Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ok, yes, I am a flashlight nut :)

30,721 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MisterShipWreck
Hoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really can't imagine what 500 lumens looks like in the eyes. If shined in the eyes mine will leave you seeing spots even at daytime. At nighttime I imagine it's blinding...especially if strobing. 500? That's gotta hurt. My previous brightest light was my Surefire 6P and I think it was only putting out 60 lumens (or maybe 120...don't remember).
rather be fishing
AG
I got a Streamlight Stinger LED for Christmas. Where does that rank on the flashlight snob list?
MisterShipWreck
Those are nice, especially for people who like to. Stay with an american brand. There are several variants of that light, but they look to be around 180 lumens.

I do have two Streamlight TRL1s.

Streamlight and Surefire just tend to be pretty expensive and a bit behind the technology curve on the latest LEDs...
RCR06
AG
I'm trying to decide between the eagle tac p20c2 MKII and the lumapower trust 2. I'm going to be carrying it in my shirt pocket at work mostly.
MisterShipWreck
I have both. I really like the body style of the Trust 2. I rotate between the Trust 2 and the Eagletac P20Mk II at work myself.

I like the clip and tailcap a little better on the Trust 2. But, the Eagletac is a little brighter.

The Trust 2 only comes with the R5 LED last I looked. The P20C2 MK II has a few options. I upgraded my P20 from an R5 to the newest XML HO module.

Keep in mind that as new modules come out, the P20 is upgradable for about $27 per module. However, I tend to carry my Trust 2 more at work.

Outside of work, my EDC is the T20C2 MK 2 (a little bigger body style - but I wear cargo pants)
wurmhole
AG
While not the height of flashlight snobbery, I have an iTP SC2 and use it every day. I've had it for 18 months and have changed the batteries only twice. Of course, I keep it on low most of the time but it's really nice to be able to reach out and touch someone when I need to.

FWIW, I find the Titanium Innovations 123 cels to be quite serviceable for the price of $1 a piece.
Ptery83
MisterShipWreck.....Are you using an 18650 or 2 cr123s in your T20CII? Have you noticed a difference in performance b/t the two?
mustang6tee8
AG
MSW, a friend suggested the Olight M3X. Thoughts?

I'm looking for something like that to keep in the truck, as well as something more compact, under 6" to keep in my pocket.

Any ideas for a sub $100 weapon light for a pistol? Would strictly be for my nightstand gun.

Thanks
MisterShipWreck
quote:
MisterShipWreck.....Are you using an 18650 or 2 cr123s in your T20CII? Have you noticed a difference in performance b/t the two?

Sorry - I didn't notice your question.

In any light that takes 18650s, I use these.

There are performance differences between the different 123 brands. Admittedly, most are made in some of the same factories, but they are made to different specs depending on the price.

Short of buying bottom of the barrel ones, or buying a ton in bulk - I was buying 2 for $5 Surefire packs at Lowes. But, that still adds up.

It is SO, So nice to use the lights as much as you want, guilt free, and not hear the cash register sound in your head everytime you turn one on

So, I use the rechargables as much as possible.

There is also a rechargable 17670 size that fits the P20C2 MK II.

I get the Eagletac branded 18650s from Illuminationgear.com, and I also got my charger from him.
MisterShipWreck
quote:
MSW, a friend suggested the Olight M3X. Thoughts?

I'm looking for something like that to keep in the truck, as well as something more compact, under 6" to keep in my pocket.

Any ideas for a sub $100 weapon light for a pistol? Would strictly be for my nightstand gun.

Olight makes some nice lights. I almost bought their Sr90 many times.

As a whole, though, Eagletacs are my personal favorite. But, I have considered some fo their lights before.

The M3X does have a pretty good sized reflector - giving more throw and flood. You can look at lumen levels all day long - but the reflector needs to get bigger in order to make use of all the fabulous claims of output that some companies claim.

As an alternative, I would suggest these, however:

The G25C2 Eagetac that just came out - rated 770 lumens... Realize that actual out the front lumens will be 640 lumens. But, you won't be getting the full 700 lumens out of that olight either (you loose at least 20% out the reflector).

