Outdoors
Sponsored by

4x8 Deer Stand Project (Picture Heavy)

69,017 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AGGIE WH08P
AGGIE WH08P
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently got a new job and had 2 weeks off until my new employer wanted me to begin. So, with my free time I decided to build a deer stand. Many of y’all have probably seen a few pictures of the 4x4 stands that I have built before and the blue prints that my dad created, but this time I decided to build one a little bit bigger for my wife and I to hunt in.

The stand is made up of 8 different sheets of plywood. Two panels for the front and back side on the 8 foot sides, one single piece on the left and right ends measuring four feet wide, and then one sheet for the roof and another one for the floor.

I framed the perimeters of each sheet of plywood with 2x2’s and the area around each window cutout is also framed with 2x2’s. The window flap is framed out with 1x2’s to keep it from warping in the future. The base of my stand is framed out with 2x4’s and 3/4” plywood. I also made sure that I put wood glue on every single piece of wood that is screwed to the plywood making it last longer and keeping it from squeaking.

I went ahead and attached pictures and a few youtube links to some short videos. I have sent a few of y’all my plans in the past and I really wanted to document this project for future deer stands that I build and to also share with my buddies.

Here is my first completed panel. I believe this is the front left side

Here is a close up of the window. Framed with 2x2’s and 1x2’s. The 2x2’s are centered on the window cutouts so the window is able to shut flush and tightly. Once I put up my stand, I will attach some small rope from the bottom of each window and feed it through the outside to a small hole that I will drill out. Then when I want to lift each window, I will just pull on the rope and quietly lift each one.

Here is another view of the front left panel. The remaining sides are almost identical to this except some have 2x2’s offset 1.5 inches or the 2x2’s are framed flush with the edge. You can also see here the bottom 2.5 inches that is below the lower 2x2. This will help with setting up the stand when I put it together in the woods. It allows me to place each panel flush with the base.

Here are two pictures of the framed out window

A little secret my dad showed me was when I cut out each window and door was to just cut out the top horizontal line (where the hinges go) and then the 2-3 inches on each vertical cut for the window. Once you have that part cut, you can just frame out the top part and install the hinges. By only cutting out a portion of the window and then installing the hinges, you don’t have to worry about having the whole window cut out and then mess with trying to line everything up properly to install your hinges.

Here is how my cut looked before I installed my hinges

Here are a few pictures of the panel with the door. I’m 6’3” so I made it tall enough so I didn’t have to worry about always hitting my head! I also went the extra mile and installed 4 hinges so it wouldn’t warp or slope down after a few years.

On the roof, I framed it out just like the other panels. On each side I offset the 2x2’s about 1.75” (1.5” for the adjoining panels 2x2 and .25” for the plywood on the same adjoining panel. The stand has a 3” drop from the back towards the front. That way, if it rains on me, I won’t have to worry about exiting or entering the stand with rain draining on me as I climb on the ladder! I also added a tin roof to make it last a lot longer. The white paint you see is the primer. I forgot to take pictures before it got painted

I painted the entire inside black and the exterior is a brownish color. I figured that since there isn’t too much “green'ery” in the winter time during deer season, brown would be a better option. Also, where I hunt doesn’t have any cedar trees or live oaks, so I didn’t want to place a big green stand in an area that doesn’t have big trees. (Yeah, I know deer are colored blind and color doesn’t really matter)
Here are all the panels with 2 coats of brown on them:

I decided to try spray painting some branches on my stand. I wanted to camouflage it somehow, but didn’t want to make it too complicated. I went ahead and lined all the panels together and made one big branch across all the panels and then I spray painted little random branch in different places. I’m pretty happy with it so far

The last few pictures are the final product. The first picture shows my stand being assembled. I have the back 2 panels bolted together, then the left, right and roof in place. All that it needs are the two front panels. I didn't care to much about the lower half of the interior since I'm going to line it with some old carpet to keep it quiet.

Completed Deer Stand:

Here are some video that I made while I built this stand:

Front Left Panel (sorry for all the “therefores”)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcfXL_8vGh4

Left Panel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avKVBMiQslc

Back Right Panel (Door)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5A7S0Bd6Cw

How I cut out the windows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIZQjT-Nd5o

[This message has been edited by AGGIE WH08P (edited 9/26/2010 8:36p).]
35chililights
AG
now you need a poop bucket.
Max06
AG
looks good. I just made one in the past couple weeks. Most of my working time was after dark, so no pics
shalackin
AG
seen em with a urinal inside, has a pipe that goes down into the ground to get the pizz below ground!
HuntingGMan
AG
Nice build. Ought to last many hunting seasons. You'll be able to sleep overnight on the floor of that one so you don't have to worry about spooking the deer in the morning.
Max06
AG
uhh GMan- I don't think it will be 'sleeping'

quote:
this time I decided to build one a little bit bigger for my wife and I to hunt in

[This message has been edited by Artemis (edited 9/26/2010 9:08p).]
AGGIE WH08P
AG
haha, not gonna lie....I have thought about a pissing hole/pipe. Maybe a pvc pipe going through the stand floor and then buried 2-3 feet below the ground.

