Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pretty amazing picture of rattlesnake striking

47,012 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HCHunter
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Nature overcomes and stuff like this happens.

Never forget.
agfan2013
AG
how could the wife have not been bit and only the dog & dad? in the pic the snake is inches away from her with the fangs out. I'd call bs if thats the story that I heard circulating with the pic......
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just spoke to someone who knows the victims father.

Apparently dog died and dad got tagged with one fang. 8 vials of antivenom. Gonzales area.

Can anyone confirm?
TresPuertas
AG
quote:
I said the same thing when I saw it. (bullspit)

Then she explained that she knew them, and showed me pictures of the wife in the hospital.

my co-worker is out of town today, but should be back in tomorrow. I'll ask her.

So we've gone from the wife being in the hospital and having pics of that, to DAD having 8 vials on anti-venom, all on 1 page of posts.

Consider me a bit skeptical.....
12f Mane
AG
quote:
8 vials of antivenom.

I'd hate to have that hospital bill!
12f Mane
AG
Don't forget 3 different locations
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think there is truth to this story... Just not sure what it is yet.

Only common thing so far is the dog died.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
No kidding. No idea what Chrofab is going for but I would guess that's a $150-200k hospital bill
12f Mane
AG
I've seen anywhere from $2K-$10K. Yikes
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:

Apparently dog died and dad got tagged with one fang. 8 vials of antivenom. Gonzales area.

Can anyone confirm?
My wife showed me this pic a few weeks ago as well. She works with a friend of this family. Mom was hospitalized but pulled through. Dog did indeed die.
Chazz03
AG
Dallas new station

I remember a Dallas news station reporting on it last week but when I searched for it the link doesn't work
Satellite of Love
quote:
quote:

Can anyone confirm?
My wife showed me this pic a few weeks ago as well. She works with a friend of this family. Mom was hospitalized but pulled through. Dog did indeed die.
Of for sh*ts sakes....now the mother got tagged? Why is always someone knows the friend of the family?
arrow
AG
Thank God the daughter hasn't been bit in any of the stories.
FC12
Facebook friends...everyone is a friend of a friend on Facebook!
UnderoosAg
AG
Colonel Mustard told me Mrs. Peacock was bitten in the library by the candlestick.

And the dog died.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I was just relaying the message from a trustworthy source for confirmation. I am still not sure anyone knows the exact story.
WC87
AG
I didn't realize aoudads had fangs and were poisonous.
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can anyone confirm?
Of for sh*ts sakes....now the mother got tagged? Why is always someone knows the friend of the family?
daughter did not get bit nor did the dad. Mom and dog per co-worker of wife. Was in the Gonzalez area.
watty
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can anyone confirm?

FWIW, in my original post I said the mother got bit. As the OP, while I'm not guaranteeing the info as it is admittedly secondhand, I feel at least somewhat confident about everything I said other than the location. The location was not presented as firm fact.
TresPuertas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can anyone confirm?
daughter did not get bit nor did the dad. Mom and dog per co-worker of wife. Was in the Gonzalez area.

Or in Victoria, or Olney, or on Mars.....
EMY92
AG
Here's a story about a little boy from Spicewood that was bitten by a rattlesnake. He spent a couple of weeks at Dell Children's Hospital. He needed 30 vials of anti-venom. The story was that he was climbing a tree, he pulled himself up and was face to face with a rattler in the tree, he fell. When he hit the ground, another rattler tagged him.

KWTX news story
carl spacklers hat
Based on the photo, here's what happened.

Daddy is holding his little girl getting ready for the pic. The dog is finally situated and Momma has been ready for 3 minutes. As Daddy is getting into final position, he either stepped on or kicked the snake, which got his attention and caused him to recoil and look down. If you look at the little girl in the last pic, she looks like she's starting to look down too, like, WTF is THAT?!?! Momma, of course, is clueless.

