Dragon's Dogma 2

932 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by YouBet
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else pick this up, today? I've really been looking forward to it but was kind of bummed when I saw the console version would be locked at 30FPS and 4K, with no Performance Mode to get any more FPS.

I have a pretty good gaming laptop with an RTX3070, so decided to purchase on Steam because I could at least play with the settings to get some decent framerate; or, at least that was my plan. It turns out, this game is extremely CPU heavy for all the NPC logic. My FPS is all over the place and drops to what seems like 15FPS when I'm in the big city. I've played with ever graphics adjustment in the settings, and I'm getting the same experience whether i'm at 1080P or 4K. Looks to be 100% a CPU problem. Kind of a bummer.

Was wondering what other are possibly experiencing on console or PC.
Average Joe
AG
I've read the solution is to start laying waste to all of the NPC's to improve performance.
chase128
AG
Game looked fun/interesting. Was watching some early review videos. Found out this morning they added in microtransactions after release so the reviewers had no idea about them.

There's also only a single save file slot available right now. Not sure if that's changing
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I played the first and really enjoyed it so I was looking forward to this.

I've played about 3 hours on PS5 and haven't really had any issues. I wish it was 60 FPS or at least had a performance mode to keep a locked 30, but so far I haven't really noticed a problem.

The one slave slot is annoying, and no option to delete the save from in-game or start over is odd. But whatever, I can play another character with a separate profile.

The micro transactions are dumb but all of it is stuff you get in game and unnecessary to buy.

All in all I'm still excited to play but there are a lot of head scratching decisions, and for a AAA game in 2024 I can see why people are put off by the game.
DallasTeleAg
Have you been to the capital city yet? That's where I encountered the worst FPS hit.

I'm thinking I may go ahead and purchase on PS5 and request a refund on Steam. I have no idea why my computer experiences so many issues.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Anyone else pick this up, today? I've really been looking forward to it but was kind of bummed when I saw the console version would be locked at 30FPS and 4K, with no Performance Mode to get any more FPS.

I'm really starting to get annoyed with game developers in this regard. They continue to push the latest hardware for graphical flare and other computations... performance is usually the first thing they will sacrifice.

Games should be optimized to run at 60 on all modern consoles and mid level PCs. End of discussion. And for those with monster PCs, that's great, they can run it at 90-120 with RT shadows, etc.

30 FPS sucks. COD has had great looking games at 60 fps since the Xbox 360 era... it can be done!

Forum Troll
AG
Game lokks interesting but waiting for a performance patch for ps5. 30 fps is a joke and single save file/character is a joke.

Also microtransactions for a single player AAA $70 game is really disgraceful but can at least be ignored in game.
DallasTeleAg
I just don't understand my performance. My laptop specs are:
Intel 11th Gen i7-11800H
Nvidia RTX 3070
32GB DDR4 RAM
SSD for drive

When in town, my FPS jumps between 19 and 30, but my detailed GeForce overlay doesn't show my CPU or GPU to be working at max:

Drake aTm
AG
Reviews don't look too good right now
Artorias
AG
This is the first game I have ever refunded on Steam. Just not worth the $70 price tag in its current form. Will pick it up on sale which will probably happen pretty soon given the reception it is getting
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Average Joe said:

I've read the solution is to start laying waste to all of the NPC's to improve performance.

Apparently the game can do this for you! Your pawn can get the dragonplague and if you don't get rid of it they turn into a nuke and can kill everyone in a major city, causing you to fail quests. Super fun
rangerdanger
AG
Artorias said:

This is the first game I have ever refunded on Steam. Just not worth the $70 price tag in its current form. Will pick it up on sale which will probably happen pretty soon given the reception it is getting

My rule of thumb for anything Capcom. Got all those RE remakes for deep discounts just by waiting a few months. SF gouges the crap out of the early adopters as well.
YouBet
AG
I just discovered the first game last year and loved it. Was highly anticipating this one. Looks like I'll wait on this.

I'm probably buying a new gaming rig anyway so I can play BG3 first. Will add this later.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.