Total Solar Eclipse time again!

29,072 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by zag213004
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was awesome! Witnessed at the Fort Worth Zoo. There were a few clouds going over it but we were able to see the corona. Some of the animals were puzzled. The coyotes woke up.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
That was my first total eclipse. What a super cool experience. Intermittent clouds but held out just long enough
Esteban du Plantier
AG
You got a bit sharper image than me. What equipment did you use?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Yours looked great too. A Nikon z7ii and a 200-500
nai06
AG
That was so freaking cool. I get the hype now. I took some pictures with my cell phone and an eclipse app but nothing will do it justice. Actually experiencing that was amazing
aggietony2010
AG
Drove to Dallas, fretted with cloud forecasts and then around 11 today decided to head to a Buc-ee's in Terrell.

Clouds gave way at the perfect time (cloudy picture was literally 2 minutes before totality).
4:21 of totality. 2 minutes after totality ended, the clouds were so thick you couldn't see the sun at all.

What an amazing experience.

jr15aggie
AG
Those pics are great! I could see those solar flares with the naked eye. Couldn't tell what they were at the time other than some brighter spots around the edge.
Mathguy64
AG
Dang it. I watched for a minute and had about 90 seconds for pics. Looks like the corona totally blew mine out. You can see CMEs but the corona blew out. I was way overexposed. I was changing the aperture and moving the exposure limits as fast as I could to try and bracket it and I never went far enough.
Roll the Bones
AG
We had the exact opposite experience at our house in McKinney. Clouds were breaking up and we could see the approaching eclipse, then about 5 minutes before totality the thickest clouds rolled in. They rolled out 3 minutes after totality ended. So we had 0 views of the totality unfortunately.

Very cool to experience the darkness and quiet calm, but man I'm bummed...
RED AG 98
AG
Whoa! Nice shot from the arena on Geidi Prime!
bco2003
AG
Roll the Bones said:

We had the exact opposite experience at our house in McKinney. Clouds were breaking up and we could see the approaching eclipse, then about 5 minutes before totality the thickest clouds rolled in. They rolled out 3 minutes after totality ended. So we had 0 views of the totality unfortunately.

We're not too far away in west Frisco, but had a clear sight of it here. Crazy what a little distance makes.
flintdragon
AG
was in Cedar Park and only caught glimpses of the sun during the first part of the eclipse. Was happy that the heavy clouds stayed away so at least the darkness would be more pronounced. Then a few minutes before totality, we realized the clouds had vanished!

The event was spectacular. Caught baileys beads through my 12x binoculars and the solar flares. Phone couldn't quite get a good pic.
Guppy91
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Holy smokes. That was spectacular. I don't think pictures and descriptions prepare you for it.

Exactly!! Phenomenal show!

double aught
AG
Some clouds during totality but it almost added to it. Very thankful that overall the weather was favorable. What an experience!
Phat32
AG
That was the absolute tits
wangus12
AG
bco2003 said:

Roll the Bones said:

We're not too far away in west Frisco, but had a clear sight of it here. Crazy what a little distance makes.
I'm up north of 380 in McKinney and we had a clear gap for totality
Decay
AG
I had no idea how incredible the corona is. Few pictures capture it.
jr15aggie
AG
double aught said:

Some clouds during totality but it almost added to it. Very thankful that overall the weather was favorable. What an experience!

Agreed.

My sky was mostly clear during totality, but the haze and passing clouds for the 45 min leading up to it almost made it more enjoyable. I was able to watch a lot of it with regular sunglasses since the clouds took away the intensity.

Made it a lot easier to take in all the lighting changes instead of spending most of my time inside the super dark eclipse glasses.
Decay
AG
Oh also we left Round Rock about 2:15 and drove home to DFW and had about 10 min total of slow downs.

If there was eclipse traffic, we didn't hit any of it.
labmansid
Wow! That was so awesome! My first totality, bucket list item checked off. We ventured to Cedar Park to a relative's place, and were a bit worried about clouds. We got lucky breaks during the initial partial phase, and right before totality a larger gap opened up for the most part. Only missed maybe the last few seconds of totality. Loved seeing Baily's Beads, the Corona, and all of the prominences due to the near peak of the solar cycle.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
I think you win the pic prize. Nice!
Pman17
AG
Decay said:

Oh also we left Round Rock about 2:15 and drove home to DFW and had about 10 min total of slow downs.

If there was eclipse traffic, we didn't hit any of it.
Sounds like a lot of people cancelled when they saw the clouds forecast. Many of these small towns overestimated.

You never know till like the day before or day of. But you know, cancellation policies.
labmansid
BenTheGoodAg said:

I think you win the pic prize. Nice!
Aww, shucks! Thanks! Just thankful we had enough breaks in the clouds to get something.
TefIon Don
AG
Best one I got!

Instead of dropping my oldest at daycare, I took him with me and we drove north from Katy. Figured Reagan/Marlin/Riesel would be our best shot of finding somewhat clear skies but avoiding the 35 traffic. Got lucky when I found this rock quarry in Marlin. Clouds cleared right before the event happened. Absolutely worth the trip.

CDub06
AG
nai06 said:

That was so freaking cool. I get the hype now. I took some pictures with my cell phone and an eclipse app but nothing will do it justice. Actually experiencing that was amazing

This exactly. One of the few things in my life that actually EXCEEDED expectations. It's an astronomical event, but really felt like something you only see on TV in space footage. What an experience.
I get how people travel vast distances for this now.
AZAG08
AG
We got just enough break in the clouds at Buchanan Dam today that it turned out to be a great experience!

wessimo
AG
Alright, who is making plans for 8/12/26?

Iceland would be cool but Spain has the better chances for clear skies.
jr15aggie
AG
I doubt I will ever travel to see one, but I know my initial thought after it was over was that I desperately wanted to see it again. That ~3 minutes wasn't near long enough.

But I will never be able to top the experience of seeing it from my own back yard, so it will most likely just remain a cherished once in a lifetime memory.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Based on the number of major cities it hit, many are saying this was the most witnessed solar eclipse in human history.
Fenrir
Kind of sucks that most of it is over the ocean when Iceland is going to be under the eclipse (although reykjavik does appear to be under some length of time for totality based on that map). The 2028 eclipse does go right over the top of Sydney and hits the southern part of New Zealand though.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Ibiza is in the path of totality. I bet that will be an insane party
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgsMyDude
AG
Very jealous. We were in totality as well but it was cloudy AF. Couldn't see anything but it was really awesome how dark it got.

Foxes and coyotes went crazy. Birds started chirping like it was morning when it started getting light again.

Wish we could have caught a glimpse though
Tailgate88
AG
Here's how to donate your solar eclipse glasses to help children see the next one

Quote:

(Gray News) - Now that the 2024 total solar eclipse is over, you may be wondering what to do with your leftover eclipse glasses.

You could keep them as a souvenir or simply throw them away, but a company based in Utah wants children in other parts of the world to enjoy the eclipse experience and you can help.
Eclipse Glasses USA is asking people to donate their undamaged glasses by August 1 so school-aged children in South America can watch the next annular solar eclipse in October.

"Imagine a classroom in a remote village, where students have only read about solar eclipses in their textbooks. Now, thanks to the donation program, they have the opportunity to witness it firsthand, with their own eyes, safely shielded by the glasses provided by generous donors from thousands of miles away," the company wrote on its website.

The address to mail the glasses is:

Eclipse Glasses USA
PO Box 50571
Provo, UT 84605

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/04/09/how-your-used-eclipse-glasses-can-help-children-south-america/
lazuras_dc
AG
Ags, where were you?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.