Outdoors
Sponsored by

Maximum time alone/camping

6,601 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlaskanAg08
GatorAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I am planning a float hunt, followed by a mountain hunt over the course of 21 days this fall.

Unfortunately my hunting buddy stated a new job and had to bail on me. I really can't pass on this hunt and I've been planning a long while, so I'm leaning towards going solo.

It would be about 8-9 days alone on the first leg. Then travel to the next site and go another 10-11 days alone. I might get a hotel one night in between to clean up, but it would otherwise be 20 nights alone in a tent.

Most I have done alone is about a week and most I have done in a tent is about two weeks. I am a bit worried it will get lonely and it won't be that fun after a bit. This is remote back country fly in/sat phone only on the float trip, but would be off the road system and some hiking trails for much of the mountain hunt, so I could possibly break that leg up a bit if needed. Will be beautiful country and what I consider a once in a lifetime type hunt.

Am I nuts for doing this? Thoughts?
Caladan
Nuts? Not at all. I kind of envy you, in fact.

Just take along a means to notify authorities if you get hurt. Sat phone perhaps, or one of those emergency beacon doohickey-thingys............
BenderRodriguez
AG
If it's activity you're familiar with, you have a means of communication and a backup means of communication and someone knows where you're going and to look for you if you don't check in....I'd do it solo. Sounds like an experience!

TexasAggie_02
AG
Dec 10th.......wait, wrong thread
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Age could be a factor as it relates to risk...
GatorAg03
AG
Thanks for the advice. I am 35. Physically, I think I'm ready. I know to go slow, not push it and not take risks. I have some light survival training, have done similar trips with people and will have a sat phone. The float hunt, I will never be but a mile or two from the river, so I can realistically pack out an animal alone if successful. I'll be wearing a life jacket at all times while in the raft. I have done a few float trips before, so although it will be an unfamiliar river, I'm confident I can handle it. Since I only can hunt a mile or two from the river, much of my time will be spent at camp and glassing from high points. Give a camp a day or two and then move downriver a bit if no animals. My guess is a good amount of downtime that might get a bit boring. It is bear country, but with a clean camp, I have never had a problem.

The mountain hunt should be a bit more active and much more rigorous physically, but I can get to civilization easier if something bad were to happen.

I definitely will always have the sat phone and gps on me, and will have left my location and plans with my wife and the pilot in case something goes wrong.

I'm most concerned about the loneliness, weather making it tough and motivation to hunt hard and stay with it for 3 straight weeks... that, and eating mountain house meals for that long......
ursusguy
AG
If you have any emotional baggage make sure you get it in check first. Lots of alone time and self reflection on the matter can turn a person into a loony toon.

Other than that, have a sat phone and a couple good books.
GatorAg03
AG
Ha. Yeah I watched this season of Alone with ol Larry. Don't think I have much baggage, but will definitely give it some thought. I'm definitely planning on a Bible and a couple book. Hopefully, I can get a sat phone plan, where I can talk to my wife for a couple minutes most nights. Thanks.
AZAG08
AG
quote:
Dec 10th.......wait, wrong thread
Awesome!
ursusguy
AG
For me it is more of a having to be the tracker on a SAR team for a missing elk hunter in New Mexico. Former Nam vet that had recently got divorced. So he decided to go on a solo elk hunt. Apparently the divorce plus some unresolved issues with Nam pushed him over the edge. At one point me and the other tracker pretty well figured out he was intentionally dodging us. He later admitted he did try dodging us, and had no explanation other than he was afraid to talk to us (or anyone for that matter).

Yeah, Alone illustrates the concept pretty well too. If you go look at the accounts of many of the solo through hikers on the AT and Continental Divides trails, a BUNCH of those guys end up in counseling when they get done.
MouthBQ98
AG
At least you won't start any Brokeback Mountain type rumors.
texrover91
AG
Location?

And what are you hunting?

I don't think I'd do Alaska/Yukon etc alone.

If I was hunting Moose I would want a second pair of hands/legs, but that's me.

And if I was doing any swift water, I'd probably think hard. Regardless of current, cold water is a whole different ballgame...

But I wouldn't rule it out.

