***** Official Star Citizen Thread *****

23,635 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Dark_Knight
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(I'm a little surprised this game hasn't generated more interest in here so I'm gonna go ahead and do that.)

You should go ahead and sign-up...
(yup, there's a referral code on this - but you get 5,000 in-game credits if you use it, and nothing if you don't...)

Roberts Space Industries
(sign-up with link below to get some free in-game credits)

Quote:

"I don't want to build a game.
I want to build a universe."

From the mind of Chris Roberts, acclaimed creator of Wing Commander and Freelancer, comes STAR CITIZEN. 100% crowd funded, Star Citizen aims to create a living, breathing science fiction universe with unparalleled immersion and you're invited to follow every step of development!
More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO: Star Citizen is the First Person Universe that will allow for unlimited gameplay.

Game Overview

The game is currently in production (with planned release in Q4 2016) with constant updates and studio reports including interviews with devs an Chris Roberts. They are still actively fundraising by offering preorders of the game with an in-game ship. Prices start at $45 and include one of the basic beginner ships and go up to $15,000 (which includes every ship plus a ton of in-game credits and items). There are no subscription fees and all ships offered as rewards for pre-ordering will be available for purchase using in-game credits. The game (in Alpha form) currently runs on lower end systems and will include support for all upcoming VR systems.

Playable content: see full list on content here
  • Public Testing Universe (PVE, PVP and first person content)
  • Arena Commander (training and multiplayer PVE content including multiplayer game modes Battle Royal 16v16 free-for-all, 8v8 Squadron Battle, 6v6 Capture the Flag and racing)
  • Social Module: ArcCorp
  • Hanger Module (to view purchased ships, change loadouts and personal customization)

If you've played Wing Commander, Privateer or Freelancer this game is in the same vein... but multiplayer with amazing visuals.

Clan - TAMU

Players:
TA - Handle
wee_ag - BuzzedFerret
mid90 - mid90
theEyeGuy - Armadillo05
pantalga - pantalga
tamusc - Daredevil7
Texas Red - ProtoJ
NewOldAg - Imperalias_Cordonis
SeattleAgJr
I bought into it in the early days during the kickstarter, but rarely play. I am too concerned feature creep is going to continue as bad and as long as it has, and we will never get an actual final product.
Ganondorf
AG
I tried a free weekend but couldn't figure out how to get a ship out of the hanger they put me in. It was bad. Nothing told me how to do anything. Maybe something glitched and i want supposed to be there.
Tomdoss92
AG
at this point it really smells like the project itself is just a process to keep bringing in more money to keep things afloat rather than to ever actually deliver a game. it has generated what 100 Million? my guess now is that it goes bust before ever being "finished". he's gone into full defense mode talking about how they never said you would actually play a game in two years etc etc.
at least they haven't yet said "Chris Roberts's about to make you his *****."
SeattleAgJr
quote:
at this point it really smells like the project itself is just a process to keep bringing in more money to keep things afloat rather than to ever actually deliver a game. it has generated what 100 Million? my guess now is that it goes bust before ever being "finished". he's gone into full defense mode talking about how they never said you would actually play a game in two years etc etc.
at least they haven't yet said "Chris Roberts's about to make you his *****."
So you lived in Dunn Hall, and graduated in 1992?

I lived there Spring 89-Sprint 90. Just curious if we overlapped.
wee_ag
AG
*sigh*

I get it, social fundraising has a bad wrap, as does this game, but if you haven't looked into what's going on in the past two years, you really should have another look.

Check out the following info and let me know if you still feel the same:
Current feature list
Studio updates - including behind the scenes footage of actors, Q&A with devs and Chris Roberts, progress of game elements and design, plus more.
Speaking of, here's a list of the voice actors involved so far... (Squadron 42)

• Mark Hamill
  • Gary Oldman
  • Gillian Anderson
  • Andy Serkis
  • Liam Cunningham
  • Gemma Whelan
  • Mark Strong
  • John Rhys-Davies
  • Craig Fairbrass
  • Rhona Mitra
  • Sophie Wu
  • Jack Huston
  • Ben Mendelsohn
  • Harry Treadaway
  • Ian Duncan
The website as a whole has a crap load of information about the game and progress being made.

