Formatting an SD card for a specialty application....

582 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Jetpilot86
Jetpilot86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an engine monitor on my airplane that is formatted FAT (16) and is 2gb. I've tried various partitioning programs to format a 64gb, and an 8gb that I had lying around so I could swap cards each time I fly vs drag my laptop out and download the card in the plane each time.

I formatted both for FAT, but when they are in the monitor, it won't boot up with one of my cards in it unless I pull the card, let it boot up, then put the card back in. When I do that, it won't write to that card. I don't get any error messages that might help figure it out. However, when I put the OEM card in, works just fine. The company will happily send me an extra 2gb card for $50. I'm too cheap.

Is there any way I can look at ALL the settings from the OEM card so I can figure out what I didn't duplicate properly? I know enough about this stuff to be dangerous.

I've already tried setting the Part size to both 4000 and 2000 and neither worked so I figure it's set to something different on the OEM SD Card and if I can figure that out, perhaps can match it on the backup SD card.

TIA
FatZilla
AG
Buy some dirt cheap 2gb SD cards off amazon/ebay, you can get multi packs of 2gb for $10. Then use a disk image cloning program to first wipe the new card and then clone the image over. A full direct clone is best in this scenario rather than trying to partition a large card down and format it and get a section matching exactly what you needed. Once cloned, modify what you want or just let is override after you insert as it does its monitoring.

Try macrium free trial for the cloning, they have decent software.
https://www.macrium.com/products/home

Seen some recommendations for diskgenius.com but haven't tried them
Jetpilot86
AG
Thanks, unfortunately the software costs more than me just having the company send me a spare SD card. <facepalm emoji>

Fortunately, the laptop is light.
boy09
AG
I don't know what you're using to format the cards, but when SD cards want to start acting finicky, i've had the best luck with the SD Association Formatter. I don't have a <4gb SD card to test it myself, so i'm not sure if it supports FAT16. But it's worth a shot.
FatZilla
AG
Jetpilot86 said:

Thanks, unfortunately the software costs more than me just having the company send me a spare SD card. <facepalm emoji>

Fortunately, the laptop is light.

They have a free trial of the software for 30 days to create the cards. Do you need to continuously create them?
Bregxit
AG
I would bet that the application can't handle a partitioned SD card. As said above, grab a couple of cheap 2GB cards (FAT16 limit), format them and try that.
Koko Chingo
AG
EDIT:

Scratch what I originally wrote. I was remotely logged into an old computer I use as a poor mans NAS and also for some tinkering.

You cannot format FAT16 on something that large. However, I have SD Cards attached and was looking. I have 2 SD cards that are 2 GB each.

If you are in BCS or fly into Easterwood, you can have them. I work very close to the airport.

- at least give me until Saturday Morning, lol. That's where I log, errors in my system. I have been meaning to log them to a Google Doc anyway.

Jetpilot86
AG
I've used this to format what I have. I'll have to check the volume label on the working one. I'll probably end up with the laptop sitting in the plane formatting right there.

The nav ones work great, this is for an Engine Monitor that writes data to csv files.
Jetpilot86
AG
No, should be a one off.
Jetpilot86
AG
This is the one I'm using.
Koko Chingo
AG
I just edited my post because I wasn't paying attention. I do have a couple of 2GB cards that you can have if you like. If in BCS or fly into Easterwood.
Jetpilot86
AG
If I haven't solved this by the time I get there next, I'll let you know. Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.