Outdoors
Sponsored by

Event in Garland has me thinking....

6,586 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by schmellba99
I Like Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should I trunk carry something heavier than the 9mm I concealed carry? I know the best defense is what you happen to have on you at the time, but I am debating whether an AR in my car would be worth it. Are there any legal ramifications in Texas with this practice? What are your thought, OB?
BCO07
AG
i would think that in a bad situation if you have made it to your vehicle, your best defense is your keys
DBSwooper
quote:
Should I trunk carry something heavier than the 9mm I concealed carry? I know the best defense is what you happen to have on you at the time, but I am debating whether an AR in my car would be worth it. Are there any legal ramifications in Texas with this practice? What are your thought, OB?
Are you trained in urban CQB tactics using a long gun? How about advanced tactics and usage with your EDC weapon? What sort of engagement distances are you worried about covering? Are you accurate with your AR in a high stress environment, in a public place where innocents may be present at 300 yards? Would you be able to decide at 300 yards which is the bad guy and which might be a good guy trying to fight back with his EDC?

If you positively know the answer to those questions then the question to carry an AR as a primary fighting weapon from your vehicle is one you don't have to ask.

In the mean time, look for some good scenario based training courses. Start playing out scenarios in your day to day life. Here's one that I see 99% of the population get wrong: do you leave enough maneuvering room in front of your vehicle to give a chance of escape in case of an ambush or critical incident unfolding around you?
BrazosDog02
AG
This is mall ninja stuff. Carry you 9mm, protect yourself and your family, everyone else can worry about themselves or depend on the police. If you can get to your car to retrieve the rifle, you can also get to your car to get in it and GTFO.
agsalaska
AG
If you are somewhat rational and really concerned for your self preservation and that of those you love, you would be much better off carrying a defibrillator in your trunk rather than an ar15. I know that's not as much fun but...
AgEng06
AG
quote:
If you are somewhat rational and really concerned for your self preservation and that of those you love, you would be much better off carrying a defibrillator in your trunk rather than an ar15. I know that's not as much fun but...
Or both
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
^
|
|

If I find I NEED a long rifle to GTFO, these questions are not questions I particularly give two ****s about.

I generally agree that if I can get to my truck, my best choice is to haul ass. Everyone elses best choice is to move.
The key is to ask these questions before hand to keep yourself from getting into these situations. That way when **** goes down, you don't have to ask those questions, just get the heck out of dodge. Guns shouldn't be carried with the idea of taking someone out, but rather to give you a means to escape the situation. Sure, sometimes that means killing someone but I liken it to hunting: a successful hunt is not dependent on shooting an animal. Sure, sometimes a hunt ends with the taking of game, but there have been many enjoyable hunts that I've been on that didn't include killing anything. In an armed confrontation, with few exceptions, your goal is to be able to protect yourself while exiting the area rather than going in guns blazing. Unless you are trained in how to enter rooms, etc, you'll get yourself killed doing that.
BrazosDog02
AG
GD YOUR FAST!

I think keeping a long gun in the trunk is more likely to result in giving someone a free gun at your expense than ever saving your ass. That's my opinion. I agree with your comment if one is so inclined to do it anyway though.
Sean98
AG
Just wait until the situation arises, then hop on TexAgs and come to the OB. There is ALWAYS someone on here selling something stupid. Contact that person, tell them what sort of shizz is going down and they'll come and kill the people for you, if only so they can brag about it on TexAgs.
carpe vinum
AG
Stay away from Draw Muhammad Contests and you should be OK.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
Stay away from Draw Muhammad Contests and you should be OK.

JYDog90
AG
I think you're gonna need a duster.
cledus6150
AG
I carry a rifle in the truck, of corse mine is lever action .44mag for pigs. But in a pinch it could be used as an ISIS dispatcher.
Tagguy
AG
Sure it sounds cool and in your head being the guy who takes out some terrorist sounds awesome. You'd be a national hero. Women would want you and men would want to be you. Thousands of parents naming their kid after you for years to come.

In reality you are much more likely to be killed when officers see someone else with a gun. That or cause further harm. You'll have people calling in 911 giving a description of another shooter who for some reason looks exactly like you. There will be months and years of going to court. It will be a major PITA. That is assuming of course that you didn't get killed in the confusion.

Honestly carrying a long arm in your trunk so you can help take out terrorists sounds like a good way to be mistaken for one of the "bad guys".

As many have said if you made it to your car then you should just haul ass out of there.

