Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gun buying and selling etiquette on Texags.

9,954 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by fire09
hopeandrealchange
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guys please educate an old timer. Yesterday I found a pistol for sale on the classified board. I texted the seller and we negotiated a deal. We where scheduled to make the transfer today at lunch and part of the deal was I was going to buy lunch. Last night the seller texted me with the news he had made a better deal and sold the gun. I followed up by calling him out on his post and also followed up with a text calling him out. He apologized and realized what he had done was wrong. Another poster chimed in and thought I was mad because I was not able to cheat the seller out of $50 bucks.
Am I so out of touch with society that I am wrong on this issue. Please educate me. And what should I expect in the future dealing with folks on this forum?
confucius_ag
AG
A deal is a deal.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah that's sorry. The post trying to call you out is dumb.
Centerpole90
AG
You are right. You're still in touch. The Internet has all types, even Texags.
AV8ORAG84
AG
If you made a deal, he should have sold you the gun.,
In his defense many people do not honor their deals anymore. Buyer beware. I would never buy anything from him again.
mneisch
AG
Really crappy of the seller. At the very least he should have contacted you to let you know about the higher offer and given you a chance to match it. Personally I think a deal is a deal though and the seller should chalk it as a lesson learned (bird in the hand yada yada) and sell to you at the original agreed upon price.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
In the past, if someone is offering less than my asking price, I make clear that if someone does offer me full value, that I would take that offer. However, if I didn't say that, I definitely would not have gone back on the deal. I look at it this way... the continuing good will of Texags is worth far more than a little extra on a given sale. Plus, we're all ags.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Add the one that got pissy at you as one to never deal with.
SanAntoneAg
AG
The seller did you wrong. As far as someone calling you out, they are a fool.
HumbleAg04
AG
Seller was being a jerk. You understand it right.
CharlieBrown17
AG
This is why the OB is the best board on TA
schmellba99
AG
You have it right. The OP in that thread crawfished on a deal he had made. Poor form, but unfortunately indicative of a generation that doesn't even know what a good handshake and looking somebody in the eye is worth.
CharlieBrown17
AG

I see a few others have been over to the classifieds post
Texas 1836
AG
That's sorry of him to back out. And sorry of the other person to take his side. Birds of a feather, I assume.

And if we had a Thunderdome, the crawfish would have wound up like this ...

drummer0415
AG
The seller is a jerk and you have every right to be upset. He made a deal and should have stuck with it. Sorry OP.
MasterAggie
AG
quote:
Please educate me.
Don't need to. You got screwed. You are right to be pissed. Other guy is a jerk.
att hello
I could be wrong, but I think Ackley is a big liberal on the politics board -- it would explain his mindset.
tlh3842
AG
I would have taken a few dollars less and had lunch with a fellow OB Texager, for sure. Plus, meeting someone from the OB means you could have a new hunting or fishing buddy!
hopeandrealchange
Guys thanks for the input. I do not want to pile on Culligan he fessed up to his mistake and confessed he made a bad judgment call. I am proud to learn that I am not totally out of touch with society. I have always held value in the Aggie code of honor and I have always wished more of our society would live by these principles. Thanks again for renewing my faith. My wife of 32 years say's I am very Nave. And I hope to be able to continue to live like this.
sunchaser
AG
I have had the same thing happen to me twice so I don't even look at guns for sale anymore.
SanAntoneAg
AG
quote:
I could be wrong, but I think Ackley is a big liberal on the politics board -- it would explain his mindset.

Looks like his post magically disappeared.
Urban Ag
AG
I've sold numerous guns on this board over the years.

I have never once backed out of an agreed upon sale. And I have received better offers after deals were made.

And for the record, this is the only board I feel comfortable enough to even consider taking part in such transactions and all of my dealings have worked out very well.
youandwhosearmy
This mindset is much too common. Probably what happens more is buyers backing out on a "deal" when they find a better one.
IDAGG
AG
"The deal is the deal" Just ask The Transporter.

And I agree, once the seller agreed to the deal he should have followed through on the agreed upon price. Bad bull.
AG
That is one of the nice things about the ARFCOM equipment exchange. You crawfish on a deal. You get a lifetime banhammer after they talk to both sides.
AG
I've sold a handful of guns on texags and never had a bad experience.
agsalaska
AG
I bought a gun from a guy off of guntrader a month or so back, meeting him in Austin. He called me the night before confirming that I was 100% for sure going to buy it because another guy also wanted it. Said yes I do. When I met him the other guy was calling him to see if I showed. I gave him the $725 for the rifle and he told me the other guy had offered him more but had already committed to our deal. And we were complete strangers. I would jave done the same thing. A deal is a deal.
ZooGuy
AG
You don't welch on a handshake agreement. Especially not for $50.
gibberish
AG
Handshakes don't mean what they used to, ask this Ag about it.

chuckr70
AG
A man's word should mean something.
Ark03
AG
I was also burned on Texags a year or two ago - I bought and paid for something that I never got. He claimed he shipped it and it was returned, but he never made an effort to reship it or refund my money. I was out $200.

There are downright thieves on Texags, just like anywhere else. I'm not trusting a handshake deal, and I'm not trusting someone here more than anywhere else.
NOBEVO
AG
I made a good deal on this site on a Ruger Red Label this week for the asking price. The seller lives in San Antonio. I live in DFW. He waited three days for my son to pick up the gun and bring cash although he had a number of buyers willing to pay his asking price or more during that three day time period; some in San Antonio. All of this based on the value of his word. What else needs to be said?

Kenneth_2003
AG
Just purchased an item from a listing on TexAgs. Seller was in Katy, I'm in Beeville. Seller emailed me yesterday morning he had dropped the item off at FedEx, gave me a final price including shipping, and a tracking number. On my way to work this morning I put a check in the mailbox. Got to come home at lunch and FedEx had the item sitting on my front porch.

There are still good ones here looking to broker an honest barter.
Hoss
AG
I pretty much agree with everyone above. Once you make the deal you stick to it. I don't know how many times I've made a deal with someone on TexAgs, Craigslist or elsewhere to sell something and then have someone offer more later. You have to honor the first deal you made though.

With that being said, there have been times when I've posted something for sell and got an early low offer. In those situations I usually tell the potential buyer that I just posted it and want to give it more time to see if a higher offer comes in before I sell for that low. Usually if I wait I get a better offer, but there have also been times when I went back to the original offer and sold it for less than I really wanted to just to get rid of it.
ZooGuy
AG
I've never had any issue with selling or purchasing anything on Texags. Everyone has always been very forthcoming. If I'm buying something where they have to mail it to me, I usually send payment first and vice versa.

I also make it a point to not buy or sell anything unless they have Ag Tag. Also, I usually only buy or sell to those who have bought or sold something before.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.