Outdoors
Sponsored by

The Alamo

24,474 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by 1990Hullaballoo
SouthparkKenny
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Huffines "Blood of Noble Men"
Cen-Tex
AG
Dr. Stephen Hardin - Texian Iliad
Tex Aggie
AG
If fannin would have gotten there or of they would have had a larger amount of men to begin with, they would have possibly set up in one of the other missions along the San Antonio river
Josepi
AG
Would one of the other missions been large enough to hold 800+ troops? The Alamo back in the day was a really large compound which is one of the reasons is was so hard to defend
gumby579
AG
quote:
Dr. Stephen Hardin - Texian Iliad
This. A thousand times this.
Tex Aggie
AG
That was one of the reasons they went to the Alamo from my understanding. The other missions in San Antonio were too large to defend with the number they had
SWCBonfire
AG
Cos had already fortified the alamo somewhat and it was already a military installation at that time.

ETA Texian Iliad is a given and should be required reading in Texas schools.
PMD03
AG
quote:
Can't let this thread die yet
Agreed!
MGS
Well, it has lasted longer than 13 days...
BCO07
AG
this thread is now so much better
powderlyag
AG
Anyone ever read where Bonham was when he died. I'm a nephew (my Mom was a Bonham)
GarryowenAg
AG
MFBarnes is such a BIOTCH. HAHAHA LOSER!
tx4guns
AG
MFBarnes faked the figurine pics, too. No telling where he got those pics.
Cen-Tex
AG
quote:
Anyone ever read where Bonham was when he died. I'm a nephew (my Mom was a Bonham)

http://bowieknifefightsfighters.blogspot.com/2013/03/senora-candelarias-account-of-death-of.html
Madam Candelaria
Chazz03
AG
Here is the true source of the Alamo Diorama and all text that was used

Alamo
CDub06
AG
Shocking
pilgrim82
AG
That is one fat weiner dog Senora Candelaria is holding! (didn't accept the accented "n")
Josepi
AG
quote:
quote:

http://bowieknifefightsfighters.blogspot.com/2013/03/senora-candelarias-account-of-death-of.html
Madam Candelaria
Interesting read. A few points contradict what is commonly believed today which is interesting. She says that after the fighting five men were found hiding and were executed. I didn't know that.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
quote:

In his defense, he did give credit to the photographer and diarama on page two. Though he did go on to bulls*** the dilley tap and grandpa story just a few posts later.
tx4guns
AG
The faked tombstone...
Chazz03
AG
quote:
quote:

In his defense, he did give credit to the photographer and diarama on page two. Though he did go on to bulls*** the dilley tap and grandpa story just a few posts later.

That was a lie too. I posted a link above for where the pics came from. Somebody in UK made it. That name he threw out is just some dude he went to school with
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Wow. After fifty something pages of uncovering a web of bulls***, i am still amazed by this guy.
Chazz03
AG
The pictures are cool though.
insulator_king
AG
That is a great Diorama.

Glad this one thread is not locked.
BurnetAggie99

Looks pretty good
91AggieLawyer
AG
mfbarnes82 said:

My family settled in what is now Brazos county in 1833, my great great Grandfather Samuel B. "Grandsir" Barnes, and his nine sons and their families came out by wagon from Iredell County N.C. They were sharecroppers that came out west to get some free land of their own, instead of working for a small share of the crop and not owning the land in which they lived on.

They settled out on what is now known as DIlly Shaw Tap Rd on the edge of where the town of Kurten now is. Boonville was the main borough on the Austin Colonies, what is now what we know as BCS. Each Soon received a section of land via Spanish Land Grant for pledging their allegiance to the Republic Militia. Those nine section still makeup the Dairy out on Dilly Shaw Tap Rd that is still in family operation today. My great Grandfather Frederick Whitfield Barnes and his 8 brothers fought in numerous skirmishes. My Great grandfather was wounded in the skirmish on the Sabine, when they were defending the port area at the mouth. Supplies were brought in at the mouth of the Sabine and Buffalo Bayou often and had to be protected. His life was saved from his wound, due to a farrier hammer he carried in his ruck, because he was a blacksmith. The lead ball left the impression of the hammer head in his back, and was still there when he died years later, from old age, he was reportedly 118.

This has probably already been debunked, but in case it hasn't, here goes:

According to findagrave.com, Frederick Whitfield Barnes (who indeed was born in North Carolina) had a father, a brother, and a son named Samuel Barnes. However, the middle name didn't start with a "B." They were all "Samuel Moseley Barnes." And there's no way the elder Samuel Barnes came to Brazos county by wagon with his nine sons in 1833 since he wasn't born until 1831! Obviously, there could be another Samuel Barnes, but one that named their kid Frederick Whitfield Barnes? And was born in NC?

Also, only 5 sons of the elder Barnes are listed on findagrave. Are there possibly 4 more? Perhaps. I wouldn't decisively rule them out, but it is strange. But what is this Republic Militia business? Republic of Texas? Frederick Barnes was born (in NC) in 1857, and he is the eldest of the 5 listed siblings, ALL of whom findagrave reports as having been born in NC. Texas became a state in 1845 and then was readmitted to the Union some time in the 1867 time frame (I'm not going to look that up right now), so Freddo had nothing to do with any Republic of Texas anything. The closest any of these people got to 118 was roughly 35-40-ish years. Frederick W. Barnes was barely half of 118 when he died (~68).

Frederick and his brothers, by the way, were all buried in the same cemetery in Kaufman. A ways from B/CS. And their grave markers have actual dates on them. Kinda hard to dispute.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/10938333/frederick-whitfield-barnes
1990Hullaballoo
AG
Holy Thread Bump Batman!

Seems MFBarnes' legacy continues on!

I hope TexAgs has a memorial display of the history and outcomes of his threads on the walls of their headquarters.

He has to be the longest ongoing thread (and probably the most entries) on the entire site.

A true testament to "We know Stuff" and don't try to feed us any bull . . . we will root out any untruths!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.