And I agree that the Alpha gameplay is lacking in explanation, but the Arena Commander module is great for training and giving you the basics of what the heck to do in a ship. If you haven't logged in a while I recommend it.

On a side note, had some sweet dog fights with some other players last night.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
<wall of text snipped>
EXCEPT he could have released a completed, basic fully functional flight/combat space simulator by this time. But he keeps splitting his team, adding in new features and other scope creep and NOTHING is actually getting completed.

Yes, we have the alpha/beta whatever where we can jump in our ships, walk around, and recently do some cursory FPS interactions, but the CORE game is not getting done, and honestly shows no sign of being completed any time soon.

Yet features N..Z are being hyped up, more ships are being designed and pimped out, and a feature complete base game release date keeps slipping away.

Add to that the rumours of the cash burn funding all those stars and it is looking very possible that this projects runs out of money (even at $100 million plus) before we get A game.
mid90
Eliminatus
AG
I looked at it a while back and immediately backpedaled away. I have been burned by too many games they over promise and under deliver. (Star Forge anyone?) This has every single hallmark of that happening again.

The premise has a lot of promise but I have zero confidence this will pan out into the game we all want. I hope t doe sobviously...but I sure as **** will be keeping my money until several months after release of a full no joke final release version. At that time I will reevaluate it.
javajaws
AG
quote:
quote:
<wall of text snipped>
EXCEPT he could have released a completed, basic fully functional flight/combat space simulator by this time. But he keeps splitting his team, adding in new features and other scope creep and NOTHING is actually getting completed.

This is what you get with crowdfunded development. He has no shareholders or board to be responsible to so he can do pretty much whatever he wants.

If the crowdfunding ever stops coming in and they still need money - guess what his company is worth to a future investor? You don't have to start from scratch - you have $100 million worth of development you can buy for pennies on the dollar and put out a game (or a whole franchise worth of games) for a minuscule amount of investment.

Having said that...I've bought a starter package because this is a game I want to see made. And flying around in arena commander with a high end PC is f*&^ing incredible.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I'm on board with it after the fly free. Really enjoying it and looking into what ship I want to buy now.
wee_ag
AG
javajaws - what's your handle? I'll put you in the OP
wee_ag
AG
Member of our crew just got the 4 man Constellation Aquila... we about to rock the universe son!

SF2004
AG
I was glad this never showed up here. This thing is on a path to duke nukem forever. Need to sell ships to continue financing past expenses.

This game is a joke so far. The fact the the same "gamers" who ***** about ea and activision are pouring money into this thing is comical.

This is a testament to the fact the without the big publishers the creative types would never get their games to the market because of feature creep and the never ending "it's not perfect".
kbassil
kbassil
AG
In!

Handle = KitchenSink

Game has taken 2.5 years to develop, so I can understand where some people are fatigued by it. I feel the same way about DayZ. However, this latest "free fly" has been some of the most fun I've had with my "gamer buddies" in years. I didn't even know about the game until a week ago, and I've already dropped some serious coin on it.

Also, to those of you complaining of "feature creep", PLEASE give this a video a watch. Only ~3 minutes. I'd love to hear your thoughts after watching.

kbassil
AG
quote:
I was glad this never showed up here. This thing is on a path to duke nukem forever. Need to sell ships to continue financing past expenses.

This game is a joke so far. The fact the the same "gamers" who ***** about ea and activision are pouring money into this thing is comical.

This is a testament to the fact the without the big publishers the creative types would never get their games to the market because of feature creep and the never ending "it's not perfect".
Source for any of this? I don't think you can back up any of your claims.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I specifically stayed out of the game until now. I've been following since kickstarter and honestly am now comfortable with jumping in. I didn't go nuts with a ship, but did upgrade over the base one and will have no qualms with dropping a bit more for an even better one between now and launch, if I feel like it will benefit me. Admittedly, when playing last night, I did have some issues but the other nights that we played have been flawless. It may even had to do with the fact that I was trying to run a joystick and a keyboard/mouse at the same time (hadn't done that before with this game) and was giving it an entire night before saying no to it. And the only reason I'm ditching the joystick is because my ship has a turret in addition to the flight controls, so I can aim separately from flying. If that weren't the case, I'd be sticking with a joystick since it does help keep your orientation, imo.
SF2004
AG
quote:
quote:

Source for any of this? I don't think you can back up any of your claims.
I can't hit the link at work where a bunch of people were let go and then let the cat out of the bag. Not to mention that Chris Roberts (thought very talented) has never had a successful game on his own. He needs direction.

