Outdoors
Sponsored by

Kentucky man shoots down drone hovering over his backyard

10,524 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by RK
WildcatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Obviously those questions are biased towards the flyers. But as someone with a copter (shocking right?), I find the idea of the flyers randomly picking some dude's house to scope out and tape really far fetched.
Watch the video.....gibberish's post is a hint.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
it has cut out a part of the process that helped older experienced members teach and train younger enthusiasts a LOT MORE than just HOW to fly
I'll admit that my sample size is small, but my interactions with fixed winged guys has been slightly less than positive. The ones I have dealt with have no trouble letting me know that I don't think I'm worthy of being amongst their ranks (based on nothing but the fact that I have a copter).
aggielostinETX
AG
they were watching his daughters sunbathe.
Centerpole90
AG
Well, as with any group there are subsets and cliques. Certainly there has always been a rub between rotary and fixed wing enthusiasts over runway use. In the early days of RC helos the only thing people did was hover most of the time bc that's all the gyros would allow. The 3d stuff cane much later. So all the fixed wing guys were pissed because the runway was occupied by someone hovering over it. Helo guys likewise didn't like being relegated to a helipad across the field because nobody was there to show off to. It's just back and forth like any other group. Most old timers did not take to helos well and never adapted. I've been on both sides of that argument before. However, the challenge today faces ALL RC enthusiasts and we have to approach it united and responsibly to protect our hobby.

Eta You've said that before and I hate you were left with that feeling. Fixed wing is my first and true love but rotary wing is a big, now biggest, part of our hobby. Believe it or not fishing and hunting share similar rubs. You know all that. I'd move to talk RC anytime.
CactusThomas
AG
quote:

-Were they taping or photoing his property? There is ZERO way he knows that by simply looking at the bird.

And that's why they should be shot on sight.
texAZtea
AG
Once had a guy call the cops on me for parking in the parking lot of his business while I was making a call. Perfectly ok because he was protecting his business, apparently.
I would have shot it as well.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
-Were they taping or photoing his property? There is ZERO way he knows that by simply looking at the bird.

Does it matter?

I bet you would feel differently if your wife was sunbathing in the backyard and a drone was hovering overhead. I doubt you would just ignore it because you don't know if the drone was actually taking video or not.
schmellba99
AG
Why must "logic and common sense" not reflect reality? Because we have let it become that way, so it must automatically always be that way?

Logic and common sense are applied on a daily basis by LEO all of the time - any time a warning is issued for a simple speeding violation or moving violation, logic and common sense is applied. To say it is absent is incorrect.

And if it were me, the local LEO would have to cite the specific law to my lawyer that allowed them to arrest me. Simple fact - if a law does not exist to be broken, one cannot break it. And simply because a law does not exist does not mean we need to create a law so that it does exist. We are lawed up enough as it is.
Bismarck
AG
quote:
But was it lured on to his property?

Clearly a case of attractive nuisance.
IDAGG
AG
quote:
If this is true, I would request a trial if I was him. I doubt any jury would convict him once his attorney explains the circumstances that 4 creepers were oogling his daughters remotely OVER HIS BACKYARD. Again, if true and I am the DA, I would quietly dismiss charges.
RGRAg1/75
AG
quote:
Why must "logic and common sense" not reflect reality? Because we have let it become that way, so it must automatically always be that way?

Logic and common sense are applied on a daily basis by LEO all of the time - any time a warning is issued for a simple speeding violation or moving violation, logic and common sense is applied. To say it is absent is incorrect.

And if it were me, the local LEO would have to cite the specific law to my lawyer that allowed them to arrest me. Simple fact - if a law does not exist to be broken, one cannot break it. And simply because a law does not exist does not mean we need to create a law so that it does exist. We are lawed up enough as it is.
Look, you've obviously got your panties in a wad over my comment(s), but it's cool. Just a msg board...