I am considering buying the G25C2 myself. You can buy the standard 2 cell model - or the extender and run two 18650s off of it for longer battery life...

Here: http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/435882.html

Another suggestion is this:

The Eagletac M3C4 series... They make a bunch of different models - depending on the lumens and price you want to spend.

I have an M2CX4 - the previous version. I REALLY like the shorter size, since it runs on 4 cells, but they sit next to each other instead of 4 stacked end to end. I also use two 18650s inside, instead of 4 123 cells.

I've had mine over a year, and it is great...

http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/27013.html

If you buy one of the M3 series, ask todd at illumination gear to install the click switch for you. It's hard to install with the tiny screws, and worth it. You turn the light on and off with the thumb switch on the back. This illiminates the slight trickle drain on the batteries you would get by using the selector ring and leaving it in the "standby" position.

Without the switch installed, it wouldn't really be turned off. With that tailcap switch on, then it works like you would expect it to. I had him install mine for me before it shipped. He installed it for free.

[This message has been edited by MisterShipWreck (edited 1/15/2012 2:15p).]
Campfire Soul
What do you guys say about this?

It seems a little too good to be true. 220 lumens for 20 bucks at the hardware store around the corner.

http://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=83
CT'97
AG
tag
Campfire Soul
Candlepowerforums seems to not like it. So my instincts were correct.
BoyNamedSue
Pulled the trigger on a 511 Tactical ATAC A2 this last weekend. Wanted a slim flashlight that was durable, had higher output, and ran on alkaline batteries (my others are chewing up Lithium batteries like Tik-Taks).

So far it's functioned perfectly and in a dark house it's like a little spotlight!
artifact_collector101010

Seriously? No Elzetta fans? Only the toughest flashlight ever made! lol

[This message has been edited by artifact_collector101010 (edited 3/9/2012 11:09p).]
Fleff
AG
MSW:

i know you have both but which one do you recommend?
http://www.amazon.com/Eagletac-P20C2-Mkii-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B005OKZ7MW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1333985424&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/EagleTac-T20C2-XM-L-T6-Flashlight/dp/B005ADWSW0/ref=sr_1_2?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1333985424&sr=1-2

Looks like you carry one at work and the other outside of work.

i am not going to carry it every day but would like a good flashlight for keep around the house and to carry around the property.
GSS
Recent acquisition that has been very impressive--Streamlight Stylus Pro
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133
Easily fits in the shirt pocket, and also comes with a belt pouch. About the size of a big ballpoint pen.
Campfire Soul
I have a somewhat dumb question.

I am looking at one of these flashlights to give as gifts.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product.php?sname=&s=7&t=FB

I know sometimes these things come without the bulb/element thing. Are all of these 100% complete? I don't understand the lingo that well.

[This message has been edited by IsleAg11 (edited 9/21/2012 10:54a).]
BunkerHill
I have ordered 4 flashlights from solarforce based on mrshipwrecks recomendation. They are great lights at a great price. They are shipped from Hong Kong and take about 2 weeks to arrive via USPS.

The lights that you linked are the body only. You have to buy the bulb seaprate. You can click on replacement bulbs and use the drop down to pick the bulb that you want.

If you click on "LED flashlight" the lights listed come with a bulb. You can use the drop down at the top of the page to pick the type of bulb you want. I have been getting the XM-L. The 3 mode is high/medium/low brightness. The 5 mode is the same but it adds 2 flashing modes.

They also have pretty good prices on the CR123 batteries.
Campfire Soul
http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=45&id=501

820 lumens in a small light for 30 bucks? Is that right? I'm not way into flashlights or anything but that almost seems too good to be true.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Any recs on a headlamp? Need one for putting out duck decoys in the dark, so would like for it to be at least water-resistant.
BunkerHill
Isle, yes the 820 XM-L are bright. I have paid $100 for a comparable surefire.
OldSaltAg
I've purchased a few flashlights off of dealextreme.com that come from China. I'm not too proud of that but you can't beat the prices for some of those lights. Through the last few years I've come to realize that I don't know **** about flashlights and each one I've ordered hasn't quite been what I wanted. All I can remember about the lights I have tried is they all take 18650 batteries and I like them to only take one of them to give me longer life.

