Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pickup truck security question

9,508 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 230Ag
rhtexfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the best way to secure your toys when hunting at the lease/ranch/etc and traveling to and from in a pickup truck?

I've seen underseat storage, tool boxes etc.

Does the OB have any good advice? I've got an SUV and was looking at moving to a truck but have concerns about secure space.
96ags
AG
I have a locking bed cover that I really like.

Also the back seat usually provides quite a bit of locked storage.

Nothing is completely theft proof and the best bet is to get from point A to point B with as few of stops as possible.
Mr. Dubi
#1 downside to a puckup is storage. I have a crew cab with no underseat storage in the rear, so we just fold the seat flat and throw a blanket across the goodies. If you don't need a truck, keep the SUV is what I'd do.
The Wonderer
AG
I have a locking fiberglass bed cap and BedRug. It's basically a big ass trunk with locks on both the cap and the tailgate. Not 100% theft proof, but nothing is. If at a restaurant, be sure to back in with the truck window facing the window and sit where you can see your truck. If at a hotel or whatnot, take your stuff inside.
plowboy1065
S
I don't stop until I get to the lease
hurricanejake02
AG
Best advice is to keep your truck from looking like you're heading to the lease... which can be hard to do if you've got a dog and 4-wheeler hooked up to it.

Frankly, someone can bust the window of your SUV quicker than they can pry a hard bed cover, and they're likely to have a better idea what they're going in for, if anything is visible through the window.
TRIDENT
AG
I've had one of these installed on my truck for 5+ years, along with a BedRug. Works great, will always have them on my trucks going forward. Keeps my rods/reels/tackle bags/guns/icechests, etc. locked up and out of sight.

www.retrax.com
JD05AG
AG
^^^
How water tight is that?
Tim Taylor
Id agree that a solid bed cover is your best bet. It's very tempting for people to take what is visible or to find out what's under that blanket in the back seat. If they can't see it they're going to be less likely to try to get into it
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
http://www.du-ha.com/

Greatest
Thing
Ever

They make under seat storage for trucks and have a little lock that you can place on the hinge to keep people out. It is absolutely amazing. Trust me on this
96ags
AG
quote:
^^^
How water tight is that?

I can't speak for that one he posted, but I have a Peragon which looks similar and I can say that they do a good job. Not completely water tight if it is sitting still, but going down the road I have no hesitation putting clothes bags in the bed.
ursusguy
AG
Ever heard of a Ridgeline getting broken into?
EMY92
AG
quote:
Finding a Ridgeline to break into is like actually seeing a mountain lion in Texas, it might happen, but it's rare.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:

no, but that is because nobody would ever think a real hunter would own a Ridgeline.
ursusguy
AG
Works surprisingly well for the purpose.
Ogre09
AG
I like my fold-a-cover
ghollow
AG
There is only so much that you can do. Stay fully insured. Keep valuable stuff out of sight. Make your stops in rural towns and leave someone with the vehicle if you can. Big
Dog in truck helps too
ursusguy
AG
A couple forgotten roadkill skunks pretty well keeps snoopers at bay.
SouthparkKenny
2006 HD 2500 Escalade 4x4 does the trick

Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
when im going fishing and have stuff that is not secure, i either leave my wife or a buddy in my truck, and we take turns going in places. If Im going to be solo then I will use a security cable with a lock to lock up my stuff. Not the best solution, but if im running in somewhere to get ice or use the head then it should be enough for 3 minutes.
TRIDENT
AG
Retrax with tailgate gasket is not waterproof in a heavy downpour, but as said above, it keeps everything plenty dry going down the road even in bad conditions just a bit damp sometimes. It's best to park under a roof if you have to stop in bad conditions. I like being able to leave duck decoys, boat batteries, ice chests, tackle bag, toolbox, etc. in there at motels. I always bring the guns/rods/cameras/electronics/backpacks inside the room, or camper.
313-7-12thMan
I usually store everything in Pelican cases and then cable lock them into the bed.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Anybody ever use one of these? Truck Vault

They look pretty badass but definitely spendy.

el aggie
AG
quote:
2006 HD 2500 Escalade 4x4 does the trick

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/374-frankenstein/345041-lbz-escalade-esv-2500hd-3.html

Not his escalade either . . .
ursusguy
agswin2001
txjortsagent
230Ag
AG
this guy...
Tom Doniphon
Wow
eric76
AG
quote:
What is the best way to secure your toys when hunting at the lease/ranch/etc and traveling to and from in a pickup truck?

Around here, we generally don't even take the keys out. I guess if someone was worried, they could lock the doors, but it seems rather pointless.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Why the hell did he even post that?? He didn't even pretend to have a badass hiding location in it
eric76
AG
In my old International C-900 pickup, there was enough room beside the engine on the driver's side, that someone could have hidden in there.

Here's a picture of a C-900 engine:

What isn't obvious is that it's a Slant 4 and the other side is pretty empty. I always figured that if I ever needed the room, I could easily store a duffel bag or two there.
coppag92
AG
Yup, TexAgs got Barneboozled.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
Anybody ever use one of these? Truck Vault

They look pretty badass but definitely spendy.

I was going to mention those. When I bought my F150 last year the sales manager showed that to me. Very very cool. I love the idea of lockable gear storage with a very high weight capacity cargo deck!
230Ag
AG
quote:
Why the hell did he even post that?? He didn't even pretend to have a badass hiding location in it
he's a compulsive liar - guy lies when it isn't even necessary. it's really quite sad...or humorous maybe.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.