Outdoors
Sponsored by

BBQ Pit Referral

20,138 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Thriller
retzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for a BBQ pit. I've shopped around in around SA. I Can't find one that I'm totally happy with I would like to find a smaller business to give my $$$. I really don't want to spend more than $1200 out the door. I will go out of town to get a good deal. CS area will work out fine. Here's what I'm looking for.

20" X 40" minimal grill space (SINGLE LID ONLY)
20' X 20" firebox with a grilling grate inside
Expanded metal shelf for wood on bottom
Slide out grill(s) (main cooking area)
Prefer 4 wheels (will consider two)
Thermometer or drilled for thermometer

TIA!!!!!
WestTexAG
AG
You're pretty well describing a lyfe time made in Uvalde, though I don't think they come with 4 wheels.

lyfetyme
Farmer Jack
I would suggest finding a high school ag shop and have them make exactly what you want. Probably get more pit this way, because they aren't depending on labor charges to make money.
eightlbbass
AG
I bought a pit from this guy last year. He builds them at his house which is on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere outside of Pipe Creek.

Matt's BBQ Pit, LLC
Bigfoot In Aggieland
AG
I bought a smoker at the Farm Patch in Bryan in 1997. I still use it multiple times a week. The firebox has a lifetime warranty. Since it has lasted 18 years and had zero problems, I wont ask him to replace the firebox if I ever burn it out.
87IE
AG
quote:
I bought a pit from this guy last year. He builds them at his house which is on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere outside of Pipe Creek.

Matt's BBQ Pit, LLC
Those look like a good deal...
Justified
Bought mine this guy. www.brpits.com same pits they sell at farm patch in Bryan
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
quote:
You're pretty well describing a lyfe time made in Uvalde, though I don't think they come with 4 wheels.

lyfetyme
Lyfetyme makes good stuff.
JYDog90
AG
I'm sure there's a simple answer for this and I just don't know it, but why would you put skids on a pit? (in before "you're tailgating at a ski resort")
Justified
Sorry forgot to mention in previous post, their located in San Antonio
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
quote:
I'm sure there's a simple answer for this and I just don't know it, but why would you put skids on a pit? (in before "you're tailgating at a ski resort")
My guess would be that maybe some folks prefer to skid their pit around rather than roll it. The owner of LyfeTyme is kind enough to donate a small pit for an annual fundraiser that we have. The next time I talk to her I'll try to remember and ask because I'd like to know as well.
TulaneAg
I bought a Lyfetyme and have been very happy with it. Mostly what you described except I have a two door, no slide our grates, and they only have 2 wheels. They make a single door, but I wanted smaller lighter doors. Paid about $1000 for it 3 years ago.
Pooh Ah
AG
Go to Jeff's Backyard Barbecue and Grill on Nakoma.

Good small business. I bought my Lyfe Tyme pit there as well as my Weber Genesis
WestTexAG
AG
quote:

It's easier to move around and level in random places around the yard, and much easier to strap down on a trailer if you want to use it as trailer pit and backyard pit.
The Fall Guy
AG
What is the price range for the Matts BBQ pits?
The Fall Guy
AG
Nevermind. In small print
coppag92
AG
This guy, Dave Klose, is in Houston and will build you whatever you need from two wheels to giant mobile rigs. He does have some pre-built backyard units for sale. Sure you can ask him to do slight mod to it to suit your exact taste. Think your budget might fit. His units too are built out of much heavier metal than others. See link below and in middle of page, you can see links for backyard grills, backyard smokers, mobile rigs etc. This guy builds pits for guys on the bbq cooking circuit too.

http://www.bbqpits.com/
The Fall Guy
AG
Justified,

Did you get a smoker or just a grill.

The 20" grill looks stout. Can't smoke where I live. House too close together.
Prune Tracy
Justified
Fall guy, I bought the 20" camper I believe? It sits on I pedestal, I'll rotate it to catch wind. I've cooked briskets, ribs and everything else. Usually cut my wood chucks into small 6-8" pieces then place meat by stack and small fire by the door. Works great and good quality for the price. Bought it in 08 and no problems since. Not extreme heavy but Can easily be transported with two people.
The Fall Guy
AG
Cool. Thanks justified. I was wondering if the one on the Pedestal was heavy enough to withstand a lot of wind. It will be in the elements also but will also have a cover on it.
Pooh Ah
AG
Lyfe Tyme from Jeff's Backyard in SA doing some work today. Notice the wire handles instead of wood.

This pit is about 10 yrs old.
The Catfish
AG
Reverse flow from Johnson Smokers. I have one and it's awesome.
Justified
It's definatly worth the money. Mine stays outside and after all these years it has held up. The only thing I've done was put expanded metal on the bottom to keep the fire off the bottom.
The Fall Guy
AG
Yea my old oil barrel pit I put limestone rock at the bottom and worked great
ilikeit
I have a Lyfe Time but if I was buying a new pit I would have
to look at the All Seasons. They are made in SA
saltyoldguy
AG
quote:
Lyfe Tyme from Jeff's Backyard in SA doing some work today. Notice the wire handles instead of wood.

Tell me more about the handles please..mine is about 12 years old and I need to replace the wood
Pooh Ah
AG
It came this way, Jeff's Backyard feature. Lyfe Tyme may be able to supply them.

They never get hot and never weather, great feature.
saltyoldguy
AG
Thanks. I'm going to retrofit mine with those. Much better than the wood IMO.
SA-AG72
AG
quote:

I bought the same pit (smoker)from Jeff's Backyard and am very happy with it.
Frosty
Take a look at Helotes Pits. They're a little more than what you are wanting to spend, but probably still worth checking out. They'll also custom fabricate a logo for your lid if you want.

http://helotespits.com/products/bbqsmoker-pits-trailer-pits/
RCR06
AG
Catfish

What model johnson smoker do you have? I've been looking really hard at them. Pretty much decided on them as the maker, but I'm having trouble deciding which model.
DTrain
AG
Lucked into a Big Hat smoker on Craigslist last fall so that was my Christmas present.

Been extremely happy with it. Well, except for moving it....

Big Hat Smokers
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
quote:

Matt's BBQ Pit, LLC
Those look like a good deal...
Too good of a deal? What do you think about your pit? Does it leak much smoke? Welds good? Quality? Thanks.
Allen76
AG
I have the Lyfetime single lid smoker. It has two wheels. It is fairly heavy to move around. I am okay with it but would not want my wife to move it around.

I am posting because OP is considering pit without smoker shelves. I have had my Lyfetime since about 1990 and have really become accustomed to being able to use the smoker side for smoking, warming, or just storage while other stuff is cooking. I would hate going back to a pit with no smoker stack.

The smoker price is higher, but it becomes well worth it as the years fly by.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.