That said, you're taking some things out of context. I did not say common sense and logic were absent WRT LEO. However, if you want to put your head in the sand and ignore the fact that LEO don't get it right every time, which results in folks getting wrongfully arrested and escalating all the way up to getting shot, go ahead.

Like I said, I will rely on MY common sense and logic to keep me out of jail. You're more than welcome to try and have a LEO stand by while you get your attorney to come down and make him explain to y'all why you're getting hauled in. Simple reality check - not every officer is aware of every law, specifically when it comes to possessing and discharging firearms. They will err on the side of caution to keep themselves and others alive every time, which I can appreciate.
eric76
AG
The owner of the drone referred to him as "Drone Slayer".

That sounds pretty cool, actually.

How long before people build fighting drones designed to destroy other drones while still in the sky and send them plummeting to Earth?
eric76
AG
quote:
Unfortunately, the burden of proof will likely fall on the landowner in these cases. The "aerial easement" could be 500', but you're going to have to provide forensic evidence that it was inside that range.

I would've shot it down too, FWIW
I would think that bringing it down with a shotgun should establish that it was less than 500 feet agl.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Shotgun may or may not be the "tool" of choice each time.
Sean98
AG
quote:

How long before people build fighting drones designed to destroy other drones while still in the sky and send them plummeting to Earth?
I hope it occurs later today. If so I need to go get a 12 pack and leave work early to watch the initial skirmish in the drone wars.
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:

I hope it occurs later today. If so I need to go get a 12 pack and leave work early to watch the initial skirmish in the drone wars.
And then all the videos on youtube.
schmellba99
AG
Trust me, my panties are not in any type of wad. I just dislike the notion that things must be a certain way because they are a certain way, and the notion that we don't have a law for something, so a law must now be created.

You choose what you do, I choose what I do - no biggie really.
eric76
AG
It would be fun to militarize an RC Sopwith Camel and take out a few privacy invading drones:
WildcatAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Start the truck then because the revolution has already started

Drone Gun
Kenneth_2003
AG
Victory? Victory, you say?
Not victory, a defeat, it was...
Master Drone Slayer.
Begun, the Drone War has!
eric76
AG
nm
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Were they? Maybe they were. Certainly a possibility. My drone can't look straight down (key part of the landowners defence), but maybe theirs can.

Or maybe we see Rule #1 on the daughter and all say "oh hell no they weren't". Maybe the SD card shows boring pics of that nearby field that they are thinking about buying.

They could have certainly been creepers. Or they could have been completely innocent. Like I said...lots of questions.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Yeah, but then we'll need mini flak guns to combat the mini militarized RC Sopwith Camel, and a whole cold war of neighborhood mini militarization will start!
eric76
AG
quote:
Yeah, but then we'll need mini flak guns to combat the mini militarized RC Sopwith Camel, and a whole cold war of neighborhood mini militarization will start!

I wonder what would happen if you hit one with a roman candle.
shulaball
Seriously whats the limit on these things?
eric76
AG
quote:
Seriously whats the limit on these things?

How about catch and release?
sunchaser
AG
I want to see the video of him walking out with a shotgun and start shooting. I wonder if you can see the pellets that missed pass by....and the tumble.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Its not a shotgun, but here's some footage of a woman going after a drone with a broom.

This version is SFW
schmellba99
AG
quote:

Is this necessarily a bad thing? I think a 3" battery gun set up for AA against drones and RC strafing runs would be kind of fun....
Unemployed
AG
quote:
This version is SFW

Where is the NSFW version?
aggiesq
AG
you're all overlooking the most important part of the whole story, the moral - don't screw with 10mm owners

Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
quote:
This version is SFW

Where is the NSFW version?
There's a link to it inside the video
bearamedic99
AG
South Park covered this issue last season
agsalaska
AG
That video is hilarious
45-70Ag
AG
If you're going to fly a drone in someone's backyard, you deserve to be shot.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.