Oh, and:

Life insurance maxed out?
RebelE Infantry
AG
That sounds awesome. I personally would have a PLB (personnel locator beacon) on me at all times in case of sat phone failure. If you want one let me know.
Post removed:
by user
tmaggies
AG
Enjoy the Gila......
Buck Compton
AG
Longest I have been is 15 days solo, and that was more than enough. Didn't see nor speak to another human. I didn't have a sat phone and honestly by the end of it I was pretty anti-social and dreading talking to people (while still wanting to see another human)...

Great experience, and would do it again for 6-10 days anytime. But be sure to have something to occupy downtime - I did 4 books and a lot of writing/journaling.
Ornlu
AG
I had an old coworker, who retired at the age of 65 back in 2011. He was an odd duck - a talkative, outgoing engineer. Ran a whole division and had ~60 engineers working for him, none of whom would say an unkind word of him, even behind his back.

His goalpost for starting his retirement was to hike the entire Appalachian trail solo for 4 months, starting in Georgia in March and finishing in Maine in early August. He made it almost 10 days before he gave up, saying "The solitude was nice for a couple of days, then creepy for a couple of days, and then deafening after that. I quit before I went crazy."
Cancelled
AG
I know I miss my family after a day. It's also hard to enjoy anything alone. However, I notice that after I get over the two day hump, I'm fine.
Sean98
AG
Get you one of those bear dogs, or domesticate a wolf and you'll be fine forever.
marcel ledbetter
It is surprising how many books you can zip through on a long hunting trip if you have the ability to bring them with you. Especially with plenty of solitude.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
If you get a great sat phone plan, you can just log on here and converse with the crowd. Upload some snake photos for entertainment, give us a play by play on the morning stalk, show pictures of your converted jeep that takes on rapids, loneliness issue solved.
JaneDoe02
AG
Why don't you take your wife with you?
Chazz03
AG
Can't believe nobody has offered to go with you....
GatorAg03
AG
My wife is a school teacher so she can't get away.

The hunts are in Alaska.

I have asked a couple other friends, but it isn't cheap getting up and we are under 60 days out so taking off a couple weeks isn't easy.

Yea, I'll probably just bring a bunch of books and hope for the best. I could always float down to the takeout and get picked up early if I'm just miserable I suppose.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
The hunts are in Alaska.
quote:
Dec 10th Nov 20th
RK
AG
quote:
lol.
AZAG08
AG
quote:
quote:
lol.
GatorAg03
AG
quote:
quote:
lol.

Yea. I got her fishing and dove hunting, but we haven't worked our way up to hiking with 50 pounds of meat on your back in grizzly country.
Lungblood
You'll regret it every day of your life if you pass this up. No ragrets man.
Post removed:
by user
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
quote:
but we haven't worked our way up to hiking with 50 pounds of meat on your back in grizzly country.

Sounds like more training is required.
AgLA06
AG
You're looking at this as one hunt. It's really two different hunts during one trip. I'd bet you might have some takers to join you on one or the other if you'd post the information for each.
GatorAg03
AG
The 1st hunt is 9/19 to 9/28. Need to fly into Anchorage and then take a small plane to the Alaska range. Probably cost you $1500-2000 for flights.

The 2nd hunt is 9/29 to 10/7. I shortened it a couple days as I figured I would be ready to get home in time to watch us beat Tennessee in football. This one would cost around $1000 maybe even less.

If anyone has airline miles to fly up then the cost would drop drastically (which is how I get up there).

I'm not picky necessarily about who I hunt with, but would definitely want to talk and make sure we have the same mindset about these hunts. They aren't necessarily comfortable hunts and being in shape is important. The first leg is really the part where I would prefer another person for safety reasons. Would be willing to share half of any meat harvested (could be 300+ pounds). PM me if anyone is interested in more info. It should be a pretty incredible trip/scenery.
AgLA06
AG
That's good start. What species, what area, what terrain? Can someone joining you get tags as well, or was this draw only and they'd just be spotting and splitting the meat? If they can get tags, what are the options and costs? Rifle hunt or bow? What gear would they need? Etc.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
quote:
lol.
I had the bright idea of trying to get my wife into backpacking, so I took her to Big Bend last fall, thinking it would be a good intro. This idea....it was horrible.

I'll be doing my outdoorsiing alone or with friends from here on. Hopefully one of my daughters will be into it someday.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.