Outdoors
Sponsored by

BBQ Pit Referral

20,168 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Thriller
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
You're pretty well describing a lyfe time made in Uvalde, though I don't think they come with 4 wheels.

lyfetyme
Lyfetyme makes good stuff.
Mine has to be 20 years old now.
BrazosDog02
AG
CATFISH.....

Tell me about the Johnson Smoker....do you have the "Ultimate Patio"? How is it with wood consumption? Im kind of lightly reading and reasearching and Im reading that RF Smokers like this consume more fuel than ..... I guess regular offsets. Is that true on that unit? It doesnt really matter, I have an endless supply of pecan, but im still curious.
The Catfish
AG
quote:
CATFISH.....

Tell me about the Johnson Smoker....do you have the "Ultimate Patio"? How is it with wood consumption? Im kind of lightly reading and reasearching and Im reading that RF Smokers like this consume more fuel than ..... I guess regular offsets. Is that true on that unit? It doesnt really matter, I have an endless supply of pecan, but im still curious.
quote:
Catfish

What model johnson smoker do you have? I've been looking really hard at them. Pretty much decided on them as the maker, but I'm having trouble deciding which model.

Sorry I didn't respond to the earlier question, I never checked back on this thread. I have the 24" T-Pit, so it isn't the traditional looking reverse flow pit. It is (kind of) this guys design and in my opinion a pretty good one.

Basically the big difference is it has the firebox on the bottom/underneath cooking chamber rather than offset to the side. There are 2 metal plates that join in the middle that send the smoke to the sides and then out the stacks. This helps have a much more consistent temperature throughout the pit and avoids hot spots you get in offsets. It also makes it more efficient than most traditional reverse flows...so its kind of best of both.

This is still a stick burner. You aren't buying a glorified oven like a Pitmaker or other vault style pits. However, it is pretty dang efficient given that its on the larger side of backyard pits. Once I get that thing to temperature it sticks pretty well and takes about a log an hour.

I got to see alot of his pits when I went to pick mine up over 2 years ago and he does really good work. The welds are done great and it holds heat and smoke great. Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to post some pics of my pit soon.

Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
quote:
Cool. Thanks justified. I was wondering if the one on the Pedestal was heavy enough to withstand a lot of wind. It will be in the elements also but will also have a cover on it.
My grandfather had two of the camper grills from br. We carried one to chilifest a few years ago. They are heavy and have a solid stance. I'm considering buying one of the smokers for myself soon, as well.
BrazosDog02
AG
Thanks Catfish. Good info. Somewhere I read online that the RF Smokers consume more fuel, and I was trying to figure out why....or if it was just not true. I certainly like the idea and he has some nice ones. I have dug through a few sites with pits and not everyone uses 1/4" steel...a lot of them are 3/16, not sure if or how that matters.
JRizzle
AG
Little outside budget but I love my new smoker

Ted Logan
AG
+1 more for Lyfetyme. I bought mine from a trailer place off 35 around Schertz. I have a single lid. Originally thought I would want two lids but I'm glad I have a single large lid. if you have a large brisket and maybe a chicken or couple racks of ribs going, a single lid would make it easier to rotate items around. I'm very happy with mine.
Two Gun Corcoran
AG
What do the Lyfe Tyme's cost?
Dunbar
AG
quote:
I'm looking for a BBQ pit. I've shopped around in around SA. I Can't find one that I'm totally happy with I would like to find a smaller business to give my $$$. I really don't want to spend more than $1200 out the door. I will go out of town to get a good deal. CS area will work out fine. Here's what I'm looking for.

20" X 40" minimal grill space (SINGLE LID ONLY)
20' X 20" firebox with a grilling grate inside
Expanded metal shelf for wood on bottom
Slide out grill(s) (main cooking area)
Prefer 4 wheels (will consider two)
Thermometer or drilled for thermometer

TIA!!!!!
Bad Habit BBQ Pits just on the east side of SA off Sulpher Springs Road. I love mine. Have had it for 6 years. Buddy kept it for me when I lived in an apartment and bought one himself when I moved and took it with me. Its right around your price point, or should be last time I checked.
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
I got this price list a few weeks ago:

LYFE TYME PRODUCTS - Price List Nov-11
8 16" x 26" Camper Grill $466
9 16" Single Lid Grill $547
10 16" x 32" Single Lid Grill w/Firebox $729
11 16" x 40" Single Lid Grill w/Firebox $797
13 16" Single Lid Smoker w/Firebox $1,141
53 16" x 18" Table Top Grill $338
15 20" x 28" Camper Grill $533
16 20" Single Lid Grill $648
17 20" x 32" Single Lid Grill w/Firebox $925
18 20" x 40" Single Lid Grill w/Firebox $1,033
19 20" Double Lid Grill w/Firebox $1,127
20 20" Single Lid Smoker w/Firebox $1,465
21 20" Double Lid Smoker w/Firebox $1,586
22 20" Portable Double Lid Grill w/Firebox $2,835
23 20" Portable Double Lid Smoker w/Firebox $3,105
24 24" Double Lid Grill w/Firebox on Skids $1,883
25 24" Triple Lid Smoker w/Firebox on Skids $2,889
26 24" Portable Double Lid Grill w/Firebox $3,551
27 24" Portable Triple Lid Smoker w/Firebox $4,388
28 Shish-ka-bob Rack with 8 Skewers $60
29 Steak Turners $45
30 Temperature Gauge $40
34 Cutting Board $55
Two Gun Corcoran
AG
Thanks, you are indeed the world's foremost ag...
jakeaggie84
AG
Gatorpit.net in houston
agcrock2005
AG
wrong thread. sorry
agcrock2005
MattsBBQPits
ADVERTISING REMOVED - STAFF Contact Logan for Advertising Rates.
Justified
Sorry for the late response. I just seen this. I bought the 20" from brpitts (he's an ag!) I've cooked a few briskets on it, but I've cut my wood short and keep my fire opposite to meat. It is stout, eight years later and still holding up. I added expanded metal to the bottom to lift my coals up.
They may not look like much, but you can make it work to fool the soccer moms
Justified
Also, there is a guy on FB, he's located in Abilene and will build to your specifications. If I didn't have two already, his would be the next. His name is Tim Schoen. Also builds greengo feeders.
Tursiops93
AG
Pooh Ah said:

Lyfe Tyme from Jeff's Backyard in SA doing some work today. Notice the wire handles instead of wood.

This pit is about 10 yrs old.
I have this exact pit! LOVE IT!
Canyon99
JRizzle said:

Little outside budget but I love my new smoker

Insulated smokers are so damn nice. Don't miss stick burners one damn bit.
Thriller
AG
Canyon99 said:

JRizzle said:

ULittle outside budget but I love my new smoker

Insulated smokers are so damn nice. Don't miss stick burners one damn bit.
Agreed!!! My new Humphrey's insulated pit should be finished and shipping any day now.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.