Outdoors
Sponsored by

Geckos around the house

12,370 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by aggiedent
Tom Doniphon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My 10 year old keeps at least a dozen of those things, that he's caught around the house, in some type of terrarium all the time. Cool as hell to watch them attack the baby crickets we get from the pet store.
APHIS AG
The only problem I have with them is when they crap on the wall, especially in the garage.
Aries
I wish I had more. We have sticky traps out in our garage & I found 2 on them. I was sad. Anything to help the bug population I am a fan of.

I had my first black widow encounter last week.....not a fan.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
quote:
quote:
If you really want to get rid of them use sticky traps. I put some out for mice and have caught about 20 Gekos.
But....why?

They do no harm and eat insects.
I've had em around for about 10 years; they seem to get along w/the anoles, who also eat bugs.

REALLY strange thread, this one.
+1

My wife kinda freaks out over any insect or reptile in the house but I don't find geckos or lizards inside very often. When they do show up, I just collect them and relocate them outdoors.
MK PhD2014
quote:
quote:
If you really want to get rid of them use sticky traps. I put some out for mice and have caught about 20 Gekos.
But....why?

They do no harm and eat insects.
I've had em around for about 10 years; they seem to get along w/the anoles, who also eat bugs.

REALLY strange thread, this one.
Goal is to catch mice. Geckos seem to be drawn to the sticky traps though. I don't mind Geckos
PJYoung
AG
The only way they ever make it into my house is if my dogs sneak one in while chewing.
Spore Ag
Bad when they get in the toaster. Fried Gecko on toast.
La Fours
AG
My wife has a crazy irrational fear of them. She thinks they will fall on her head and get stuck in her hair. Once or twice a summer I'll get a panicked phone call from her when I'm out of the house practically crying because one got in the house. It doesn't help that I laugh at her. She gets mad.
BCO07
AG
quote:
Bad when they get in the toaster. Fried Gecko on toast.

Not that bad with ketchup /ursus
Spicewood Ag
AG
I'm half gecko and I'm offended
PlanoAg98
AG
Buck O Five
AG
dive bombed the car in a parking garage today

techno-ag
AG
Look! Up in the air! It's a gecko!
bmc13
AG
quote:
dive bombed the car in a parking garage today

http://i57.tinypic.com/23ie6jd.jpg

that's one big ass gecko!

dubi
AG
quote:
My two year old is scared of them too. He will not even go outside if he sees one.

Did you teach him to be scared of them? My kids loved them!
agent-maroon
AG
Is that a gecko or an anole?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dubi
AG
quote:
My wife has a crazy irrational fear of them. She thinks they will fall on her head and get stuck in her hair. Once or twice a summer I'll get a panicked phone call from her when I'm out of the house practically crying because one got in the house. It doesn't help that I laugh at her. She gets mad.
Does she read Texags?
The Fife
That's an anole. A giant, godzilla sized anole! On the bright side if you're experiencing mothra problems you'll be taken care of.
TXAGFAN
AG
I'll say it. I'm a big tough guy, do lots of stuff outside, etc. I have an irrational fear of things crawling on me in sleep and am not a fan of these creepy lizards. They are fast as hell, crawl straight up the walls, and when they go behind a couch or something they are gone resulting in a hot night under the sheets. We had one crawl up into the freezer ice dispenser and freeze IN THE ICE. What makes it worse is we found it God knows how much later when we pulled the big ice storage bin and poured it into a 5 gallon Gatorade cooler. I almost passed out.

If that makes me a big *****, well then I guess I am.
dubi
AG
We would try and rescue them and put them outside, but the quick ones co-existed peacefully in the house with us.
ursusguy
AG
No worries, most of the OB seems to have an irrational fear to even non-venomous snakes.
AUAg92
AG
quote:
They're invasive but they don't seem to be displacing anything. I don't see what the problem is...

My girlfriend read they are from Chile & Guatemala & are slowly displacing the anoles. I much prefer the anoles, just sayin.
ursusguy
AG
The species in question is the Mediterranean gecko.
SanAntoneAg
AG
And Med geckos are nocturnal. Anoles are not.

So the two lizard species may be eating night bugs and day bugs, respectively.
La Fours
AG
Nope.
oneeyedag
Dozens of these little guys.

crag
AG
quote:
These nocturnal creatures are commonly seen near porch lights at night where they wait for insects to eat such as moths, cockroaches and other insects

sounds like they do some good
Sean98
AG
quote:
I'll say it. I'm a big tough guy, do lots of stuff outside, etc. I have an irrational fear of things crawling on me in sleep and am not a fan of these creepy lizards. They are fast as hell, crawl straight up the walls, and when they go behind a couch or something they are gone resulting in a hot night under the sheets. We had one crawl up into the freezer ice dispenser and freeze IN THE ICE. What makes it worse is we found it God knows how much later when we pulled the big ice storage bin and poured it into a 5 gallon Gatorade cooler. I almost passed out.

If that makes me a big *****, well then I guess I am.
It does, and you are.
B-1 83
AG
Geckos are also cannibalistic. Many a night in Uvalde Teacher Wife would yell at me when she was cleaning the kitchen to see a big gecko in the screen with a smaller one's tail hanging out its mouth....
oneeyedag
We have quite a few five lined skinks as well as coal and broadheads around the house and very few if any spiders which they feed on among other small bugs.

Also have lots of small yard frogs since we live near a creek which in turn makes good meals for various snakes.

Country life is awesome.
Martin Cash
AG
quote:
quote:
These nocturnal creatures are commonly seen near porch lights at night where they wait for insects to eat such as moths, cockroaches and other insects

And they could save you up to 15% or more on car insurance.
76Ag
AG
The animal in that child's hand looks like a skink to me.
Oogway
quote:

I just assumed they eat bugs, and eating bugs is a good thing. Especially since we are in the middle of the second coming of Noah's flood and the mosquitos will soon look like Roman legions conguering the known world.

This X eleventy billion.
I wish when the Kyle bats were displaced that there were more homes made for them to relocate (besides the Rec center). Bats eat a lot of bugs.
Buck O Five
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

And they could save you up to 15% or more on car insurance.
That was MY bad joke!
agsalaska
AG
I have this little window in my shower about head high that a gecko was hanging out at all year. I would turn the light on to take a shower and the bugs would be attracted to the light. As soon as that happened here came the lizard to feast. He had it figured out.

We had a bumper crop of them in 2012 and 2013, then maybe a tenth of them last year. This year they are looking better already. Not sure what the cause was.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.