iOS & the Delete Key

6,562 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Really???
AggieHank86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Can ANYONE tell me why iOS devices do not have a "delete" key?
Who cares?
Obviously, I was curious/interested, or I would not have asked the question. If you were not interested, it would have been a simple matter to ignore the question.
PooDoo
AG
I guess I don't understand the big deal... Is a delete key more than a backspace key that moves the opposite way?
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
I guess I don't understand the big deal... Is a delete key more than a backspace key that moves the opposite way?
I am guessing that you did not read the entire thread. There is a function on this Forum (certain editing within embedded quotes while using an iPad) for which the backspace DOES NOT WORK correctly (it deletes hidden codes, no matter what you do), but the delete accomplishes the task correctly.

EDIT:
Found a solution. There is a button on the Reply screen that lets you toggle to display hidden codes. When you toggle to that screen, you can backspace without deleting format codes.

For those who tried to help, Thanks.
TexasRebel
AG
They omitted it to save screen space.

Rarely when typing do you have to delete characters you haven't typed yet (to the right of the cursor).
hph6203
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Who cares?
Obviously, I was curious/interested, or I would not have asked the question. If you were not interested, it would have been a simple matter to ignore the question.
Your initial post screamed complaint not curiosity, you shouldn't be surprised by the response.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Who cares?
Your initial post screamed complaint not curiosity, you shouldn't be surprised by the response.
I probably had a testy attitude because I have been looking for the answer for several days, and no one anywhere on the Internet (plus Mac Resources) seemed to know the answer.

This thread did make me think along a different track, which led me to looking at old Apple II-plus and PC-XT keyboards and which therefore let me find the answer.

So, it was productive for me.
JJxvi
AG
Do Android and windows phones have both delete and backspace? Id be suprised considering the screen real estate waste that that would be. Why Macs have no delete key is a different question...but why iOS dont is an easy answer...its so that they dont have to waste space on two keys for a keyboard that already has to span multiple sections on a limited screen.
JJxvi
AG
And if they do have Delete...then do Android and Windows phones also have Insert, Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys?
JJxvi
AG
Unlike backspace, which has always been critical, Delete like tge other 5 above are word processor centric keys. Added by MS/IBM to enhance the word processing capabilities of the keyboard.

An iphone is not a word processor
Really???
I'm having trouble freeing up the expanded memory on my S5. I added these lines to the config.sys but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Thoughts?

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /V
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM /MIN=0 I=B000-B7FF /V
Charpie
AG
Is this for real? Is this like the laser disc thread?
Cloud
I love this thread.
TexasRebel
AG
rynning
AG
quote:
Why doesn't iOS have the Windows start button?
Windows Mobile had a start button, but its marketshare peaked in 2007 for some strange reason...

TXAG 05
AG
I don't know how I have made it this long with out knowing there was a difference between the backspace and delete keys.
aggiebq03+
just stick to using the mobile TexAgs site on all devices. But if you must use the regular site just reveal the hidden code (see you already found this).

But seriously, just stick to the mobile site.
Al Bula
AG
If you dare question the almighty Apple, be ready to fend off serious asshurt from the Apple lemmings.

I have had three iPhones (currently on 6S) and one iPad, so I love the devices. Only have owned one Android total and I wasn't crazy about it.

Sometimes it is OK to question design even in great products from Apple.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
If you dare question the almighty Apple, be ready to fend off serious asshurt from the Apple lemmings.

I have had three iPhones (currently on 6S) and one iPad, so I love the devices. Only have owned one Android total and I wasn't crazy about it.

Sometimes it is OK to question design even in great products from Apple.
And some times the design questions are a non-issue.
nai06
AG
quote:
And if they do have Delete...then do Android and Windows phones also have Insert, Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys?

The keyboard on my s5 has delete, back space, and all arrow keys
Really???
quote:
I don't know how I have made it this long with out knowing there was a difference between the backspace and delete keys.
You've probably never had need of the delete key outside of command functions.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.