I have a small, old fashion bathroom propane powered heater that I will install once it gets really cold.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Good catch Artemis!! Haha

Since it’s her family’s ranch and she is beginning to enjoy hunting with me, I wanted to build something that was nice and comfortable. I also wanted to build something that could hold our future “family” in it one day. Once we have kinds, I will be glad I made this stand big enough for everyone!
Terk
AG
Great idea on the window cutting! That's probably the biggest PITA about building a stand!
AggieBarstool
Looks good. I'm jealous.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
yeah, the windows are always the hardest part, but now they are pretty simple!
TRIDENT
AG
Looks good. A nice comfortable place to while away the hours with the wife out in the woods. Maybe you should get some new scrap carpet from a carpet store instead of "old" carpet, in case of rug burns.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I'll try calling a carpet place TRIDENT. good call.

Typically, I just go up to one in the evening and find some cleaner scrap pieces in their dumpster and take it home. I will check and see if they have any scraps that they couldn't use.
jackh
looks good. if it were me, id paint the outside of the windows black. that way they look the same no matter if theyre open or closed since the interior is black. but im anal
AGGIE WH08P
AG
yeah, I thought about that same thing, but ran out of paint!

maybe if I re-paint it again in a few years I'll do that

Terk
AG
Outstanding pictures, RC&S!
Tree Hugger
AG
A buddy of mine paints the interior of his stands white, says it keeps the yellowjackets away.

anyone else every heard of this?
Hoyt Ag
AG
We painted ours light blue but only on the ceiling. The rest of the interior was painted black.
Old Sarge
AG
I am going to paint the underfloor and ceiling/overhang of mine sky blue just for the yellowjacket issue.

Had not thought about the entire interior. Heck, we never used to paint our wood blinds many years ago. Not treated either, and they lasted for several years before they required any repairs. Of course, the wood seemed better back then (70's and 80's), and they did not have windows/doors. If they got wet, they dried out quickly.
Old Sarge
AG
Question for the OP:

We built an almost exact version of these wall panels for two 4x4 versions a few weeks ago.

Obviously these panels assemble in the field with screws. You have mounted the tin on the roof panel already.

On the 4x4 version when do you attach the roof? Prior to erection on the tower, or after?

We were planning to raise the floor up on the stands and then assemble the panels (8ft up), but placing the roof and attaching from the top becomes an issue with such a small roof area. We were hoping to do this with only two people.
MasterAggie
AG
We normally do it like you are talking about. Our platforms usually have enout space on the back to put some sort of step of laddertoget up top and screw the roof on without a problem.
OleRock02
AG
AggieWh08p - I think you live in my old neighborhood in Carrollton. I lived less than 100 yards from the intersection of Pawnee and Eisenhower before I moved to Midland last month.
Old Sarge
AG
MasterAggie,

I just found out that my BIL/ partner on this lease (only two guns) just broke his foot. Across the ball of his foot. Of course I am more concerned for his well being as that would entail multiple bones. However we were going to raise our blinds in a couple of weeks.

Now it looks like I will be getting the wifes help to assemble them at the house, and calling some friends to go for a raising in place. These blinds were not built for that, so it will be interesting to say the least, and will delay setting them up at least one to two more weekends.

Our hunting for the first few weeks is effed, as the deer will still be gettting used to them. Even then, he may not be able to get into them with his healing foot.

This is our first year on this place too, and still have camp to set up, etc. He is a great guy and am sure he will try and keep up, but will be hampered pretty bad. This sucks.

I hate Karate. First years ago my wife blew her ACL a few months before our wedding and honeymoon of off shore fishing in Cabo (thankfully it worked out), and now my BIL broke his foot doing Karate.

[This message has been edited by Old Sarge (edited 9/29/2010 10:29p).]
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Old Sarge---This is how we setup the stand once it’s built:
-Setup the scaffolding (or whatever foundation you are using)

- Install treated 4x4’s and attach them to scaffolding (use the 4x4 to support the base of my stand)

- install base of the stand

- Install any two perpendicular pieces. This allows you to give each panel something to “rest” on rather than installing two panels that sit right next to each other. One good wind will screw everything up!!

- Install the rest of the panels around the stand EXCEPT the front (or back) two. Before you add the final side panels, go ahead and lift up the roof. By doing it this way, you don't have to worry about getting ladders to help lift the roof above the side panels. Look in the 3rd picture from the bottom. You can see that I have all the sides up except the front two. The roof is resting on the other panels and is ready to be installed. Then, when I install the final front two panels, it should fit like the final piece to a puzzle!