Could y'all suggest a budget type flashlight that runs on 18650's that has more "throw" and "spot" than a "flood"? I really like using these lights driving around the ranch lighting up the tanks and feeders search out pigs. May even mount on my AR with a pressure switch if I can find the right one.
artifact_collector101010
You still don't have an Elzetta!!! For shame!
Join A3G and you can try ours out on some night shoots
Ptery83
What's your price range Oldsalt? Do you care if it is a 1 vs 2 18650 light? What distance are you looking to reach?
OldSaltAg
I say "on a budget" because I tend to lose things or I forget where the hell I put them. If I could keep something below 100$ (50$ would be ideal) I'm sure that I could get something pretty nice. I think I paid about 16$ for that surefire China light from Deal Extreme and it is pretty bright for how small it is. I've got a set of 4 batteries, the 18650's so whether it takes one or two, I guess it doesn't matter as long as the size is kept pretty reasonable. As for distance, I'm not sure it's even possible, but I'm really looking for a light that can light up the tanks and fields like a spot light can, out to about 100-150 yards with a good spot still. My truck gun is a lever action .44 mag and those iron sights are hard to see if the light isn't bright enough.
gsp_hunt
Browning Hunt Master. 330 Lumens. $99.00

MisterShipWreck
I think the Jetbeam BC40 is the best buy right now - at $70. It puts out 830 lumens. Actual out the front lumens (do not be fooled by the outrageous lumen numbers that most brands put outr - if it isn't ANSI rated, then the number is more than likely a lie). And, the reflector on the BC40 is larger, so it has some really good throw and flood.

I have several eagletacs with the XM-L LED module, as well as Solarforce lights. They are great - the LED module is rated at 800 or so lumens on the Solarforces. But, actual out the front lumens is probably close to 600 or so.

But, with the smaller reflector, they won't have the flood and throw of the BC40.

I just sold my Fenix TK70 (2200 out the front lumens) because I just never used it. It was so big and heavy, and basically just sat on the shelf - even though it truely was awesome. The Jetbeam BC40 is more than bright enough, and is what I use every night.

I decided to just sell the Fenix and get some money for it to buy something else I wanted. The Jetbeam does everything I want it to.

For pocket carry, the Eagletac P20C2 Mk II (around $70) and T20C2 MK II (around $90) models are my favorite. For budget results, go with a Solarforce. Just my 2 cents...

Visit: Texas Gun Forum!!!! http://texasgunforum.com/index.php

[This message has been edited by MisterShipWreck (edited 10/2/2012 2:26p).]
OldSaltAg
wow, that JetBeam is pretty impressive, I think I'll give it a try!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
just pulled the trigger on a JETBeam
MisterShipWreck
It really is a nice light. I use two 1860s in mine (which are rechargeable - I already had some extras on hand when I bought the light). But, the light will also use four primary 123s.

I actually got my Jetbeam for free using amazon credit card points, months back. But, it is definitely worth the $.
shalackin
AG
any updates to this thread? back in the market for some new light ideas.
MisterShipWreck
I still have that Jetbeam - I use it a lot. SOld a Fenix TK70 as it was just too big and TOO bright at close distances at night.

My fav light right now is the Eagletac P20C2 Mk II with the newest LED insert.

I like that some of the Eagletacs work like Lego. As a newer one comes out - instead of buying an entirely new light - you can just buy the lED module.

Anyway - with the newest Module, I find it brighter than the slightly bigger T20 model. All I use now is that Eagletac P20 - its with me all the time. It's even a little smaller than many of the tactical lights too.

Visit: Texas Gun Forum!!!! http://texasgunforum.com
MisterShipWreck
Oh - Solarforce lights also cost a little more than they did back when this thread first started. I had a few parts and put one together by ordering the rest. Not as cheap as it was.

Finally - I got one of these a week ago. Less than $7 shipped from China - but you must use a rechargeable 18650 battery, however. It is damn nice for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CE1EFCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep it in my car

Visit: Texas Gun Forum!!!! http://texasgunforum.com
AgsMnn
AG
Where and how much are these batteries?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.