If you want to take on terrorists or other bad guys and become a hero join the military or your state or local law enforcement agency.
anscag07
AG
quote:
.44mag for pigs. But in a pinch it could be used as an ISIS dispatcher.

Please tell me I'm not the only person that thought it funny, the same rifle used to kill swine would potentially be used against Islamic Terrorists.
Gig Em
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Honestly carrying a long arm in your trunk so you can help take out terrorists sounds like a good way to be mistaken for one of the "bad guys".
as long as you have low capacity mags, and remove the little shoulder thingy that goes up, you'll be okay.
Blane
This topic brought up a discussion this morning with the FIL. We both believe that the amount of money, time, possible jail, disruption of personal character, etc is not worth protecting someone not directly in our family circle.

Like Tag said above, there will be confusion about who is the active shooter. FIL talked about an episode of Stop the Threat he watched. Off duty plain clothes officer working LP at a mall she's a woman stealing. Woman leaves store. Officer chases woman ends up in a scuffle. Woman screams rape and that she's being attacked. CHL bystander pulls gun on officer. Officer has yet to identify himself during the scuffle. On the TV show a panel of officers discuss this scenario. One cop says if he knows the other officer and sees a gun pointed at the known officer then he shoots guy with the gun. Pretty scary to think a Good Samaritan might end up dead because of a lot of confusion.

The third party you might attempt to save could go through the same training, licensing, and buy a gun for their own protection. They could also hate guns entirely.

My opinion is I wouldn't want to waste my resources on someone I don't know in a situation I don't know every fact. We all have varying opinions and would approach things differently. I just wanted to add my take. In a similar situation to Garland, I would look for a quick escape that allowed me to go home and sleep beside the wife.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
quote:
as long as you have low capacity mags, and remove the little shoulder thingy that goes up, you'll be okay.
cledus6150
AG
I thought about it as well and the use fits perfectly for both ANIMALS, but again I have always carried it and it would not be convenient to get to in fight. That is what my CCW and my truck pistol are for.
O.G.
Many trucks I know have a 30-30 or an AR in them most of the time. Back in the 70s you'd see a lot more of the gun racks in the back windshields with deer rifles in them. Of course that led to a lot of back windows being broken.
carpe vinum
AG
I used to keep my little .30 cal M1 carbine behind the seat before I got the crew cab.
Sooner Born
quote:
Just wait until the situation arises, then hop on TexAgs and come to the OB. There is ALWAYS someone on here selling something stupid. Contact that person, tell them what sort of shizz is going down and they'll come and kill the people for you, if only so they can brag about it on TexAgs.
dr_boogs
AG
Right there with you. Only thing more rewarding would be to somehowet them k is that they are being taken out w a big gun.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Local Fox News said the officer took them down with a Glock.
76Ag
AG
every gun is either a Glock or am M16 to the media.
schmellba99
AG
quote:

In this case with it being a LEO, odds are high it actually was a Glock.

Probably not a Glock 7 though, because those cost more than most police officers make in a month.
DBSwooper
quote:
quote:

In this case with it being a LEO, odds are high it actually was a Glock.

Probably not a Glock 7 though, because those cost more than most police officers make in a month.
Easy guess is that it was probably a G17, 22 or 21, unless it was the mid-sized frames of those variants, but those three cover the favored calibers in modern law enforcement for many departments.
Ackley
quote:
In reality you are much more likely to be killed when officers see someone else with a gun. That or cause further harm. You'll have people calling in 911 giving a description of another shooter who for some reason looks exactly like you. There will be months and years of going to court. It will be a major PITA. That is assuming of course that you didn't get killed in the confusion.
When has this ever happened? In reality, this is just something that people say even though reality has shown over and over this is not true. This is along the lines of "you should carry an 870 in your trunk and just rack the slide, then all the terrorists will run."

You have to decide for yourself how involved you want to be in an incident like this. Just make sure whatever you choose to do, you don't tell anyone about it and you keep it locked up in the car.
John Cocktolstoy
Unless you are a trained off duty officer etc. you are best to grab up your family and whoever else you can and leave the shooting to the trained. If you can get away...remember your training! That will save lives.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
VanZandt92
I imagine id pull out the AR and get promptly shot by the police.
theterk
AG
I bet in some counties, having and using a trunk gun to kill an assailant could land you in prison for murder. you thought about using it and know "who" you are using it against. Running to your trunk and getting it shows intent at that point.
carpe vinum
AG
Charlie Murphy
ok, whats the story behind that gif
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
ok, whats the story behind that gif
link
Tagguy
AG
quote:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.