Also Old Sarge, if it’s not too late, I would recommend using bolts rather than screws. If this stand is going on land you own and you know you will never move the stand, then screws will be fine. If you think you might ever change deer leases or want to relocate to another part of the lease, screws would probably make the life span a little shorter and bolts would be a little stronger. I use 3.5” bolts to bolt panels to the other panels. Then I use lag bolts to bolt the panels to the base and the roof to the vertical panels. I would like to use bolts on the roof, but lag screws allow me to screw from the inside and not have to worry about getting up too high on a ladder on the outside.

As for painting and colors, I have always just bought whatever cheap exterior “opps” paint HD or Lowe’s had. I have never once had to worry about wasp, coons, or mice being any problems in these stands. Like I mentioned before, we framed everything out and there are very few gaps once we put the stand together. Every so often we have a squirrel chew threw a corner, but with some quick modifications it keeps them out. And by painting these things, it really helps with their longevity. About every 4-6 years we usually do a quick paint job on some stands that look like their weathering more than others.

OlRock—small world! I just moved back from Amarillo about 3 weeks ago. Yeah, my parents live near Josey and Belt Line
usmc3529
Aggie,

Nice stand, I have been looking for a better way to build one and I think this is it. How long does it usually take you once you get going? Is the building portion usually a one man job or two? Is there a place on this site were your plans are located so I know which sides I need to offset?
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I'd say it's mostly a one man job. Two guys just helps make it go faster. You should be able to get this done on the weekend.

What's your email address? I'll see if I can send you a pdf file tomorrow sometime
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
I'd love to get that PDF of your plans too, if you're willing to share. I was sitting in an old blind this weekend thinking about making something very similar to what you've got here, and it looks like you've thought of everything!

Thanks!
AGGIE WH08P
AG
email sent SMA
Lukeno
AG
Very nice Wh08p..

We actually had a 4x8 blind almost identical to this years ago (was destroyed by Ike).
There aren't too many more things as fun as sitting gin a warm stand with a buddy or two calling foxes and coyotes.

There used to be a few Ags down here in Houston that had pretty awesome plans drawn up for 4x4 and 4x8 stands... I'll see if I can contact them
AGGIE WH08P
AG
On a 4x4 blind:
-each of the parallel sides will be the exact same. 2 will have the framed 2x2s offset by 1.5" (since the actual width is only 1.5" and not 2" if I remember correctly).
-then the other parallel sides will have their 2x2s framed flushed with the plywood.
-basically on each of the 4 corners, the 2x2s that butt up to each other need to have one that is off set and one that is flush. That way they can be bolted together.
-the top 2x2 on each of the 4 walls should be flush with the plywood. (never offset 1.5")
-the bottom 2x2 on the 4 sides can be offset any length. We just like having a "lip" to help butt up the plywood wall with the base when we are trying to erect these at our lease.

for 4x8 blinds:
basically, everything is the same EXCEPT on the front and back parallel walls you want the middle portion to have their 2x2s mounted flush rather than offset. Again, keep in mind that you want the 4 corners to have one flush 2x2 and one that is offset (so they can butt up against each other). However, if your blind is going to be 8' wide, the middle (where the two 4' wall meet on the front or back) need to have their 2x2s flush so you can bolt them together. If you accidentally offset them, you will not be able to bolt them together. Hopefully that make sense!!

also, when bolting all 4 corners together, I usually just use 3 bolts (carriage bolts so you don't have to get a wrench on the outside. On the lowest bolt I like to put a bigger heavy duty eye bolt. I use that to tie on to a t-post that I dive 4' into the ground.

As for height, the sheet of ply wood is 4x8. So you could keep it 8" tall, but I usually just do mine 7' since I am 6'4". The example shows 6'...my dad isn't as tall as me!

[url=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/aggiewh08p/media/deerstandplans1.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/aggiewh08p/media/deerstandplans2_zps6d99deba.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/aggiewh08p/media/deerstandplans3_zps4612f31d.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/aggiewh08p/media/deerstandplans5_zpsf2fe7e0d.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/aggiewh08p/media/deerstandplans4_zpsa5b0e880.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/aggiewh08p/media/deerstandplans6_zpsa03764ea.jpg.html][/url]
[url=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/aggiewh08p/media/deerstandplans7_zpsf49975b8.jpg.html][/url]
GWF
Is it possible to still get a copy of the plans and material list for this stand?

GWF
WIhunter
Do you still have the plans available to send. I have been keeping this bookmarked for sometime and now that it is time to build PhotoBucket screwed up almost every forum out there. Thanks in advance.
LovejoyAg
AG
Would be interested in those plans/pics also if still available.
AgEng08
AG
Hey AGGIE WH08P,

Do you still have a pdf of your plans available? This looks really nice. Would it be possible for you to email that to me?

THANKS!
DriftwoodAg
AG
shalackin said:

seen em with a urinal inside, has a pipe that goes down into the ground to get the pizz below ground!
this is a great idea! I took my 4 year old for the first time this year. Within 5 minutes of getting into the blind, he informs me that he has to go "potty".
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.