You have been following this game for all of a week. The entire history of how they are raising and burning through money is all the support you need. They have blown through $100MM and they barely have a playable piece of a game. They have to keep selling ships to even keep the doors open, which takes large resources from actually developing the game.

For the record, I want this game to come out and be good but it ain't looking too good right now. How can this game possibly live up to someone who has invested hundreds in ships expectations?
kbassil
AG
I am not some fanboy not of the franchise, but im not going to comdemn it over rumors either. I'd take you serious if you linked any proof at all.

Also, did you watch that video? Because you need to watch that video.
benMath08
AG
I'm fairly skeptical about this game, perhaps even more so after the letdown that Elite Dangerous was. I'm definitely aware of the game but haven't paid close attention to particular features or the dev cycle at large.

I played it a few days ago when there was a free trial going on that didn't require you to buy a ship. I started in a sort of dorm-style space station and was able to select a ship and run out onto the docking platform and get inside. Everything looked real nice, although the framerate was pretty bad. The immersion of being able to open my ship's doors, step inside, and sit down at the pilot's seat was a real nice touch.

I lifted off the platform and took my ship a short distance away from the dock. I decided I'd get up out of the pilot's seat and wander around my tiny ship, since I think that's a really cool feature (especially if my ship were bigger) and something I couldn't do in Elite. About 5 seconds later I somehow clipped outside of my ship and was floating in space. Luckily I was in a vacuum suit with jets, but I couldn't control myself well enough to get back to the door of my ship.

Then I quit the game and decided I'd just wait for the retail release, if that ever happens.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I am not some fanboy not of the franchise, but im not going to comdemn it over rumors either. I'd take you serious if you linked any proof at all.

Also, did you watch that video? Because you need to watch that video.
I happened to be in front of my home computer when I saw this. I believe this is the article SF2004 is relating to.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo

Take that for what you will. While I know it isn't unheard of to hire people for specific jobs and then let them go once completed, that article doesn't encourage me to spend $$$$$$$ on the game/ships that they are asking me to spend.

Also, in response to that video Elite: Dangerous has planet landing already in its expansion Horizons. That video seems like the ships is on a scripted path. I've been playing Elite since 1/2015, and while Star Citizen is interesting I still refer to it as being forever in Alpha. If it ever is actually released, I doubt I will spend more than the base amount on the game.
kbassil
AG
Ah yes, I did see this Escapist "article" but I thought it was already verified as bogus? If I recall, this was based on some potentially fake reviews from the website GLASSDOOR. Here's what I'm referring to:

https://www.reddit.com/comments/3n6lum/escapist_anonymous_sources_uncovered/

I do also see that Escapist updated their article to say they didn't use Glassdoor, but they're not really bringing any new evidence to the table and it's been ~4 months since all of that, so I've dismissed the whole thing at this point.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Cloud Imperium/Chris Roberts claimed it was bogus. That was a solid piece of journalism IMO and better than most news articles you see on a daily basis. You can believe or not believe it, that's your right.

Protecting sources is normal so that they are free of reprisal I believe.

Personally, I don't doubt that funds have been mismanaged and that Roberts over promised.
kbassil
AG
Hah on this I can agree - I have NO doubt that at least some part of $100 million dollars has been mismanaged to one degree or another.

However, the point that I'm trying to make is that they've produced an impressive alpha product (built from the ground up) in about a 2.5 year timeline. That timing seems very reasonable to me.

Also, they've provided in game footage of being able to warp around space at the speed of light, pick a planet, and descend down onto the terrain all in real time. That's what's in the video I linked you. This stuff has never been done before and its already in-game ready. I expect to see it in the next few months with the alpha 3.0 update.