The first strike from the snake, instigated by Daddy's misplaced boot, missed Momma. If you look at the orientation of the striking snake to Momma's legs, the snake missed and passed between her legs. At this point, the s&^t's hitting the fan, Daddy pushes Momma out of the way, throws his little girl to Momma and returns his attention to the viper. The dog is going crazy, gets hit a couple of times before Daddy can intervene and Daddy subsequently takes one on the arm while getting the dog out of harms way.

I think that pretty much sums it up.
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
I didn't realize aoudads had fangs and were poisonous.
schmellba99
AG
Nothing in the Victoria Advocate online about this snake bite, nor in the Gonzales Inquirer. You'd think this would be a big deal in one of those towns.

Only news stories are CBS related sites and they say Victoria.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Damn it OB... We're supposed to know stuff. Why haven't we identified the victims third grade teacher, whether they like beans in their chili, and if they prefer shoulder shots or neck shots?

What's happened to this place?
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
Based on the photo, here's what happened.

Daddy is holding his little girl getting ready for the pic. The dog is finally situated and Momma has been ready for 3 minutes. As Daddy is getting into final position, he either stepped on or kicked the snake, which got his attention and caused him to recoil and look down. If you look at the little girl in the last pic, she looks like she's starting to look down too, like, WTF is THAT?!?! Momma, of course, is clueless.

The first strike from the snake, instigated by Daddy's misplaced boot, missed Momma. If you look at the orientation of the striking snake to Momma's legs, the snake missed and passed between her legs. At this point, the s&^t's hitting the fan, Daddy pushes Momma out of the way, throws his little girl to Momma and returns his attention to the viper. The dog is going crazy, gets hit a couple of times before Daddy can intervene and Daddy subsequently takes one on the arm while getting the dog out of harms way.

I think that pretty much sums it up.
I actually think you could be onto something. I noticed the same thing about the little girl when I looked at the less censored pics. Dad is jerking that left arm back (as mentioned earlier), but the little girl is looking down too. Something grabbed her attention. As for the snake missing mamma,I kinda thought the same thing with how extended the snakes fangs are in that photo. I'm no viper strike expert but don't the fangs reach full extension about the time the strike is at it's greatest extent? Seems possible the snake is about to fall short of catching mom's hand/forearm.

Mom went over and nealt down. Dad set up teh camera and framed the pic around mom and perhaps daughter already there or waiting with dad. Dad set the timer on the camera, scoops up daughter and walks over and starts to kneel down. Could have even been the dog that caused the snake to suddenly feel cornered and have no reasonable path for escape.
BearJew13
AG
I'm sure the snake was just trying to be reasonable
AG81xx
AG
I've heard that as feral hogs have become more abundant that rattlers are starting to adapt by not rattling. If true, may not get the warnings we have been use to.
MookieBlaylock
AG
My coworker that did get bit and i saw the bite wound said the snake rattled after striking

So yes they are adapting apparently

giddings_ag_06
AG
If it was on the Willow City Loop, it should be pointed out that it's illegal to stop and get out of your vehicle for any reason. It's a private road with numerous signs along it stating so.

We see bikers pulled over all the time and even saw some skinny dippers in the creek about 200 yards from our cabin's front porch once. No, we didn't take pictures. The camera would have broke.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
I've heard that as feral hogs have become more abundant that rattlers are starting to adapt by not rattling. If true, may not get the warnings we have been use to.

Clever girl...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I'm calling BS on the whole thing. Unless that rattler was wearing these

Looks like in reality dad was reacting to his daughter peeing on his leg and someone shopped the snake into the pic.
watty
AG
quote:
If it was on the Willow City Loop, it should be pointed out that it's illegal to stop and get out of your vehicle for any reason. It's a private road with numerous signs along it stating so.

We see bikers pulled over all the time and even saw some skinny dippers in the creek about 200 yards from our cabin's front porch once. No, we didn't take pictures. The camera would have broke.

I don't think it was there. The guy who gave the picture to my dad was on the loop, but I think it was a misunderstanding that the bite actually happened there.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
quote:
quote:

I love it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.