Outdoors
Sponsored by

4x8 Deer Stand Project (Picture Heavy)

69,236 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AGGIE WH08P
AgEng08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Oh heeeeeyyyy
Just saw this tonight. Been thinking about building another one. The one I built in this thread is going on 8.5 years. Starting to show some signs of aging.

My next one will be all metal and barn siding and glass windows.

I'll see if I can find the pdf file to email ya
AgEng08
AG
Awesome!
AGGIE WH08P
AG
email sent. let me know if it doesn't show up!
Give me call if you need to walk through it or email with any questions

--

In case anyone else cared for this info.....

The plans above are actually for a 4x4 blind. For a 4x4 blind, you make two parallel sides with the 2x2 framing flush with the plywood. Then, on the other two parallel sides, you make them offset 2' (well, 1.5" is the true measurement of a 2"x2" board I believe). Also, if I were to build another one, I would offset the 2x2s a little more then just 1.5" probably 1.75". The thickness of the adjoining 2x2 (1.5") and the thickness of the plywood (I think 0.25" or so). That way, your corners or more "flush" when the two walls are bolted together. When you buy bolts to bolt all 4 corners, buy a "eye bolt" for the bottom or middle bolt. That way you can have a place to connect guy wire. I use 3 bolts in each corner (2 regular and 1 eye bolt) Use carriage bolts so you don't have a hard time tightening them with two hands. Then use lag bolts on the bottom to connect the panels to the base.

When building the larger 4x8, you will have two 4' sheets of plywood in the front and back. In the middle, where they touch/connect, I would use a 2x4 rather then a 2x2 on each panel. Mine has 2x2's and I had to caulk the gap between the two boards. I could see sunlight peaking through, so I knew that meant water could come in as well. If you had a 2x4 in the middle, you could permanently attach it to one panel and use wood glue to secure it in place with screws. Then, when you setup the blind, just connect the other panel with screws (no glue). I'd do this for the front and back walls.

Now, after saying all that, I would definitely say that I got my $$ out of it. Probably spent $700-800 on it back in 2010. I applied a fresh coat of paint about 4 years ago. One window is starting to rot out where the hinges mount, but the other 3 windows work great! I could probably get another 3-5 years or so out of it with some minor work to it. However, my plan is to build a metal framed blind and wrap it in barn metal siding. That R panel stuff, but buy it before it is formed. I will also but a metal "shop door" and go the extra mile and buy the nicer Deer View glass hunting windows. It will probably cost me $1000-1500, but it should last me a verrrryyy long time!
AgEng08
AG
seriously thanks, man!!!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Plans available for this?

can I get an email?
6.5 Swede
OCTAGON BLIND

I've hunting in 4x4, 4x6, 4x8 and 5x5's. 4 foot width is difficult for an adult male sitting in a chair to not kick the walls or bump the sides with your chair. By far the best I have used is a 6 foot Octagon and what we are building. EASILY fit and spread out with 2 adults and kids sleeping on floor as it's 6.5' across in each direction. 8 windows to open or close based on weather or time of day. I hunt out of a side window looking at my feeder but face an opposite window while using a shooting stick down a 300 yd clear cut that I corn.

The free plans are simple and everything fit the first time. The roof is slightly sloped for drainage. I didn't use metal due to the unnatural rain and heat creaking sounds. We assembled it on site. The only drawback is you have to use a table saw to rip the 2x4's to the proper angle for the walls.

Here are the plans.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Howdy!
Sure. Shoot me an email
john_5684 AT yah00.com

This original blind is going on 9-10 years now. It's had 2 coats of paint now. Still holding up pretty well. One window had been acting up, but besides that it's been great! I'm considering building one next season, but making it all medal. No wood.
AnScAggie
AG
I'd frame the inside out in wood rather than a square tubing frame. I have a 4x6 metal frame I'll donate to anyone that wants it and can pick it up in the Boerne area. It's on a 10" non removable stand and has a sloped roof.
Wodanaz
AG
Went looking for this earlier, so thought I'd bump it.
texag_89
35chililights said:

now you need a poop bucket.

And a pee pipe.
Zaiquiri
AG
Any chance this is still up for grabs? My brother is getting out of the Marines and I've been pricing materials to build a blind we can both hunt in this fall. Would be nice to start with a frame.
Stasco
AG
At current lumber prices, this should only cost $10,000 to build.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Sure, post your email and I'll send ya the pdf

One thing to add to the instructions when offsetting the 2x2" frame for the walls on each panel, you need to off see it 1.5" (actual width of the 2x2 I believe) PLUS another 0.25" for the thickness of the adjoining plywood wall when they meet in the corner. This gives ya a tighter seal in all the corners.
montanagriz
S
I would love these plans too if you don't mind sharing
AGGIE WH08P
AG
this is basically what I have in that PDF

pschulze
If you put a 2x6 floor with a 2' back porch you can go to Buccees and get some 4x4 mounts for the bottom of it. Get some 12' 4x4's and some more lumber for bracing then you will be elevated and see so much more country. When raising it up get as long as heavy rope or straps as possible and pull it up and drag sides up and screw them down. My last one is 6'x 8' and goes by the name of Motel 6. It is perfect for my wife daughter and I. Or my buddies son and I. We just need a place to hunt Hope this helps.
pschulze

AnScAggie
AG
Not that one but I have one or a few at the ranch if you want to come get it.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Yup, that's what we do. Makes moving it so much easier. I have some old scaffolding and I put the base on top of it. Then pulled up wall by wall. Then the roof. Then the last front panels. Squared everything up and added lag bolts from the bottom 2x2 on each panel to the base.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.