Oh, also, the game is in this current state with a projected release date of year end 2016 / early 2017. I'm very excited with what I'm seeing right now.

So while I agree that some funds have been mismanaged, they are showing SIGNIFICANT progress on all aspects of the game.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Yeah and? My point is that beyond the first person ability of going around your ship or onto a station, none of that is special anymore. ED has 400 billion systems in it, and has had planet landing since 12/15. And that's a product that has been released and will be adding things to it as the game grows.

SC will have to impress me in a real way to distinguish itself.
kbassil
AG
Please don't turn this into a ED vs. SC thing, because that's the sense I'm getting. It's not a contest.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Ah I just re-read your earlier comment and say your an ED fan. Please don't turn this into a ED vs. SC thing, because that's the sense I'm getting. It's not a contest.

I didn't say that I'm an ED fan, unless you read player as fan. I'm using it as a comparison since they both are space pilot/sims. ED has some well deserved criticism.

I didn't buy into ED's beta, and have only gotten into it since it has been released.

Eta: Also, there are two or three other space sim games in the pipeline coming.
kbassil
AG
Love to hear anyone elses opinion in support, against, or neutral!
mid90
AG
Played once the other night with kbassil, eyeguy, wee, and others. Had problems with my mic, so I didn't stick around too long, but the views around the station were breathtaking.

I didn't even get in a ship. All I wanted to do with stand on the outer docking platforms and take in the view.

Hopefully the game will actually come along and not be another DayZ. I probably won't put any money into it until it actually releases, for that reason.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
Yeah and? My point is that beyond the first person ability of going around your ship or onto a station, none of that is special anymore. ED has 400 billion systems in it, and has had planet landing since 12/15. And that's a product that has been released and will be adding things to it as the game grows.

SC will have to impress me in a real way to distinguish itself.
Well, if that comparison's going to be made... What was ED's budget & staffing, how long was it in development? Does it include PVP servers & game modes (first-person and ship based) like capture the flag, deathmatch, team deathmatch, co-op battling of waves of enemies, etc? What about the ability to fly around with friends in the same ship (each manning different stations)? Does it include a campaign/story mode? I believe Star Citizen is a pay once model and you get everything ($45 for game with basic ship, spend more for better ships which you can also buy with in-game currency) and it looks like ED has optional DLC content?

ED looks sweet, and I like the developer (especially excited about Planet Coaster ) but with Robert's history with games like Wing Commander, Privateer & Freelancer and the multiplayer options I was swayed toward SC.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
ED looks sweet, and I like the developer (especially excited about Planet Coaster ) but with Robert's history with games like Wing Commander, Privateer & Freelancer and the multiplayer options I was swayed toward SC.
Most of what you have listed is in development, except for having a campaign. ED, to the best of my knowledge, is not going to have campaign given the nature of the game. The basic difference here is that FD has decided to release the game in expansions and installments instead of all at once, which is how Cloud Imperium/SC are apparently doing it. The model to fund the game after launch is different here, and I bet you're probably aware of that. I'm betting SC is going to go with ships and micro transactions. ED is going about it by having expansions as DLC.

And FD has apparently rearranged their products. You can get the base game for something like $15 and the expansion/DLC for $37. That's a better deal than it was before Horizons went into beta. Prior to Horizons being released you could jump into and get access to the Horizons expansion for the same price that I bought the game for.
kbassil
AG
bump

Got hijacked, shot at while exploring a space station, shot down while refueling, and killed a friend by turning too fast while they tried to board my ship. 8/10 would alpha again.
NewOldAg
AG
What computer specs are necessary? I've got a upper middle class machine, but definitely not a 4K graphics gamer.
tamusc
AG
I'm definitely in on Star Citizen (I've hit Grand Admiral).

My handle is Daredevil7. I've added everyone listed in the OP.

I generally mess around with the new Builds when they drop and have enjoyed messing around with the Sabre on the 2.2 PTU. Based on the last few PTU builds I would expect 2.2 to hit general release in the next week or so.

If anyone is setting up a new account, feel free to use my referral code STAR-DNDY-JMCG. Any new account that buys a game package will get 5,000 extra UEC (in game currency) if they use any referral code.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.