heifers (700 lbs) x 3 - $130/cwt

Looking at sales reports at Southern Livestock Standard, it looks like we were on the upper end of the ranges. Not surprising as these were in good condition.

Rds 2, 3, and fall weaning cull upcoming.

On another note, if anybody needs some white animals, send me a PM or reply. We have registered Charolais bulls, bred cows, and bred heifers available, and I'm planning a hard cull of our fall calves, so there's still good value in the mid level if someone wants to jump in.
jtp01
AG
Coworker drive down to Amarillo from Grand Island, Nebraska and he said word in the Kansas, Oklahoma Panhandle is not good for wheat.

We lost our entire wheat crop in Sunray, TX to a hailstorm several weeks ago (totaled 3 vehicles and every roof on the place) so the snow moisture is a blessing ahead of getting the cotton planted.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Saw something that said 43% of planted wheat in Kansas is under 18 inches of snow as of yesterday. A lot of wheat is broken over. Wheat tour started yesterday I think, which is going to make a more volatile mkt this week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.